The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 8, 2022, 08:17 AM   #1
Logs

Range Test of my new EAA Girsan MC1911C 9mm

My local shop had a "Fathers Day Sale" going on with the Heritage Rough Rider 22's with rebate so I figured I would go pick one up.

While there I was checking out the 1911's since I was looking at picking up another one. After looking at Springfields, RIA and TISAS they had in the case I saw this Girsan pistol in 9mm. It fit my hand really well and I liked the upgraded trigger, beavertail, and nice safety I looked closer. The action was very smooth and it was nicely balanced so I added it to my order. ($479.99 + tax)

Took both guns to my range last night for a quick test. I took a box of steel case 9mm and a box of brass case with a few HP loads to test function. Also picked up two 10 rd 9mm CM mags to try. Gun ran great with the brass ammo and had no issues with hollow points. I mixed in some of the steel case and got a few hiccups. This ammo looked rough out of the box as you can see from the pics, but I wanted to use it up.

Trigger on this 9mm is very smooth and the weight takes about almost all of the recoil. Very easy to stay on target after each shot. I did notice that spent rounds ejected in many directions and had few hit me in the forehead while most of them went to the right and well behind me. Only had 4 malfunctions and all were with the steel case. No issues with the brass ammo.

This is my first 1911 in 9mm and I do like it. Never looked much at the Turkey made guns, but this is a nice one.

Only comes with the one mag made by Meggar.

Three dot sights

$479.99 which is odd since the online price was $92 more

Steel case ammo

My final group at 7 yards

Picked up a few extra mags 10 rounders, but still fit without handing out.

Old June 8, 2022, 03:16 PM   #2
Rob228

Forged is filthy ammo to begin with, it looks like your batch got some extra dirt thrown in at some point during the manufacturing process.

Looks like a nice pistol and a great range day.
Old June 10, 2022, 05:05 AM   #3
CajunBass

Nice gun.

I just picked up one of their MC P-35's (Hi-Power copy) in FDE a couple of days ago. I hope to get it over to the range tomorrow.

Note to self: Continue to stay away from steel case ammo.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 10, 2022, 03:02 PM   #4
wbw

Congrats on your new gun. Girsan seems to be developing a good reputation.
Old June 10, 2022, 06:50 PM   #5
KyJim

Yes, congrats on the new gun. I don’t run any steel-cased ammo through my 1911s. They weren’t designed for it.
Old June 10, 2022, 07:28 PM   #6
JKP

I bought the comander size Girsan 1911 9mm a few months ago and like it. I agree with the trigger, recoil and ejection coments. I use a brass catcher and most of my pistols hit it pretty well, but the Girsan is about 80 - 90 %. A slight tightening of the extractor helped, but I'm still picking up some brass. With 3200 rounds though it, a new recoil spring is on its way from Wilson. It is accurate and meets my expectations for a lower priced 1911.
Old June 10, 2022, 07:55 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Nice gun.

Whenever I shoot steel cased ammo, I would put a mag's worth of ammo into the palm of my hand along with a couple of drops of thin gun oil and roll them around for 10 seconds before loading the mag. It usually did away with any types of ammo related malfunctions for me.

Last edited by Onward Allusion; June 10, 2022 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old June 11, 2022, 09:01 AM   #8
Logs

Quote:
Whenever I shoot steel cased ammo, I would put a mag's worth of ammo into the palm of my hand along with a couple of drops of thin gun oil and roll them around for 10 seconds before loading the mag. It usually did away with any types of ammo related malfunctions for me.
I will try that next time. I have one more box of the Winchester left that I need to shoot up. I also have a case of 9mm Silver Bear, but I typically have good luck with it since it has a slippery zinc coating.
Old June 14, 2022, 04:54 AM   #9
hemiram

That is some nasty looking ammo! I almost bought some for my Sig P220, but I'm glad I didn't.
Old June 20, 2022, 02:57 PM   #10
oldbear1950

turkish made 1911

I looked really hard , but decided to go with the new SDS 1911 instead of the GIRSHAN.
I had read the GIRSHAN was not totally a 1911 and the SDS WAS.
When I got mine, and took it apart was totally a 1911.
So far so good, put 4 boxes through it but no steel case ammo, I stay away from that.
Old June 22, 2022, 09:02 PM   #11
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
I looked really hard , but decided to go with the new SDS 1911 instead of the GIRSHAN.
I had read the GIRSHAN was not totally a 1911 and the SDS WAS.
When I got mine, and took it apart was totally a 1911.
So far so good, put 4 boxes through it but no steel case ammo, I stay away from that.
I tend to avoid steel cased ammo but had some old Tula that had been on sale a decade ago. Worked jess fine in both my SDS Tisas Government 1911A1 and in my Tisas Enhanced Carry (Commander sized).

I think it's all gone now but I never know what's in the Box of Shame.
Old June 23, 2022, 11:16 PM   #12
kenny53

Great looking gun, I have shot a bunch of steel cased ammo without a problem. What I stay away from is any ammo made by Winchester. I have an RIA 1911 in 9mm and love the gun. That being said I packed it up and shipped back this morning. The extractor went bad. Changing the extractor is not hard but I figure a gun only 5 months old should be fixed under warranty.
Old June 24, 2022, 06:07 PM   #13
Logs

My local gunsmith was the one that told me about the quality of the Girsan pistols. He told me all the parts would swap out with Colt 1911's. So far I like it and they only issues were with crappy ammo I was trying to use up. I don't plan on changing anything at this time.
Old June 25, 2022, 06:48 AM   #14
HistoryJunky

Steel case ammo isn't really the problem. Wolf and Tula have always worked just fine in every pistol I've ever owned, even if they are dirty.

Winchester Forged is known to be truly terrible performing ammo.

It is the only ammo I've ever had that would cause 2 of my CZ pistols to have frequent malfunctions, when they had otherwise been extremely reliable.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old June 25, 2022, 07:01 AM   #15
dwhite

Friend of mine picked up a Girsan M9 Beretta clone. Very nice apparently well made gun.

You should be happy with your purchase. Congratulations.