The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2019, 10:47 PM   #76
Mycin

Quote:
Good gawd, dude. Don't be caught with all those guns in your Dad's truck in Maine on a Sunday afternoon.

Why, just the cumulative firepower alone would create 'presumptive guilt' of poaching.
Old October 26, 2019, 08:39 PM   #77
SageRatSafaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You're changing the narrative a bit to place the weapon in the process of transportation or personal possession on your property. What I'm saying is that the Maine IFW can--and have--make the assumption that if you're out in the woods, fields etc. with a large capacity magazine semi-auto, they can stop you right on the spot and ask you to prove that you were not actually hunting. Wander about with ANY KIND OF WEAPON on Sundays (no hunting in Maine) and they can make the same "prove you're not hunting" demand. What's more, they are empowered in Maine to make a warrantless search of your property if they have reasonable suspicion you're breaking hunting laws (i.e. tresspass/poaching).

From the 2019 2020 hunting law publication:

"Possession of Hunting Equipment on
Sunday: Possession of hunting equipment
in the fields and forests or on the waters
or ice of this state on Sunday is prima facie
evidence of a violation of Sunday hunting
law, unless the equipment is securely
wrapped in a complete cover, fastened in
a case, or carried in at least two separate
pieces in such a way that it cannot be fired
without the pieces being joined together
(for the purpose of this paragraph, a
firearm clip, magazine, or cylinder is not
considered a “piece”)."

Except for a concealed carry weapon--which must conform to laws--generally speaking (with special disability, military or LE exceptions or boats hunting for waterfowl) you are not allowed to have a loaded firearm within any kind of motorized vehicle either.
Holy smokes. That law seems awful harsh. How do you prove you weren't hunting? Is it enough to have a target set up? Or carrying a target to set up? Surely it's legal to practice or verify zero on Sundays?
Old October 28, 2019, 02:46 PM   #78
shurshot

Unless you are a licensed Trapper. In Maine, they can have a firearm in the woods on Sunday, for humanly dispatching trapped animals.
The Wardens have a huge amount of discretion pertaining to how they enforce that law. Honest to goodness target shooters have nothing to fear going to a gravel pit or back yard range. Poachers on the other hand, well, lie to the game Wardens and see how it goes. The Judge may believe you when your Bail is being discussed, but the Warden's up here won't.
Old October 28, 2019, 08:59 PM   #79
agtman

Quote:
* * * The Wardens have a huge amount of discretion pertaining to how they enforce that law.
Which is why Maine isn't a Free State.

Law enforcement - of whatever kind or agency - with unbridled discretion, is an anathema to fairness and due process.

Quote:
Honest to goodness target shooters have nothing to fear going to a gravel pit or back yard range.
So you say, ... but with 'huge discretion' on the Warden's part, a target shooter out in a field somewhere is presumed guilty until proven innocent.

Quote:
Poachers on the other hand, well, lie to the game Wardens and see how it goes. * * *
Dude, focus ...

On a Sunday afternoon in Maine, what's the difference between a guy plinking in his back forty acres with a .223 Mini-14 ranch rifle, and a guy with the same rifle who's looking to make extinct - or at least thin-out - the coyotes plaguing his farm and livestock?

Neither are engaged in actual 'sport hunting.' ... And the latter is only doing nuisance-predator culling.

Sunday 'hunting' bans are a legal symbol of moron-run non-Free States.

Last edited by agtman; October 29, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old October 29, 2019, 04:25 AM   #80
shurshot

The glass is half empty to some, half full to others.

Most of us don't break the law, nor fear the badge.

"Dude"...????? That explains allot!

Last edited by shurshot; October 29, 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old November 6, 2019, 05:13 PM   #81
Terrierman

I live out in the sticks in SWMO. A Ruger All Weather 77/22 WMR and a Harrington and Richardson 12 ga. single shot hang on the coat rack by the back door. They handle armadillo, feral cats and dogs fine. Hear coyotes all the time but have yet to see one in the yard.

A Walther P22 rides in the console of the truck. I've used the P22 for coup de grace duty a few times on hit but not dead animals and sick ones that needed it.

I don't carry guns on my person regularly, but I'm seldom very far from one.
Old November 6, 2019, 06:57 PM   #82
Willie Lowman

Growing up, a Savage .22/.410 over under did most of the farm duty.
Old November 9, 2019, 10:26 PM   #83
WIN71

the possum

Quote:
I've mentioned my SKS many times- it became my tractor gun mainly because it was cheap, ugly, cheap, rugged, fired cheap ammo, ...and did I mention it was cheap?
My feelings exactly. There are advantages to a rifle made of cheap commie steel and set into a semi inletted 2x4. It can be dropped out of any vehicle almost anywhere and you won't shed a tear.
Old November 11, 2019, 07:00 PM   #84
hooligan1

I'm getting this conversation late but if I lived on a farm I'd give the new Henry Long Ranger a look, in 6.5 Creedmoor.