The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 30, 2014, 12:16 PM   #1
AKshooter150

19-year-old looking to own an AR-15 SBR?

I live in Alaska, a state that permits NFA-regulated firearms. I understand that, because I am under 21, it is unlawful to purchase an SBR through an FFL licensee, or basically a dealer. In order to purchase any firearm or firearm parts online, they almost always must go through a dealer.

I understand that it is legal, however, to create and/or purchase an SBR from a non-FFL licensee. Basically, this means that I can create an SBR or purchase an SBR from an in-state resident.

I do not know of anybody from whom I can purchase a complete SBR. This leads me to the creative option. If I can, I will purchase the parts through a dealer. So now to my question:

Can I purchase a complete SBR upper receiver and complete lower receiver as two separate parts from a dealer? I have heard that the lower receiver must be registered as an SBR, but does that mean I can purchase this lower receiver and register it as an SBR from a dealer?

If I can't do that and am forced to find & purchase a lower receiver from a non-FFL licensee in-state resident, and then submit an ATF form 1 without going through a dealer, can I still purchase an SBR upper receiver through a dealer since the upper receiver is not in-and-of itself an SBR registered component? This possession of the upper receiver would be void of constructive intent because I would purchase the upper only after I have purchased and SBR-approved a lower receiver.

Very confusing, yes, but I am desperately looking for an answer! Thank you!
Old October 30, 2014, 01:57 PM   #2
NateKirk

Pardon my ignorance as I know nothing about AR 15's or Alaskan law, but why don't you just get another barrel, chop it and have it recrowned at a gunsmith? Seems a lot easier than piecing together a whole new gun with new receivers and whatever other parts you need. SBR stands for short barreled rifle correct? Just shorten the barrel.

― --Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by NateKirk; October 30, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 02:08 PM   #3
NateKirk

Just remember that making an SBR requires it to be registered with the BATFE and a $200 tax stamp paid if I'm not mistaken.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old October 30, 2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Sharkbite

What you need to find out is whether BATF will approve a form1 for an SBR for a minor. A simple phone call to them will answer that.

If the answer is yes, then buy a rifle lower...do the form 1 and once approved you can put whatever upper you want on it

It would seem to me that since its a RIFLE then you should be able to do it. I dont know if the NFA has a age limit requirement. If it does the. Youre out of luck
Old October 30, 2014, 02:48 PM   #5
skizzums

he is not a minor. he is 19. shouldn't be an issue. but regardless, first buy a complete lower, or one you already have and register it as an SBR. then go buy a a barrel. don't chop one down and get it recrowned, be cheaper just to buy new barrel.

www.masdefense.com

the smartest option, build an ar pistol. then you have a gun while you wait for the sbr to get cleared, which these days will practically take until your 21. only difference between a pistol and sbr is the stock.

you could also just buy a sig brace, and have a pseudo sbr w/o the hassle
http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-cultu...-pistol-brace/

actually.....scratch that, your not old enough for a pistol, even if it is technically a rifle. your only choice to buy a lower, complete, then register it first. 18 y/o can register

18+ for F1, 21+ for F4 from a dealer
since your not allowed to buy a stripped lower, youll have to by the complete listed as a rifle. you cant buy a pistol or stripped, since its considered firearm or other, which is not a long-gun

Last edited by skizzums; October 30, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Quote:
he is not a minor. he is 19. shouldn't be an issue. but regardless, first buy a complete lower, or one you already have and register it as an SBR. then go buy a a barrel. don't chop one down and get it recrowned, be cheaper just to buy new barrel.
He is a Minor until he turns 21.

Juvy under 18, minor under 21. Think about the signs on the doors of a bar. "No minors allowed"

Last edited by Sharkbite; October 30, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Guys, the NFA is, and I quote, "silent on age restrictions." Proof here.
Old October 31, 2014, 11:43 AM   #8
MtnCreek

Tom Servo, Thanks for the link. Based on that, would you assume an 18 y/o could build a suppressor, but not purchase one?

Thanks.
Old October 31, 2014, 01:44 PM   #9
AKshooter150

Tom Servo, that is exactly what I needed to know, and from the right people. A gem right there. But MtnCreek brings up another good point, albeit unrelated to the topic, because I do plan on installing a suppressor at some point. By the time I have the cash for that though, I may be well over 21, lol. But it's always nice to know what the rules are for those.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Based on that, would you assume an 18 y/o could build a suppressor, but not purchase one?
Yes. The 21-year-old limit is a restriction on what a licensed dealer can do. It does not apply to possession or to a private sale.

Of course, the private sale will still need a Form 4, but the ATF seems willing to approve those.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:40 AM   #11
dakota.potts

It is legal to own a pistol length upper. It's also legal to assemble it onto a virgin lower receiver (bought through private sale in your case) as an AR-15 pistol without a stock or a foregrip. A lot of people do this to shoot their pseudo-SBR until the paperwork comes back, at which point they put the finishing accoutrements on the rifle when it becomes legal to do so.

Just a thought to you.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

AKshooter150 is not a minor in some States. Your Feds consider AKshooter150 to be a minor, as I recall. They'd be happy to see you at a military recruiting shop though.
In any case, you have to comply with Federal law as well as State law. And sometimes municipal. Don't know how you guys keep from screaming. snicker.
Old November 3, 2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

Buy complete AR-15.

File form 1.

Wait for tax stamp.

Buy SBR upper and pin it to lower.

Dang, that was complicated.
Old November 3, 2014, 07:08 PM   #14
Arizona Fusilier

I have friend who bought full-auto when he was 19 here in Arizona, this would tend to substaniate the "silent on age" angle.

Surprised that Alaska would be a hassle.