The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 17, 2020, 07:18 PM   #1
sigarms228

Illinois gun store/FFL restrictions and rules released.

I got email from ISRA today and it includes a link to the latest gun store restrictions and rules for Illinois. This should put more gun stores out of business and intimidate most anyone from opening new ones. There are only about a dozen gun store/ranges serving the Chicago metro area and I greatly fear some more of them closing. I am lucky and have about 3 within a half hour drive but don't want to see any more forced out of business. No place convenient to purchase and shoot firearms will only reduce interest in buying and owning them which IMO is part of the plan. No doubt other states will be looking at implementing the same if Illinois is successful with it's goal and lawsuits do not stop or modify it. Apparently this list is not final yet and will be reviewed Feb 18, 2020 but I don't expect much if any sympathy toward many of these hurdles by those on the Commission who most likely are all gun hating democrats or at least the majority are. Of course any lawsuits filed can take years to get resolved.

One thing I noticed going through it was this on page 1695 -
Quote:
7) Keep ammunition stored securely and out of the reach of customers
Dang I don't know how my independently owned local gun store will be able to do this. They are huge and have ammo all over the place with aisles of shelves and pallet displays. It will suck big time shopping for ammo too if it has to be behind a counter or in a locked case.

Quote:
Today the Illinois State Police released the Emergency rules for the Gun Dealer Licensing Certification Act (GDLCA). These rules will be heard by the Joint Commission on Administrative Rules (JCAR) on February 18,2020.

We have placed the Emergency Rules on our website for you review. (Click here for link). https://www.isra.org/Portals/6/ISRA%...-17-164038-220

Richard A Pearson
ISRA Executive Director

Check out ISRA's website at www.isra.org ! Tell us what you think!

Last edited by sigarms228; January 17, 2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old January 17, 2020, 08:14 PM   #2
raimius

A lot of places have ammo behind the counter. It's nonsense to legally require it though.
Old January 17, 2020, 09:57 PM   #3
LeverGunFan

These are described as "Emergency" rules - does this "Emergency" process reduce the opportunity for public review and comment? What "Emergency" exists here as opposed to any other rule making requirement?
Old January 17, 2020, 10:52 PM   #4
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunFan View Post
These are described as "Emergency" rules - does this "Emergency" process reduce the opportunity for public review and comment? What "Emergency" exists here as opposed to any other rule making requirement?
This explains it better. It must be insane to be a gun store that has to go through this.

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...iness#stream/0

A part of the article.

Quote:
‘Emergency rules’

A state police spokesperson told St. Louis Public Radio these regulations replace what had been proposed last August for the Firearm Dealer License Certification Act, signed into law by Gov. J.B. Pritzker a year ago.

“ISP filed Emergency Rules on Jan. 3, 2020. Those rules became effective immediately and will remain in effect for 150 days and will then be replaced with final rules,” the department said in a statement.

The new rules will be officially published on Jan. 25 in the Secretary of State register.
The department provided St. Louis Public Radio with a copy of the rules.

These revisions address some of the pushback state police received from gun dealers at a public hearing they held on the proposed rules last October.

Advocates for gun dealers were particularly concerned with vague definitions the department originally laid out, like requiring firearms and ammunition be stored separately.
Old January 18, 2020, 04:41 PM   #5
2ndsojourn

What are stores like Cabelas going to do? They have isles and isles of ammo.
Old January 19, 2020, 10:16 AM   #6
sigarms228

I believe box chain stores that also sell firearms are exempt from this legislation. If I remember correctly that was done to increase chances of the legislation passing. Around here there are very few box box stores selling guns and ammo with just Cabelas and Bass Pro coming to mind.