The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
74camaroman

Winchester Safe Warrentee KODO'S

Just to let everyone know. In 2005 I bought a 60x30x22 Winchester gun safe at Sam's Club for under $600.00. This safe is made by Granite Security Products. It has a fire rating of 1200 degrees for 32 minutes, inside temperature not to exceed 350 degrees. I just recently had problems with the safe. I changed the battery for the electronic lock and the locking bolts wouldn't withdraw. This safe has a lifetime warrentee to the original owner. I called the customer support and they sent a new key pad and inside lock mechanism and had a local locksmith come to the house and got everything working fine. This Safe has a very good fire rating and the hinges are on the inside. I don't think anybody could go wrong with the purchase of this safe. I wanted to make sure that they got their Kodo's for such great customer service.
Old January 24, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2
a1abdj

Granite is the only company that I'm aware of that still builds gun safes in the sub $1,000 range here in the US. Most of the other companies import their lower end lines.

We do a lot of warranty work for the various safe manufacturers, and I will say that most of them do treat their customers well.

If you actually read the warranties most of these companies offer, the locks are not covered. The lock warranty is covered by the manufacturer of the lock, which is well expired in your case. I would say you were very lucky that they decided to cover the expense, although I've heard of them doing it before.

In this business it is common knowledge that all electronic locks will fail. When they fail, they will need to be drilled. Anybody who offers a lifetime warranty on an electronic lock is a fool.
Old January 27, 2008, 03:04 PM   #3
74camaroman

Lifetime Product Warranty

Hi a1abdj. This is what the Warrenty is as stated by the Manufacturer:

This safe made by Granite Security Products, Inc. comes with a lifetime of warranty protection. It is warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship, as well as damage from burglary attack or fire for as long as the original purchaser owns the safe.

The warranty applies to the original owner only, and proof of purchase is required to obtain service.

Granite may, at its decretion, repair or replace the defective or damaged safe. If the safe is defective or damaged to the extent that it can not be opened through normal means: Granite will have the safe opened by a skilled technician at Granite's expense and pay to have the safe returned to the factory, and return freight to the owner. This warranty does not cover labor cost to remove or install the safe.

This warranty also provides Free Replacement of the safe if it is damaged in a burglary attack or fire. Free replacement claims must be submitted to granite in writing along with a timely police or fire department report. Photos of the damaged safe must accompany the claim.

The warranty does not cover neglect, misuse, or abuse. It also does not cover damage caused by tampering or altering the product or safes not kept in a climate controlled environment. The safe must be properly installed as instructed in the Operators Manual.

Certain exclusions to this warranty are: safes in a Commerical or Industrial enviroment, water damage of any kind, paint finish, loss or damage of personal peroperty inside the safe, and safes located outside the continental United States.

Granite Security Products, Inc. provides this warranty in place of all other warranties and assurances whether expressed or implied. Granite Security Products, Inc. accepts no liability for incidental or consequential damage or loss by anyone as a result of using this safe.

This say's nothing about the electronic key pad or inside lock mechanism. I think they new they did something wrong at the factory. The lock smith found that the plate which holds the lockout rod, to keep it from permanently locking the safe had loose screws. I was having to rotate the handle back and forth several times in order to get the handle to turn to the right and withdraw the locking bolts. The plate was just loose enough that it allowed the lock out bar to drop just barely into the hole and that is why my combination wouldn't work. The key pad said I had the right combo but the locking bolts wouldn't withdraw.

I would recommend this safe to anyone, anywhere. Can't be beat for the money although it does weigh 505 lbs.