The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
ZVP

'58 Remingtons

I am suprised that I don't see more Remington Cartrige conversions and the late model "Cartrige" remingtons at our local CAS events.
Our shooting club hosts mny various clubs and across the board you see Rugers, and Colt style revolvers with the Remingtons falling in last place.
For Black Powder applications rumor has it that Remingtons tend to krud-up faster than other makes Not so in my experience!)
Colt style C&B styles have far more split, hammer jammed, and cylinder jammed hang-ups.
Rugers are near flawless!
Remingtons have proven to me that they hold their spent caps well and when the Cap disentegrqtes, they esilly fall clear of the action! I have NEVER experienced a hang up with a Remmie from a Cap hanging up on the hammer!
Far as use with cartriges, the Remingtons are as dependable as any!
My favorite Remington is my 5 1/2" Sherrifs model. It handles beautifully and draws with ease!
I carry the Remington in a 1880's cross-draw holster, It is completelly out of the way and draws quicklly!
I guess Colt just made a better showing in the historical rumors division!
JMHO
BPDave
Old November 20, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2
Bootsie

I am a conversion man myself, however of the Colt fraction. I share and confirm your observations. Hence I like to add some thoughts.
IMHO the targelt group for conversions in the sport ist very limited. It is primarily those (few) shooters striving for period correctness of cloths and guns, at the expense of competitiveness.
Over here in Germany we, a group of hard core conversionistas, made a comparative torture test 2011/12 of all available C&B revolvers and their conversions in CAS activities . Parts of the test were published in the Cowboy Chronicle in 2012.
In essence this is what we found:
# before trying conversions most these shooters used to compete either in the Frontiersman or Classic Cowboy class.
# the classes being as they are today in SASS (or BDS Westernschießen over here) in competition shooting the conversion shooters are judged like any other breech loading revolver shooters of the closed frame or break open design.
# if two comparatively able shooters were starting say shooter A with a pair of Colt SAA clones and shooter B with a pair of conversions shooter A would win! These findings were confirmed over and over again.
# to add injury to insult when it comes to BP loads within the conversion groups the Colt conversion or Open Top shooters would out-perform the Remington conversion shooters - no matter if modern factory conversions (Ubertis) or modern C&B Revolvers converted by conversion artists were used. The open top designs just last much longer in a match without malfunctions from crud compared to Remington designs.
FWIW I am continuing shooting my Colt type conversions for 3 years now almost exclusively in competition shoots ... and I am having great fun doing that. And the number of other conversionistas is growing ... very slowly.
Long Johns Wolf
Old November 20, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Colt46

I love the conversions

But, for serious events I'd say the various conversions are more of a novelty than a serious contender.
Old November 20, 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
wheelyfun

I don't shoot Cowboy Action, but my factory conversion from Cimarron Arms has been OUTSTANDING!
Accurate and tight fit and finish.....trigger is FAR superior to ANY of my Ruger single actions....

Old November 20, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Rigmarol

I shoot a brace of Colt Dragoons (sig series) with Kirst Konversions in my CAS matches and have a great time with them. I shoot 45colt Black Powder ammo and go home with black teeth for all the smiling I do!

A modern cartridge gun may be faster and easier all but if that's what you are looking for go wild bunch style and shoot 1911s.