The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2014, 04:41 AM   #1
rebs

Unique powder for 12 gauge trap loads

I ran out of red dot powder and have some unique, I looked it up in the reloading guide and it corresponds to a number 31 mec powder bushing, does this sound right to you ? I have been using a number 32 with rd dot. This is for a 12 gauge trap load with 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Valornor

Being a shotshell reloader you probably know better then I, but I learned a lesson that you can't switch out components willy nilly with shot gun loads as you can with metallic cartridge reloading. I had all sorts of problems with squibs and under performing rounds.

If you can't find a recipe with unique then my guess would be to stay on the safe side and not proceed.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old May 3, 2014, 02:53 PM   #3
rebs

I got that recipe from a close friend that loads it. I was just asking if anyone else has used Unique and if that bushing sounds about right.
Old May 3, 2014, 06:01 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

I guess if you can't find any shot gun powder and you really want to shoot, go for it. But I would save it for pistol powder and it's not that it's not good for it, it's that is good for so many pistol calibers. People love the stuff.
Old May 3, 2014, 06:55 PM   #5
BigJimP

Yes, a #31 bushing sounds about right ....if you're loading Unique for 1 1/8 oz loads...( I don't personally load anything over 1 oz even for Trap or Sporting Clays in a 12ga )....and I load almost exclusively 1 oz of 8's...

I would probably go to 7.5's ....if I was shooting handicapped Trap from 25 - 27 yard lines..just for the extra energy ..and a little tighter choke...but 1 oz is still plenty in my mind.

But you need to check your powder drops with the #31 bushing with a good scale....you can't just go by the bushing....and depending on which hull, primer, wad combination you're using...the recipes on the amount of powder you need are different.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:51 PM   #6
jaysouth

Consult a loading manual. In my experience, there is no better powder for 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads. 16 grains with WW primers is soft recoiling and leave no residue in the barrel. I have shot thousands in 1100s and O/Us.

My favorite 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps load for 12 ga. is Green Dot. There is not enough difference to argue over between Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique. The green dot has less felt recoil than red dot.

I can only imagine that the Unique might leave a little more residue in your barrel, which is a minimal problem as best.

If you can get Bullesye, there is no better powder for 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads. I shot up 8 pounds of it and never lost a 16 yard bird because of the ultra-light load. I think you can find published loads for Bullseye in 1 ounce loads in 12 ga.

Once, in a bind, I loaded up some one ounce loads with blue dot to 1,200 fps. Low recoil but made a fireball about 20 feet long and 10 feet in diameter. The safety officer and range owner put me in time out for a couple of days LOL.
Old May 4, 2014, 05:38 AM   #7
rebs

Quote:
Once, in a bind, I loaded up some one ounce loads with blue dot to 1,200 fps. Low recoil but made a fireball about 20 feet long and 10 feet in diameter. The safety officer and range owner put me in time out for a couple of days LOL.
now that is funny lol
Old May 4, 2014, 11:44 PM   #8
TimSr

I use Unique for my 12 gauge 1 oz loads when I'm out of Red Dot. I'm using a Lee, so different bushings, but my book calls for the same bushing for either powder, which comes out to 21gr Red Dot or 24gr Unique.

I'm really liking Blue Dot for 1 1/4oz loads. Not experiencing the legendary fireballs, or I've just never noticed.
Old May 5, 2014, 09:37 PM   #9
SauerGrapes

Like Jim said, you need to check your powder drops. Like Jim, I mostly load 1oz and 7\8 for 12. Unique will work fine for 1 1\8 oz loads in 12ga.
I found I'm always up or down one bushing from the Mec chart depending on type of powder and batch.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 6, 2014, 11:23 AM   #10
BigJimP

MEC bushings are easily altered a little ( if you want ).....spin them on a lathe or drill press...and use a little emery cloth to open them up / or you can put some clear nail polish on the inside - let it harden and smooth it out to tighten them up ( and remark them with a permanent marker or a dremel )...

Its easy to buy handfuls of MEC bushings at most gunshows....or you can get them online from any number of sources.

I keep the bushings in a quart zip loc sandwich bag ( marked 20 - 29 ), 30 - 30. etc ...and I keep a separate bag of "modified bushings".../ but I have 4 MEC 9000 HN loaders...
Old May 7, 2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Martys

I haven't shot any skeet in many years, but as a reloader I remember that Universal Clays was one of my major powders with good results.
Old May 7, 2014, 03:42 PM   #12
BigJimP

These days....most folks loading 12ga shells for clay targets...at least in 1oz are using Hodgdon Clays.

Hodgdon Universal...is more commonly used as a 20ga or a 28ga powder...

( but both right now, are almost impossible to find in any kind of quantity ..... sadly )....
Old May 7, 2014, 06:37 PM   #13
SauerGrapes

I don't get it. Very little powder and 22 ammo to be had.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 7, 2014, 06:51 PM   #14
BigJimP

I don't either frankly ....

a. but I do know that some shooters are hoarding powder ( that they won't use or need in the next 10 yrs - based on the volumes they are shooting)....

b. ...same thing on .22 ammo .....they buy it when they find it, whether they need it or not ....

and while there are rumors all over the place about why - all we can do is just try and be patient / and hope the suppliers get ahead of demand.