The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 29, 2020, 07:03 PM   #51
Rifletom

I'm in agreement here with Virginian. My '75 Wingmaster in 20 ga is my absolute favorite pump shotgun. Butter smooth. I've taken it on more upland hunts than I can count. The 37's aren't bad, just ain't a Wingmaster. No history with an Express.
Old May 29, 2020, 07:18 PM   #52
2wheelwander

For me its an odd one. A Smith and Wesson 916 my Dad gave me years ago. 18" barrel, factory long capacity tube. That shotgun has cleared out entire rabbit populations and even a few deer. Not fancy, not pretty, pretty much a truck gun, but it handles very well, butter smooth. Rough around the edges but I'd rather carry that than a tacticool'd 870 with Wilson ghost ring tritium sights on it.

Those Smith 916's rock.
Old June 13, 2020, 11:19 AM   #53
The Rattler

Let’s face it: all of the old standbys mentioned are very good guns. My favorite, however, is the Ithaca 37. What a dandy gun.
Old June 17, 2020, 12:55 AM   #54
Romulus

Ithaca 37

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old June 26, 2020, 07:14 PM   #55
oldshotty

Ithaca 37

Last edited by oldshotty; June 26, 2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old June 26, 2020, 08:33 PM   #56
Wag

870 Marine Magnum. Great shotgun, though I'm not much of a shotgun guy. The only thing I don't care for is that its quite heavy. Still a great shotgun.

--Wag--
Old June 26, 2020, 11:44 PM   #57
Double K

20 gauge 870 laminated, maybe the most versatile gun there is, I have a three barrel set, 26" remchoke with imp cyl,modified and super full turkey chokes, 21" rifled barrel and 18" rem-choked home defense barrel.
Here it's dressed for turkey hunting with scope, sling and cartridge holder.
Old June 27, 2020, 06:53 AM   #58
darkgael

I just reread this thread. Makes me want to go buy another shotgun.
One thing that makes me shake my head, though, concerns the Ithaca 37 (my own fav.) It is mentioned a lot...a lot. Why did it go out of production?
Old June 27, 2020, 07:32 AM   #59
jaguarxk120

It's not out of production. It has become a limited production gun, with
a high price. What you pay for a new Ithaca, one can buy several guns in the $188
price range when on sale.
Todays younger shooters are looking for something that goes bang.
Quality, workmanship, and nice wood are secondary now.
Remember if it's cheap and can be converted to 10 round shooters, thats what
counts now, sadly!!
Old June 27, 2020, 09:11 AM   #60
Virginian

Not that many ever loved the 37. Threads like this bring them out of the woodwork, drooling about "all machined parts." Their sales numbers were always way behind Winchester, Remington, and Mossberg even back when they were price comparable. There's nothing bad wrong with them, but most people prefer a side eject, save for lefties.
Old June 27, 2020, 05:46 PM   #61
Brit

I shot an Ithaca 37 at the NYPD range on City Island, visiting Lt Mcgee, I was on my way to visit the S&W factory.
As a firearms Instructor, running my company for 25 years in Ontario Canada, I suppose I was not a bad shot! Lou added me to one of the Emergency teams, they were a man short. The Ithaca 37 I was given to shoot the shotgun portion, had seen many miles of use! Not sure of the barrel length but less than the legal length for sure. Just a bead sight.
Holding the trigger back and just pumping, it was a machine gun! When they saw my love of that old warhorse, they made sure it got left behind!
The 870 I brought down with me from Canada, had a 14" barrel on it in Canada, the length that was legal there, factory barrel too! But swapped it for an 18" model. With the one-piece pistol grip plastic stock. Slick. Extended tube.
On my visit to the NYPD range, the recruiting class were 100 stronger, 50 on the turning target range at a time, huge! I am awaiting delivery of an older model Ithica 37. The way you can hold the mod 37 upside down, load it sight unseen, rack and go.
Old June 27, 2020, 06:12 PM   #62
Jim Watson

I have a sawn off Model 37 for home defense, but the BEST pump I ever saw was the Remington Model 31. My Neighbor the Gunsmith had a trap model that was very fine.
Old June 28, 2020, 01:24 PM   #63
jaguarxk120

You do not have to hold the Ithaca upside down, just (with action open) hold a shell on two fingertips. Then lift it upward into the action pushing the lifter forks up.
at one point the shell is in front of the bolt, then slide the forearm forward.
Be careful not loading your fingers too, the bottom extractor is very sharp.
This is a learned maneuver, but the gun is loaded and no one knows you did.
Old June 29, 2020, 05:10 PM   #64
Bake

Not being a hunter, my Winchester Model 12, 28" fixed choke [Mod], has never been in the rain, or mud. These old "Paper Shell" barrel/chokes are "super" tight. I've shot higher scores from the 26-yard line than I shot from the 16-yard line with this shotgun.

If the weather looks bad, I got a Remington "Wingmaster" that gets treated Like a "Redheaded Step Child". I've got almost a dozen different barrels for it and at least a couple of buttstocks

Last edited by Bake; June 30, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old June 30, 2020, 07:57 PM   #65
The Rattler

Ithaca Model 37 is my favorite, although Model 10, Model 97, Wingmaster, and 870 Express are very good too.
Old June 30, 2020, 11:06 PM   #66
cpt-t

The Ithaca 37, Win Model 12, 870 Rem, and 500 Mossberg are all favorites of mine. But with out any doubt at all, my Win 97`s are my all time favorite Pump Shotguns