The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 29, 2022, 09:04 PM   #1
akinswi

Lubing an M1

I will be receiving my RM1 Expert in the next few days, This Will be my 2nd M1 Garand.

I like to know which grease and oils every one here uses. I know which places require grease and which places require oil

This is just an inquiry on what other shooters and collectors use for lubricant

I currently grease with slips EWG and places that require an oil I use Slip2000 EWL.

Thanks

Will
Old April 29, 2022, 11:34 PM   #2
tangolima

When I brought my first M1 to range, it hung up after a few clips. The action was stuck half open and it was very hard to move the op handle in either direction. I did a field strip (I had practiced that several times at home) right there and then. That attracted attention of range regulars (experts). They were eager to help. I was lectured on lubing / greasing the said rifle, and the rifle got a generous coat of lube almost everywhere. It seemed to help. I could hand cycle the gun after I put it back together. I fired a few more clips. With spits of oil and grease flying in all directions, the gun hung up again, just like before. Seeing the experts closing in with lube bottles in hands, I decided to call it a day.

The problem had nothing to do with lubing. The gas piston at the tip of the new op rod had raised burr around its edge. That was what caused the stoppage. I chamfered the edge slightly with file, the problem never happened again.

I don't believe M1 requires unique lubing of its own kind. I apply the same principles to all gun designs. If surfaces bear load, I put grease; oil otherwise. I currently favor superlube synthetic grease and breakfree.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 30, 2022, 05:40 AM   #3
jcj54

M1 lubrication

I use rifle grease (not automotive grease) where indicated and FP10 oil where indicated and mine run fine.
Old April 30, 2022, 06:58 AM   #4
lunger

For mine Lubriplate 130 for grease and Hoppes gun oil.

Just what I've always used ,I am sure some of the modern products work as well or better.
Old April 30, 2022, 10:17 AM   #5
akinswi

They say you can tell when you need to lube a M1, on how it throws the brass. The drier it gets I think it starts to throw them a completely different direction in stead of between 1 and 3 oclock.

But I could be wrong on this, as I am not an expert.
Old May 1, 2022, 02:41 PM   #6
Mongo_Bongo

Breakfree CLP and Tetra grease.
Old May 1, 2022, 02:55 PM   #7
Nodak1858

https://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease/
here's a good guide on lube points. I use Mobil 1 oil and red grease for all my guns. Honestly lube technology has come a long way after 80 years since the M1 was developed. So any quality oil and grease will do. But asking Garand folks on the "right" oil/grease to use will get a lot of answers and a lot of bunched up underwear.
Old May 2, 2022, 10:38 AM   #8
RickB

I cleaned all the lube from mine, and relubed with Mobil 1.
The bright red color of the grease, and instructions I found that recommended just enough of it that you can't see it's red - the color becomes distinct only when it's thickly applied - was attractive.

I did quite a bit of research into lubes when I got my rifle, as a lot of Garand owners do, and couldn't find any government manuals or specs that indicated grease was required because of its lubricating properties compared to oil, but because only grease could pass tests intended to wash lubricant from the surfaces; the surfaces absolutely must be lubed, and only grease could be counted on to stay in place.
Old May 2, 2022, 01:40 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

See if you can get a copy of the Army Field Manual for the M1 Rifle.

Printed, on paper as a book. I keep a copy of the M14 FM in the case I use for my M1A. Just to have, in case I need to check something...

The "Field" manual, not the "Technical Manual". FM's cover user use. TM's cover shop work.

The FM will tell you what the Army said to lube, with what, and where.

It's not Holy Writ never to be departed from, but it is a good reference, and a "historical" accessory you should have with your M1 Rifle. (also get the GI cleaning kit and multipurpose tool. You don't have to USE them, but you should have a set, to go with the rifle)

Little things, and not absolutely essential, but they add to the total package, IMHO.
Old May 2, 2022, 03:24 PM   #10
tango1niner

It is important that the slot the tab on the op rod rides in be well lubricated and the tab itself as well. When the tab becomes worn excessively the op rod will dismount from the slot on it own. The op rod will either have to be reconditioned or replaced with one that the tab is within specifications.

The bolt lugs could use a little dab on them as well as the recesses they fit into. A little goes a long way.

I use a nasty black grease I picked up surplus USGI, "grease, automotive and artillery" with molybdenum disulfide in it so it is very slick. If I didn't have that I would use one of the white Lubriplate greases. Just about any type of grease is better than nothing...
Old May 2, 2022, 08:53 PM   #11
hodaka

White lithium grease (generic).
Old May 3, 2022, 02:27 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I used a fair amount of GAA (Grease, Automotive & Artillery) working in the Small Arms shops of various Army maint companies in the 70s. The GAA we had then was yellowish/clear.

so, probably no MoS2 in it back then.

FYI, the grease wasn't used to lube regular firearms (not a repairshop function) it was used to pack the recoil and T&E mechanisms of 81mm and 4.2" mortars.

It will certainly work on your M1 rifle.
Old May 3, 2022, 03:49 PM   #13
Logs

Bottle of this stuff will last you 10-15 years. Works great. Bought mine at NAPA.

Old May 3, 2022, 06:40 PM   #14
Dfariswheel

The M1 Rifle used two greases.........

The original and up to the 1950's was Lubriplate 120. That's a Yellow-White Lithium grease.
In the 1950's the issue grease fro the M1 and M14 was Plasti-Lube.
That's a Brown grease.
Both can still be bought from sources like Brownell's and Champion's Choice.
You can still occasional find Lubriplate or Plasti-Lube in the small buttstock grease jars at gun shows, often in 144 jar case lots.

Truth is, most any heat and water resistant grease will work perfectly.
I know a lot of M1 and M14 shooters buy whatever Lithium grease they find at Walmart or any auto or hardware store.

In the M1 oil was mostly to prevent rust, grease was the lube.
One part that will benefit a lot from grease is greasing the trigger pin.
Match shooters found that oil would dry out and allow the pin to gall and break.
A little grease prevents that.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:42 AM   #15
akinswi

I finally had time to strip it down.

I do not know what the CMP ships the M1 in but wasnt that bad to clean off was able to clean most off it off with a small paint brush and good ole hoppes No 9. The worst part was the op rod recoil spring tube and the recoil spring was like red clay coming off there . Chunks of greese or cosmoline at the end.

The real chore was getting all the fouling out barrel for the break in process it took for ever to cut thru the copper buildup on the grooves. Even using bore tech CU2 took and hr.

It does take longer because you gave to be soo careful with rod at the muzzel
Old May 20, 2022, 11:27 AM   #16
Red Devil

Except for wash-out, you can run an M1 rifle on motor oil.

I use marine grease, even in the bore, as it also has detergents and anti-corrosion additives.

Red