The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 14, 2016, 02:23 PM   #26
BigJimP

I do a little.../ about once a week...for about 5 min - but its not a regular schedule thing.

I'm mostly a 1911 shooter...so dry firing, on any SAO weapon, is not as effective as if I wanted to carry a DA gun (but I don't) ....because after I dry fire the 1911, I'd have to cock the hammer and fire a 2nd time.../ you can't feel the trigger reset, etc. --- so I go to the range 2 or 3 times a week instead ( 3 - 4 boxes per visit) and work on my fundamentals there ---- and then shoot a "tactical Course of Fire" once a week with my buddies.

In front of a mirror holstering -- drawing - reholstering...is valuable. Tap-
Rack-Bang drill in front of a mirror is good. Some dry fire and reloads ...are good practice at home...( watch my hand position on the mags, position of the gun as I drop the spent mag, etc ...).....so if you count that, I spend another 2 days a week for about 10 min at a time.
Old May 14, 2016, 03:57 PM   #27
Bluestarlizzard

It's something I don't think of doing, but I should do more. It does seem to help.

I will also note that I am one of those lucky people who can shoot everyday and almost managed to do so for the past two months, yet despite having the advantage of being able to train like that with live fire, I still think dry fire is beneficial all on it's own.
Hell, today, I stopped shooting for awhile and just did some dry fire for a bit while on the range. You get a better understanding of what your hand is doing without recoil getting in the way.
Old May 14, 2016, 05:59 PM   #28
Silent_Bob

Free Dry Practice Guide

Hey Cymro,

I too am a big believer in dry practice, I have taken the liberty to attach a .pdf of our Dry Practice Guide.

Our DPG covers everything from defining dry practice, gives you advice on numerous different dry practice tools, will help you select a safe dry practice area, tell you how to safely dry practice, help you set up a proper dry practice training routine, what skills you should be dry practicing, and much, much more.

If you (or anyone else) have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WP_DPG.pages.pdf (230.0 KB, 24 views)
Old May 15, 2016, 12:17 AM   #29
HistoryJunky

I dryfire my Glock 26 probably roughly 100 times a day. It's my CC piece, and I always have it on me. I just dry fire during commercial breaks or breaks in whatever I'm doing when I'm home. I think it helps considerably.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:38 AM   #30
doofus47

I dry-fire as often as possible.
I'm still waiting for that awkward moment when I'm dry firing during a conference call while I forget to set the phone to mute...
Old May 16, 2016, 11:48 AM   #31
JERRYS.

every time I train at the range I dry fire my gun whether I want to or not. I can figure on counting 3 or so shots at a time, but in the course of a magazine or cylinder I invariably stroke the trigger and get a click. this induces a speed reload. only on certain scenarios can I do a combat reload....
Old May 17, 2016, 05:39 PM   #32
Fade2Grey

Mortgage Payment in Practice

Quote:
--- so I go to the range 2 or 3 times a week instead ( 3 - 4 boxes per visit) and work on my fundamentals there ---- and then shoot a "tactical Course of Fire" once a week with my buddies.
Friend,
Just wanted to express my jealousy. I wish I had the expendable income you do to spend at the range.

3-4 boxes of .45acp @ $25/box =$100
2-3 visits a week = $300/week
4 weeks a month= $1,200/month

You spend more on ammo than my net income. Bravo, sir. Congratulations on an accomplished life.

Edit: To be clear, the above statement was meant with all sincerity. I have noticed folk too often putting people down for their success, instead of lifting them up. Since body language and tone of voice can't be communicated, I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't being sarcastic.

Last edited by Fade2Grey; May 17, 2016 at 07:12 PM.