The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 17, 2022, 07:13 PM   #1
AL45

Loctite on grip frame of .454 Casull

Just curious what color of loctite would be recommended for the grip frame on a .454 Casull? Apparently the former owner of the Blackhawk I now own used red. Needless to say, my gunsmith was not too happy.LOL
Old May 17, 2022, 10:16 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I always get a kick out of questions like this, because of what I know, and apparently many others do not.

Loctite has a huge range of products and while they are grouped into colors generally, each group has a range of characteristics, specifically formulated for specific categories of applications.

GO look at their catalogue. You'll see what I mean.

Some formulas are meant to be permanent, never to be removed. Some are "permanent" but made to be removed with heat. Others are made so parts can be removed with the usual tools. Some are high strength, some less so, some low strength.

Where I used to work, we had at least 4 different "red" loctites, 240, 242, 246, and 271. We also had blues, and greens. And different grades of those, as well. Each one was for a specific application in our industry, and using the wrong one would mean your project would fail QC and have to be redone. if not canceled due to your ignorance...

The product I would recommend for gun screws is "Guntite" and was sold under that name by Birchwood Casey. The last tube I bought (years ago, and not used up yet) had GREEN lettering.

Don't use Loctite "red" or "blue" or even "Green" without doing some basic research and knowing which one is which, and what it is made to do, and not do.
Old May 18, 2022, 07:44 AM   #3
BornFighting88

I ran into this exact issue a few years ago at work. I have spent years of hearing the old guard just say, "The color of the goo denotes what it will do"...

Red was permanent, blue was vibration resistance, and green was the middle ground. Not saying this is right, but it is what I had drummed into my head for years. We bought some green "retaining compound" loc-tite for holding roller bearings in place inside of a wheel package for the race car. Worked like a charm!! Getting it apart?? Well let's just say the stuff did its dang job.

All the blue we have can be broken with the use of hand tools and a good strong grip.

Red?? Heat gun and some vibration and its broken but messy.

But that said, we only stock one grade of blue, one grade of red, and one grade of green. We felt this eliminated the confusions associated with all the different grades and strengths.

I still use blue to keep optics rails in place, or to keep the screws on my holster from backing out and losing retention. That is about it.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:46 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I try not to use thread lockers at all on firearms. But the need does arise at times.

I use "purple"/222 for small screws and pins that *will* be removed again.
I use "blue"/242 for small screws and pins that I don't want moving and don't want to remove again, or larger pins and screws that need a little more help staying put.
"Red" (any number) does not come near my firearms.
I very, very rarely grab "green" (don't remember which 'wicking' formula I have) to lock something that is already assembled. The way that I use it, "green" = "thin red".
Old May 18, 2022, 05:46 PM   #5
Scorch

As a gunsmith, I use a bit of LocTite (actual LocTite, not knock-offs or copies). I use a bit of green 290 and blue 232, but I still have the same small bottle of red LocTite I bought when I started gunsmithing in this location (going on 13 years ago I moved to this shop). Don't know if it's still usable, it's been a long time since I looked at it. But my point is that the easy-to-break types of LocTite are ranked by screw size and hand tools vs heat and impact tools to unfasten coated screws. I seldom use red, only use black on special projects, and often don't use any LocTite at all. If you never used any at all you would probably be just fine without it.
Old May 18, 2022, 11:26 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

You don't seem to hear it much today, but when I was growing up and learning revolvers (which were still the dominant LEO and sporting pistols) it was standard advice to check all the screws for tightness, before use, or at least periodically.

There's a reason all the screws of a S&W are the same size and the guns came with the proper screwdriver.

I always thought that was a classy touch.
Old May 19, 2022, 03:12 PM   #7
Ricklin

Loctite

Be very wary of Loctite and I'm sure the knock off stuff is the same.

Get it no where near Polymer parts. Loctite eats plastics for breakfast.
Old May 20, 2022, 09:18 AM   #8
BornFighting88

I have noticed that, too! Makes them brittle and they crumble. Must be the alcohol or the petroleum in them.