The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 23, 2010, 02:44 PM   #26
jimbob86

The NRA's American Hunter magazine has a pretty good article on late winter small game hunting this month....
Old December 30, 2010, 03:21 PM   #27
locnload

Chris, Congratulations on your entry into hunting, do it safetly, do it ethicaly, and make us proud. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a father that loved hunting and I tagged along behind him with a toy wooden rifle, then a BB gun and finally a 22 until I was old enough to go out on my own which I did routinely as a teenage boy. Of course there is lots of good info available on the internet and in hunting magazines, but there is nothing like a good mentor to show you tricks, the joys, and the details. Hang around the gun and sporting goods stores, keep an eye out for pick ups with NRA, Ducks Unlimited, and Pheasants Forever bumper stickers in your church parking lot. Old hunters are a friendly bunch and they love to tell stories so just plant yourself in amogn them get to know them, tell them your situation, and I'll bet in no time you will be invited to tag along. Be careful, they also like to play practicle jokes on the "new guy" so keep your sense of humor, and sleep with one eye open for awile. Speaking of humor, if you like to read get ahold of anything you can from Patrick McMannis. His hunting and fishing stories both curent day and childhood memories will keep you in stitches for hours and might just give you more insight into what its really all about. My advice would be spend a lot of time on simple small game hunting. Its easy, inexpensive, relaxing, fun, and a great way to learn what goes on in the woods, where animals live, what they eat, and what their habits are. Its also a way to put some delicious, and healthy food on your families table.
Enjoy, stay safe, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old December 30, 2010, 11:49 PM   #28
publius

Ditto on the squirrel hunting after deer season is over. Lot's of fun and a great way to sharpen your shooting and woodsman skills. There aren't nearly as many people in the woods after squirrels as deer. (It's the only animal I will go onto public land for). They are very good to eat also. if you plan on using your .22, sight it in with good subsonics, I use Aguila. Find a good nut (acorn,walnut,pecan,etc.) tree and sit down in a comfortable spot 15-20yds. away or so and be still and quiet. when you see one wait for a good clean shot and take him down. Don't get up to go get him, just mark where he fell. Stay there and shoot as many as you can, or want. THINK about where that 22 bullet is going to end up if you miss or get a pass-through, you don't want it hitting the Ranger station or the other guy walking through the woods 70 yds. away. Nothing wrong with using a shotgun, you will just have to do some moving around b/c the loud shot spooks the animals more than the .22. You will find a few favorite spots after several hunts.
Old January 2, 2011, 03:14 AM   #29
sc928porsche

Another good way of improving your shooting skills (I know, not hunting, but very important) and finding a hunting mentor is to frequent your local rifle range. Spend some time there and chat with the range master and some of the people. It shouldnt be too long before you will find someone who will be willing to "take you under his wing". You may actually find quite a few.

Welcome to both hunting and shooting. And of course welcome to the forum.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:30 PM   #30
SolomonMan

Update.....

All,
I have had the opportunity to visit a few more areas around my area that support public hunting. One of them is a large state forest that is within 15 minutes of my home but is broken up in maybe square mile increments. Its decent size and supports Turkey, Deer, Rabbit, Squirrel and few upland birds. It may even support a wetland bird as there is a marshy area that I have not had the opportunity to visit yet. The forest experienced a tornado this past year and has affected a decent size area but it was clear cut and from some of my reading may support game still.

I went out with my gear last weekend...just to see if my gear (temp wise) will support the time out I would like to do. Did not bring a firearm as I wanted to do some scouting and see how comfortable things would be mainly in my gear. Everything seemed great except for the boots. I had on hikers and after about 2 hours in them I started feeling the cold. I had a decent pair of hunting socks on and I still was able to move around for a few more hours with out being totally uncomfortable. There was new snow and a few animal tracks mostly rabbit and maybe some other small game (squirrel?). There are plenty of squirrel nests in trees as its has its fair share of mature oak trees. I did find some human signs (old shell casings) which I cleaned up after, as well, but got some useful information on what they could be hunting. I hope to pick up another pair hunting boots before I go out again this weekend.

I also picked up my first hunting license officially.

I am taking advantage of the extended weekend as I have Monday off to do some rabbit hunting. I introduced myself to one of the local Ohio hunting Forums and met a person who lives fairly close that has dogs and hopes to be going out this weekend. So he said I could tag along if I would like. We are still working out the incidentals, if things do not work out, I plan to go out to the State forest again.

Thanks all,
Chris
Old January 13, 2011, 07:45 PM   #31
Death from Afar

If your ever in New Zealand- long way to drive i know- let me know and would be more than happy to give you some tips :>). Well done with all you have done- thats very impressive and I am sure that fate will smile and you will find a mentor. :>)
Old January 13, 2011, 08:46 PM   #32
Cowboy_mo

Winter Boots - rubber & thinsulated

Chris,

For winter hunting in your area, make sure you get rubberized & thinsulated boots. Gotta keep your feet dry....

Also most deer hunters (at least the ones I know) swear by rubber for scent prevention.

You didn't say where your Missouri relatives live but if they don't have land, we have many many MO Dept of Conservation owned areas open to the public. Some get pretty crowded during the deer season but for small game hunting you can often have 2-300 acres all to yourself.

Have fun and keep your feet dry..........
Old January 13, 2011, 09:50 PM   #33
jimbob86

Quote:
I did find some human signs (old shell casings) which I cleaned up after, as well,
Good on ya, leaving it better than ya found it!

Rubber boots hold perspiration in..... wet feet are soon cold feet.

Goretex lined boots keep feet dry .....
Old January 14, 2011, 02:10 PM   #34
cnimrod

after years of cold feet

i got a pair of Sorrels - great for warmth and stand hunting but i cursed them up and down when i had to drag a big deer up and down through the snow - the fit wasn't the best for ankle support and keeping your feet from sliding around inside the boot.
finally spent twice as much on a pair of Rocky snowstalker extremes and haven't regreted it, Big and heavy but very warm and supportive and minimal break-in too.
Old January 18, 2011, 06:37 PM   #35
SolomonMan

Update....#2....

All,
I was able to get out in the field on Monday.

Spent the day Rabbit Hunting with two wonderful beagles named Annie and Lucy. Annie was more experienced and Lucy was just getting started this season. My Mentor (Dave), I spoke about previously, lives fairly close so we were able to spend about 6-7 hours hunting over the Big Island Wildlife Area which is just south of me about a hours drive.

The day was in the 20's Fahrenheit, there was a light breeze (11mph) and the sun came out for about hour and half. I was told that the beagles may have some issue due to the powdery snow we have on ground but they did fine by my eyes.

We decided to visit one of the more hunted areas to see how the dogs were going to do based on weather etc and the area was the first point on the hunt (edge of wildlife area). The sun was out and it was in the mid 20's and it was mid morning. Snow was powdery and dry. I saw a rabbit about 30 minutes to an hour into the hunt, after some minor walking through some grass/brier/plains area. I was very happy on the boots I recently purchased. Nothing very special just a waterproof (black rubber sole?) Winchester set that I was able to pick up on clearance (sub $35 dollars normally $85). The boots were very comfortable, warm, and best of all dry with my bass pro hunting socks ($10).

The animal did not waste any time flying by me which we placed the dogs on immediately. The animal was able to escape the dogs, as well as us, as the it exited the property as it instinctively new exactly where to go. The dogs, in there defense, were called back to avoid the private property as it was posted no hunting. We worked deeper into the wildlife area with little luck so we exited the land and worked our way around the 5300 acre Wildlife area.

We grabbed a quick bite to eat on the go at the local sub shop/gas station and proceeded into what was usually a more productive area. At this point the sun decided to leave us and the wind actually picked up. The snow, from the sun's efforts previously, was wetter. The dogs picked up a scent and then we saw a few animals. One animal escaped by "blending" in and staying out of my sight behind some trees. I was able to see the animal for a instance and then it would sit itself behind the next tree and I could not get a decent shot. My mentor tried to cater to me to get the first rabbit but I relinquished this act of kindness and told him to feel free to show me how its done. The peek-a-boo rabbit, as I called it, kept the dogs busier for a while but finally we called the dogs back to track what appeared to be a very fresh track.

The dogs picked up the scent almost immediately and we watched from a mowed grass section what appeared to be a rabbit running. We prepared as we saw the animal make a b-line for the clearing a ways from us. My mentor said this animal is going to test our shooting skills. He told me he will follow up my shot if I happen to miss. The rabbit made the run for the clearing and I took aim in front of the animal slightly which was a considerable distance from us. I fired my old 12 gauge Winchester 120 pump action Ranger but I shot slightly behind the animal. My mentor immediately followed my shot but he, as well, missed the animal by just a hair. We sent the dogs on the track but nothing was ever seen of the animal again and I believed the animal ran across the tracks and the dogs stopped short as they were trained not to pass over tracks nor roads.

By this point we had hunted over 6 hours and the night was definitely closing in on us. The temperatures began to seriously drop and wind began to pick up even more as a precursor for today which we are experiencing some decent rain\sleet. We stopped for a quick stop at another area that was a hit and miss location. As we arrived another hunter was leaving with three decent rabbits for his table. He had been out apparently a while and he was calling it a day. We decided to walk the area with the dogs just to give me a feeling of what else was available.

As we drove home I reflected on the day, how I got to this point, what I learned, and most of all I began to plan my next outing.

Again Thanks Everyone for the help, (Keep you posted)
Chris
Old January 18, 2011, 06:57 PM   #36
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on your first hunt!

Take heart, it's better to get skunked on your first day than to limit out... you might think it's an easy game if you shoot too many, too quick.

If you ever feel like traveling a few hours, there are thousands upon thousands of acres of state land here in Central/Southern NY that are positively infested with squirrels. I can even put you on some private land... we'd be happy to have them out of our hair come deer season!

The season for Grey Squirrels runs until Feb. 28th, but Red Squirrels are unprotected and unlimited.
Old January 18, 2011, 08:33 PM   #37
Buzzcook

Those bunnies can be fast. I've never hunted them with dogs, that must be fun.

Leading a rabbit, sweep your point of aim past the rabbit in the direction it's going. Don't just try to pick a place ahead of Bugs and try to hit that. This adds an element of timing that helps your shot.

Try some skeet shooting.
Old January 19, 2011, 01:25 PM   #38
SolomonMan

Hunt....

All,
Some of the items I learned while hunting on Monday was the following;

1) Big difference between City/Suburb Rabbits and the Rabbits out in the Wildlife area. The rabbits in the Wildlife area were huge compared to the cottontails in my back yard.

2) I demonstrated that I need to practice my shot. So I have begun to research local shooting ranges...again.

3) Hunting does not necessary have to be a pricey day out. Its something I can do, at least for small game, for a realistic amount of money locally, once I purchased the basic equipment.

4) There are more places to hunt, once researched, then I initially thought possible.

5) Made a new friendship.

6) Will be even more prepared for next season.

7) On a humorous note, a greater appreciation of the Elmer Fudd character in the Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Chris
Old January 19, 2011, 02:07 PM   #39
HiBC

Fudsy,congratulations!
I will suggest:
Someplace way down inside us is a spark of an ancient man who stood in front of a Mastadon.It is a good thing to keep this spark alive.

Some can be gained from reading.Field and Stream,Sports Afield,etc.Its part of immersion.There is a lot of "How to' in them.

I have often recommended the book by RobertRuark "The Old Man and the Boy". I believe you will find it a treasure.

Another important idea: Go afield for any reason.You can soak in it.Off season,you can find rabbits and squirrels.Off season,you can help a landowner fix fence.You can practice stalking with a camera.Learn the habitat you have access to,and gain more access.Access to private land is a treasure to take very good care of.Public land hunting will always hand you a difficulty around other people.
Check out organizations like Ducks Unlimited,Pheasants Forever,etc.Consider becoming active .It may open gates for you.
While fine forearms are a passion unto themselves,be realistic about prioritizing resources.A $3000 fine firearm is great,but alone,its just a thing.$3000 might buy a $300 firearm and two $1350 trips,A hunter with an old 30-30 will get venison.
Start learning how to cook game!
Old January 19, 2011, 02:15 PM   #40
jimbob86

Congratualations! Good luck in the future, keep at it.

Hunting rabbits with good dogs is something I have never done..... I've always just still hunted them....
Old January 19, 2011, 04:28 PM   #41
SolomonMan

American Hunter Magazine....

All,
I read the post by jimbob86 about NRA's American Hunter Magazine.

I currently subscribe to Petersen's hunting, Ohio Outdoor News (Biweekly), Ohio Fish and Game, Outdoor Life, In-Fisherman and support and get a Subscription to MUCC (Michigan United Conservation Club) Magazine. (I read a lot during the evenings!)

I am curious is there anywhere I can pick the American Hunter magazine up at a chain bookstore etc? (Barnes and Noble, Books a Million, and Borders - We also have Bass Pro and Cabela's near by). I am not able to locate the magazine at my library and they even searched for it for me in their Periodical CD listing.

I am considering calling all the above bookstores etc to see if I can find it but I thought I would check with you folks first. I was interested in the small game article as well as the taking a look at the magazine as a whole for maybe a future subscription.

Can someone confirm for me the month/year of the small game article?

Thanks again,
Chris
Old January 19, 2011, 09:56 PM   #42
Cowboy_mo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The NRA magazines are only sent to NRA members (to the best of my knowledge) so I don't think you will find them for sale in any stores.

Join the NRA, get the magazine, and help support the 2nd amendment.

Glad you enjoyed your 1st hunt, and wish you many many more.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:44 PM   #43
SolomonMan

Magazine....

All,
I now see that on the Join Page of the NRA about the magazine.

Is it possible to get back issues once you Join the NRA?

Or am I outta luck unless someone can scan me the article?

Thanks,
Chris
Old February 1, 2011, 02:39 PM   #44
SolomonMan

NRA Magazine...

All,
I called up the NRA and they said they can get me past month magazines without a problem. I am planning on Joining at the same time as my request but will need to know the month.

Anyways, does anybody know the month....jimbob86 was referring... current month - December/January?

Thanks,
Chris
Old February 1, 2011, 03:55 PM   #45
Buzzcook

This might help.
http://www.americanhunter.org/

http://www.americanhunter.org/Faq.aspx
Old February 4, 2011, 11:25 AM   #46
SolomonMan

NRA....

All,
Joined the NRA and the back issue will be sent to me according to the person (Andrew) I spoke to about membership.

A long haul just to get a magazine article but maybe I will learn a thing or two.

We recently got a fair amount of snow fall (12 inches), plus a few family functions that came in which will allow me only to go out maybe two more, for sure one more time, before the season ends.

I am looking into the Spring Turkey hunting but I also spring Walleye and Trout fish so going to have to balance my outdoor activities .

All again thanks for the help,
Chris
Old March 3, 2011, 11:09 AM   #47
SolomonMan

Update...

All,
I went out again the last weekend of Rabbit Season in Ohio and did not have any luck and neither did 5 others that went with us hunting. The senior member with us had been hunting well over 30 yrs. (father of one of the guys) so I learned a few more things.

We had a wonderful time out, saw a few bald eagles, some new excellent fishing/hunting grounds I did not know existed so close to home, and overall a great time with some new friends.

One guy found a shed antler of a white tail deer that I would have guessed to be at least a 8 point and it was a fairly new shed as the mice\bleaching etc did not get to it yet. I also located a public shooting range, even though it is 40 miles away, I may track down to as it is a reasonable distance and I need the practice.

Looking into the spring turkey hunt, but got the Maumee Walleye Run and Ohio Trout fishing that will begin here in the next 2 weeks so got to see how that will play into things.

The NRA magazine article and the American Hunter magazine I found informative and very much worth the effort.

Plan to work with my son, who is now 8, on getting his hunter education course started. I hope to tie it in with his scouting project and his K-12 Eduction (online state sponsored home school).

Thanks everyone for the help and keep you all posted,
Chris
SolomonMan
Old March 4, 2011, 11:30 AM   #48
cnimrod

Sounds like

You've got the right attitude to enjoy years of hunting. I've always said if you don't like getting out and being part of nature and only depend on "success" to make you happy - you won't hunt for long.
It's shed hunting season here in NJ - Son and I found 3 of them last weekend- actually he found all 3 of them and it was great seeing how excited he was to find his first sheds. A promise of "possible" success for next fall.
Enjoy,
Cliff