The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 30, 2020, 02:19 PM   #1
Snidely Whiplash

Home Defense Firearm: What to use in conjunction with a mounted light?

I have a Colt Sporter rifle (carry handle model with iron sights) and Remington 870 tactical shotgun (front bead sight only) that I have been exploring options for using as home defense weapons. I’m looking at options to mount a light on both weapons but I’m not sure what else I might need in conjunction to the light to make these effective at night.

Will a good quality mounted light provide enough light for the iron sights / bead to be useful and effective in the dark? Would other aiming solutions be more appropriate? What else should I consider?
Old April 30, 2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Sharkbite

The short answer is YES. With the light on the sights will be backlit and completely useable

The longer answer is fighting in low light/no light takes some training and practice to be any good at. There is A LOT more to it then just turn on the light and shoot. Thats why shooting schools have a curriculum developed just for these skills. Take some training, LEARN how to be efficient with the light and improve your odds of success.
Old May 2, 2020, 07:48 PM   #3
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I have a Colt Sporter rifle (carry handle model with iron sights) and Remington 870 tactical shotgun (front bead sight only) that I have been exploring options for using as home defense weapons. I’m looking at options to mount a light on both weapons but I’m not sure what else I might need in conjunction to the light to make these effective at night.

Will a good quality mounted light provide enough light for the iron sights / bead to be useful and effective in the dark? Would other aiming solutions be more appropriate? What else should I consider?
Do you need to see a sight to shoot inside your house? If you think you do, might want some night sights.
Old May 5, 2020, 02:23 AM   #4
BigBL87

I don't have it yet, but eventually I plan on mounting a red dot to my HD shotgun. In my case, it's because I'm cross eye dominant so I have a hard time shooting with both eyes open since my left eye naturally tries to take over. A red dot helps ALOT with that, I'm not looking for precision just something to make me have to think less if god forbid I need to use it. Thinking something like a Sig Romeo 5 or Primary Arms Microdot so I can just leave it on.
Old May 5, 2020, 04:34 AM   #5
Aikibiker

A zero magnification red dot helps a LOT when shooting at night or from odd positions. They are also much faster then irons and promote better awareness because you can keep both eyes open while looking through one.

The Sig Romeo 5 is a good budget option, but made in china and I don't think giving the chinese communist party money is a good thing right now. The Aimpoint brand is very good and my preferred optic due to battery life (turn it on and change the battery once every couple years) and simplicity. They are made in Sweden. EOTechs are made in the USA and good, but have much shorter battery life. Meprolight sights are made in Israel, used by their army and quite rugged. They also have many different models and features. I don't use them because they do not work with my astigmatism, but if they work for you they are a solid option.

You can easily mount a dot onto either your shotgun or rifle. I would choose a dot, then research mounting options and go with whatever best fits your budget. Either weapon will work just fine for home defense.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old May 5, 2020, 06:07 PM   #6
FireForged

there is not likely to be a lot of traditional "aiming" in a armed home defense action. At those common distances, its point shooting. That said, I have never had a problem seeing the sights of a rifle which has a light mounted.

I am not really a proponent of a lone defender using a rifle or shotgun over a pistol for home defense but if that's what ya go, its what ya got.
Old May 5, 2020, 07:55 PM   #7
JERRYS.

ear muffs/plugs of some kind. AR pistol.
Old May 5, 2020, 09:05 PM   #8
kenny53

I have a light hanging off a M&P 45. Sits on my nightstand. Works for me.