The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2020, 04:04 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

primer cratering

So I zeroed my new rifle, at TC Compass in 30-06. I started working through a batch of hand loads and noticed primer cratering with the starting loads. started with 47g of varget over a 150g hornady interlock. i looked back at the factory loads i had zeroed with and they were all cratered as well. federal power shock 150g, federal fustion 150g, and remington core lokt 220g. the three together are the factory loads, the ones in the box are my hand loads. friend sait it might be a too long firing pin? I contacted TC, waiting for an answer from them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg factory.jpg (76.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg hand loads.jpg (246.0 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 21, 2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 21, 2020, 05:00 PM   #2
Bart B.

Looks semi safe to me.

Common thing when there's too much clearance from the firing pin tip to its hole in the bolt face. Good inspectors firing proof loads at the factory will see that problem then send the rifle back to production to be fixed.

Good gunsmiths can hard chrome plate that pin tip to a .001" clearance. Had that done to a Winchester 70 back in 1967.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 21, 2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 21, 2020, 05:38 PM   #3
hounddawg

Wait and see if Thompson will make it right first but almost any competent gunsmith can bushing the firing pin

these guys do it all the time, you can call for a price and see if they do Thompsons

https://www.gretanrifles.com/
Old May 21, 2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
Wait and see if Thompson will make it right first but almost any competent gunsmith can bushing the firing pin

these guys do it all the time, you can call for a price and see if they do Thompsons

https://www.gretanrifles.com/
I sent them an e-mail, just to get a quote, told them I was waiting to hear back from TC. Will see what they say.
Old May 22, 2020, 01:54 PM   #5
hounddawg

if they do not might try EABCO they specialize in Thompson's

https://www.eabco.net/TC-ARMS_c_2728.html
Old May 22, 2020, 02:07 PM   #6
Paul B.

You might want to look at the face of the bolt to see if it might be a bit too large or might have been chamfered. I have a Remington 700 BDL what will produce a cratered primer even with light 5.0 gr. Unique cast bullet loads designed for plinking. When I inspected the bolt face using a magnifying glass, I saw the the hole had been slightly chamfer, for whatever reason I have no clue. May the hole had a burr and they tried to clean it up. I've run some seriously stiff hunting loads through that rifle and I've never had a problem. Naturally YMMV.
Paul B.
Old May 22, 2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
You might want to look at the face of the bolt to see if it might be a bit too large or might have been chamfered. I have a Remington 700 BDL what will produce a cratered primer even with light 5.0 gr. Unique cast bullet loads designed for plinking. When I inspected the bolt face using a magnifying glass, I saw the the hole had been slightly chamfer, for whatever reason I have no clue. May the hole had a burr and they tried to clean it up. I've run some seriously stiff hunting loads through that rifle and I've never had a problem. Naturally YMMV.
Paul B.
Paul B. you are a geinus! Managed to get a picture, needed more light to see it but I think you got it dead on! Thank you! Sent an e-mail to double check with TC to make sure it is supposed to be this way but I don’t think I will have to send her in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firing pin hole.jpg (39.4 KB, 207 views)
Old May 24, 2020, 08:52 AM   #8
ballisticxlr

Have that pin bushed. Looks like a hot dog in a hallway by those primer marks. Having a bolt bushed is usually not much more than 100 bucks.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:10 PM   #9
sparkyv

I see no issue, Shadow9mm. I have several rifles like this. Not at all unusual.
Old May 26, 2020, 05:40 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

got an update from Thompson Center. they do no chamfer their firing pin holes, they said it is an issue, and I do need to send it in. bummed but at least they are taking care of it..
Old June 24, 2020, 09:06 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

I got the rifle back, The notes are not particularly clear but it looks like they replaced the bolt. Had a bunch of packing grease around the ejector.

Notes from TC were as follows

"Performed Services: Evaluate / Repair
Repair Bolt
Passed Range Testing"
Old June 25, 2020, 06:24 PM   #12
hounddawg

glad you got it sorted Shadow