The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2012, 09:09 AM   #51
Shadi Khalil

Rod,

That's a very nice Ruger. I could have sworn it was a freedom arms.
Old February 11, 2012, 03:53 PM   #52
rodfac

Thanks Shadi...It'll do sub-2" gps at 25 yds for me...really likes the Hornady 200 gr XTP or any good 240 gr LSWC with 231 or HP-38. I load for 1000 fps for my day to day carry load on the farm...authoritative and not too difficult to handle. The grips were a project, but turned out well...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 13, 2012, 05:11 PM   #53
Super Sneaky Steve

Without TALO I wouldn't have a beautiful new Birdshead Vaquero.
Old March 22, 2012, 04:29 PM   #54
dgludwig

Quote:
TALO has raised over $500,000 for the USA Shooting Team using Ruger guns
I think TALO should be commended by the shooting community for their generous contribution on the behalf of the USA Shooting Team. I think that too many times businesses do not get the appreciation they deserve for the many times they have stepped up to the plate and have done the right thing with their financial and moral support for causes we all agree are worth fighting for.

Regarding TALO's aforementioned rendition of the Ruger GP100, I would like to ask whyrob if he knows whether the revolver is made of stainless steel and given a unique matte finish or whether the gun is made of carbon steel and given a special protective finish of some kind.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:42 AM   #55
iblong

I have The two tone G19,I bought for 70.00 more than the Standard.
I actually bought it because it had better sights than any in the case and I would have replaced the factories reguardless.Turns out that the slide finish is holding up to daily carry better than any of my other pistols.
Im happy with it.
Old March 23, 2012, 06:49 AM   #56
gunsavy

I always thought it was a another version of fail zero coating. Just bought a exo g17 and the talo glocks look similar.
Old March 23, 2012, 11:45 AM   #57
gunluver

dgludwig ...... The Talo Wiley Clapp is stainless with a bead blasted finish.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #58
dieselbeef

i have a talo s&w ar15...i got it before they became popular guns of the masses. got it right..then found out it retailed for 2500$. nice pkg..has all the good stuff on it. m&p-1 i believe is on the lower
what it doesnt have is a forward assist. the upper and lower are billet and i had to go all the way to s&w to get them to research it to find out why ther was no forward assist and what was so special about this gun.
this was all before i knew this site and almost before so much info online was avail

gary
Old March 23, 2012, 02:35 PM   #59
Shadi Khalil

That Dragon Colt would go great with a rat tail and sleeveless leather vest.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:53 PM   #60
TSooner

TALO Exclusives

TALO produced a S&W Model 360, with a stainless steel cylinder . . . that was exactly what I wanted, and couldn't get from anyone else.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #61
seeker_two

IIRC, TALO is the only place you can get a Ruger single-action with a birdshead grip....
Old May 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #62
THORN74

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrob View Post
Thank you. I am associated with TALO as the Executive Director for the last 14 years. I helped to make Lew Horton Specials before this.
I'll take responsibility for most of the "stupid, over-priced, downgrades".

I am not offended. Can't please them all.

Much of the email we get at TALO is from folks who are pretty happy with their guns.

We'll keep doing it.

Thanks for the kind words.
+1 for whyrob..... great answer/attitude.

Personally, I haven't found most of the talo specials to my liking. I did like the Wiley clapp commander though, and I like the talk take on the colt new agent, even ifntyhe sigts are a hair too big for the gun.

Again great reply whyrob

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old May 22, 2012, 04:37 PM   #63
10mm4ever

Havent you heard, "Talo" is replacing "tactical" as the new catch phrase.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:41 PM   #64
LockedBreech

Is it TALO that does the Glocks finished in NIB-X? Because those are kinda sweet.

Speaking of tactical, on Facebook today Sig Sauer had an ad for a "Tactical Shoulder Bag". I about rolled my eyes out of my head.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:08 PM   #65
oklahomamoses

I have a Ruger 10/22 Talo I-Tac six position folder,threaded stainless/syn stock with flash hider and bipod, one of my all time favorite 22's, i have 14 different guns in this caliber, thanks Talo!
Old October 21, 2012, 09:02 PM   #66
NO-BODY

I was once told by a man with 30 years in sells, "If it smells it sells."
Old October 23, 2012, 07:06 AM   #67
rodfac

Buck460, that is one good lookin' revolver; and that 5" barrel is just about perfect in my opinion. I've got a 5" barreled J-frame Model 60 S&W that's very useful as a trail gun. With an add'l inch of barrel, it still rides in a belt holster without pushing up into my ribs on the tractor, ATV, car seat, or deer stand, and offers add'l sight radius and velocity. Here's the long barreled M60.

Best Regards, Rodfac

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; October 25, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:05 AM   #68
EdInk

Talo will release some of the ugliest (see the Draagon 1911 on page 1) and some really nice models too. I do like the ones with non-standard barrel lengths and upgrade sights.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:57 PM   #69
smokehouse4444

A recent purchase of mine. This is a Talo edition Ruger MkIII. I was looking for a 22 pistol at a gun show and couldn't find what I was looking for. Just before I left, I saw this and knew it was the one. These pics were taken before I cleaned it all up, but it is truly a great looking and feeling handgun. I really enjoy the small extras that are on it that make it just a little "different".

Old January 1, 2013, 03:58 PM   #70
rwsmith

Talo Dragon

I wouldn't even hang that on my wall.
Old January 1, 2013, 04:14 PM   #71
BerdanSS

The price increase is not always true. I was in the LGS last week before they closed for their 5 day new years inventory. They had a 6" Stainless S&W 629 that caught my eye from about 20 feet from the case. It was a brand new 629 Deluxe TALO, and the price was $20 and change less than the standard 6" 686+ sitting right above it. Thinking about going back for it when they re open tomorrow. I've been wanting a classic styled .44 mag DA to deer hunt with.
Old November 11, 2015, 12:25 PM   #72
SpareMag

This is an old thread, but I just picked up a TALO Ruger SR1911.

The way the store was working this day, there wasn't a price increase over the standard SR1911, and I rather like the blacked out treatment.

NO idea if any internals were tweaked.
Old November 11, 2015, 03:52 PM   #73
Badfinger

Quote:
So I have seen many firearms being sold with the TALO description. As far as I understand it, Talo is a distributor of firearms. So they take a gun, put some nice grips on it, change the finsih and viola, an extra $300-$400 dollars retail. Is this just a cosmetics job or do they really enhance the firearm. By such I mean, better reliabity, accuracy, and durability. At the moment I place them along side a commerative that no one asked for or no one cared anout. Am I right in this assumation or not?
I have a Colt's Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander that was spiffed up a bit by TALO, the pistols itself was extremely loose in its fitting, typical union effort from Colt's. The stocks were interesting in that they were even thinner then the standard thin stocks currently in vogue, and that I assume came from TALO, the grip screw bushings were "obligates" meaning that they will only work with that exact grip, they will not accept any other currently manufactured thin grip from any other manufacturer. That was a PIA, they had to be heated out of the pistols frame as they had been red loctited in, the grips were just to thin, but they were cleverly manufactured to match almost perfectly with the little Colt's front strap checkering, they were the first item I replaced on the pistol! The pistol was advertised as everything you need and nothing you don't, and that certainly rang true with the pistols overall fit and finish, which were as previously noted, very loose and poorly finished! At one time this little Commander carried a $1500.00 price tag, ridiculously overpriced for its level of quality and fit, by the time I got mine from Buds, I paid just $990.00 for it, and frankly that was to high! You can literally turn the pistol over on its side, and watch the slide sag down into the frame, doing so gently back and forth and the two primary components audibly slap! I have owned many Colt's pistols over the years, this will be the last one, I am simply tired from having to contact that company and complain about shoddy work such as the WC LW Commander, they very obviously don't give a rat's ass one way or the other, TALO tries to dress up these guns, and largely they do a pretty decent job of it, however in the case of this particular Colt, its all just lipstick on a pig!
Old November 11, 2015, 05:27 PM   #74
Independent George

I have the Wiley Clapp Ruger GP-100, and think it's well worth the $125 I paid above a standard model. Besides the different finish, grips, and sights, the DA trigger much smoother out of the box than the standard model.
Old November 11, 2015, 09:02 PM   #75
Badfinger

Quote:
I have the Wiley Clapp Ruger GP-100, and think it's well worth the $125 I paid above a standard model. Besides the different finish, grips, and sights, the DA trigger much smoother out of the box than the standard model.
I've seen them, the 3" model that is, and its a neat looking Ruger that I would likely purchase, but I can assure you, whichever TALO guy handled my little Colt as they finished up its grips and whatever else they added to it, whoever he was, he knew it was a POS! I will of course never buy a pistol from Colt's again, and neither will I buy any 1911 sight unseen, I got suckered by the so-called new machinery at Colt's, poor judgement on my part.