The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 29, 2020, 09:05 AM   #1
tank1949

Range finder attached to scope

I recently saw a shooter at a distance with a range finder piggy backed onto his scope. It seems to me that this setup is a much better solution than having a RF separate. You'd be able to point and get range. But getting them synchronized might be difficult? I'd like to know any recommendation on connecting one to a NF or Leupold tactical scope. I have a custom Browning bolt gun and a RR x-1 that are both tack drivers. I believe that shooter had a rail connected to his forward scope's ring. Or, perhaps I am confused. Another option that another shooter recommended was a bio-RF combination.
Old April 29, 2020, 09:11 AM   #2
rickyrick

I think this would fall into the same reason that you carry binoculars or monoculars to look around instead of your rifle scope. Gun safety dictates that you don’t point a gun at anything until you are ready to shoot. Rangefinding is part of preparation to shoot, not part of the act of shooting.
But this is only my opinion.
Old April 29, 2020, 09:22 AM   #3
jmr40

There are some scopes with built in range finders, but good ones are pricy.

Any MIL-DOT scope can be used as a range finder, and most Leupold VX3's can too. They aren't as precise as a laser range finder and you have to know the approximate size of the target. But you can get a range estimation within 25-50 yards if you know how to use them.

Sounds like having the range finder piggybacked onto a scope would be more than I'd want to carry around. Most modern cartridges shoot flat enough that you don't need one until you're shooting beyond 300 yards. And if shooting that far you probably have time to use a separate range finder.

Winston Churchill
Old April 29, 2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Bart B.

How much drop per yard of target range does a 180 grain Spitzer Boattail shot from a 300 Win Mag have at 800 yards?

If it's half an inch and your rangefinder is 25 yards off, how far will you miss your point of aim?

Last edited by Bart B.; April 29, 2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 29, 2020, 02:13 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I don't agree with a range finder attached to a scope.

For the same reason one carries and uses binoculars. So you can look at things, (and range them) WITHOUT pointing a rifle at them.

Same with a light. With the gun, fine, ON it, not so much. Because people WILL point (loaded) guns at things while "just looking"....
Old April 29, 2020, 02:38 PM   #6
Nathan

A rangefinder in a scope sounds like a good idea....Actually, a Rangefinder is probably something that technology wise lasts 3-5 years. A riflescope to me is more like a 10 yr purchase. A HUD is what you are looking for with the Applied Ballistics Calculator....it is pretty close to a 6DOF calculator. It still uses some simplifications to speed calculations, but is dang good out to like a mile!

The long term solution is probably a handheld ballistic computer, rangefinder, weather station combo tool with wireless connectivity to servo driven turrets or mount to adjust your impact point.....I would guess we are 5-10 years away and then there will be the first one at 10 lbs!

For now, a Kestrel 5700, decent laser range finder and you can drive quality optics to do pretty well using density altitude. A phone with a few good apps can be pretty powerful also.
Old April 29, 2020, 04:57 PM   #7
tank1949

Thanks for your reply. Generally and on a clear day, I can distinguish a deer moving across a field at over 1000 yards. I'd like to be able to point scope, get distance and dial in scope. I seldom scan any field with rifle/scope combination unless I know it is deer. Too cumbersome... Yet, I am also scanning within bios., looking for movement or following up with bios. after noticing movement with my eyes. The bios./ RF combination would allow more flexibility with multiple weapon usage. I'll Google the 5700-Thx!
Old April 29, 2020, 06:03 PM   #8
brasscollector

I know an gunsmith that has a RF mounted to his spotting scope. Claims it's 'zeroed' to 1700+yds (the distance across the valley in front of his abode). How he knew it was accurately zeroed that far I couldn't say.