The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 11, 2013, 08:45 AM   #1
steveNChunter

Barnes Spit-Fire TMZ bullets

I use these bullets in my T/C Impact .50, I use the 250 gr. version of the bullet loaded over 100 volumetric grains (70 gr. if weighing on a scale, which is what I do) of Blackhorn 209. This load shoots MOA at 100 yards.

I've taken three deer with them this year, the first two were perfect broadside shots at 75 yards, the deer didn't take a step and were dead before they hit the ground.

The third was yesterday morning, I shot a 140 lb. doe that was about 60 yards away in some brush, quartering towards me. It ran 15 yards and then tumbled down a bank about another 20 yards before coming to rest against a tree. It left a massive blood trail the whole way. I walked down to her and noticed the shoulder where the bullet entered was just held on by the hide. I rolled her over to find that there was no exit wound. I field dressed her and saw that the bullet passed directly through the heart and then passed through the ribcage at about the second-to-last rib. I poked my finger in the hole and found my bullet between the ribs and the hide. I'm posting these pics for anyone who might be considering using them, and is wondering how they perform. I know I'll keep using them for sure. I don't have any affiliation with Barnes whatsoever, just a happy user of their product

Old November 11, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
steveNChunter

Mods, this thread may be better suited to the hunting forum, please move it there if you agree. I didn't think about that before posting.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3

I have been reluctant to make the swith to Barnes and BH209.......I'm sort of cheap. However, when I got my TC Encore the neighbor started working an angle and convinced me to open up the wallet. I just got my order of 48 of the 290 TEZ's and they're waiting to be sighted in. Going to the store tonight after work to get the BH209. After seeing your post, the trigger finger is getting itchy.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 11, 2013, 02:04 PM   #4
steveNChunter

You won't be sorry for paying extra for the BH209. It's the cleanest and most accurate BP substitute out there. I used pyrodex for years and tried several others without seeing much benefit over pyrodex, but Blackhorn is definitely the best IMO.

The TEZ's should work just as good and be easier to load. The only drawback to the TMZ's in my tight-bored T/C is that they are a bit tough to load. But the accuracy is worth it.
Old November 11, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
BirchOrr

I've used...

...Barnes sabots for several years now and I think they are the best available. When you find a slug in the animal like you did, they look just like your bullet every time. What I like most is they hold together and won't fragment in the meat.

Go get em!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 11, 2013, 04:45 PM   #6
steveNChunter

It amazed me that the bullet completely held together after directly striking the shoulder bone and breaking it in two at that short range. All of the petals were still on it and it only lost 8 grains of weight. That's probably the exact weight of the plastic tip. Can't ask for much better than that.
Old November 11, 2013, 07:33 PM   #7

8 grs of weight loss is quite a bit for a Barnes bullet. I think you really put it to the test.

They work pretty darn good in a rifle too.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386703

The only bullet they offer that I don't like is the the pistol bullets. They are very long as compared to standard jacketed hollow points. That takes away from powder space in my 44 mag case.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:18 PM   #8
steveNChunter

I just bought some 80 gr TTSX bullets to load for my .25-06. It will probably be next season before I get to try them out on deer though. I expect great results, especially since they will be leaving the barrel at 3600 fps or better. I haven't worked the load up yet so I'm not sure at what velocity I'll find the best accuracy.

I've never used their handgun bullets.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #9

My neighbor has a 25-06 and uses 100 gr TTSX with devastating results. Try those you won't be disappointed.