The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2018, 07:02 PM   #26
bamaranger

the rest of the story........

Okay, so here's how it all turned out. I meet my pal today at church, he produces the can/bottle, it's labeled "Diamondback" and clearly marked FFFg, still sealed, unopened. So, not "Reanactor" powder, as I was first advised. Apparently, the original seller usually has "Reenactor Powder" as he is part of a Civil War cav. outfit, but in this instance, the can he was willing to part with was "Diamondback" . Reading the labels on Diamondback, it is imported by an outfit so named, and mfg'd in Brazil by Elepahnte (?). I don't have the container in front of me. But anyhow, I'm calling it good, and will shoot it in my rifles.

I was asked about my uses. Two caplock .50 T/C's, and a CVA .32. I hunt them all a wee bit. Killed a doe with the Renegade this fall. In selecting 3F as my standard powder, I can shoot the big bores, and the little .32 from the same can, and not have to fuss with multiple horns and flasks. Keep it simple sister. I have had trouble with synthetic black powder igniting satisfactorily in my caplocks in field conditions of cold or damp and won't use the stuff. True BP goes bang, seemingly every time with a clean rifle, and right away too.

I do not see the need to go to a gun shop and wave cash, and I'm not sure how effective a tactic it would be if I did. I can order online, and as long as I'm willing to spend $100 bucks (which I'm not) on a minimum order 4-5 cans and a hazmat fee, I could likely get all I wanted. But I only want a can or two for hunting and some experimenting with the .32. Too, there does not seem the interest in BP and traditional guns these days. I really dunno if a shop would want to deal with a 4-5 can order with lack of the interest in it. You can buy synthetic near everywhere and that seems to do for the majority of folks around here. Most all who dabble in primitive weapon hunts locally, are shooting inlines with scopes, synthetic BP, sabots, and 209 primers. Heck, a local shop supposedly had a barrel full of sidelock guns, abused and neglected, for near nothing.

JAKEWAY, that is really decent offer and I appreciate it. I'm likely good to go, but watch for a PM. PS...I try to avoid Nashville like the plague, too many darn people and traffic. Bamawife likes Franklin, shopping and coffee shops!!!!!!!!!

So that's the rest of the story. I learned a bit about "Reenactor Powder", where a shop is that carries real 3F. Thanks for all replies
Old January 21, 2018, 09:26 PM   #27
drobs

You should get yourself a cap & ball revolver to play around with. Lots of fun.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:43 PM   #28
rodwhaincamo

I agree ^
Old January 22, 2018, 09:57 AM   #29
Hawg

I agree x2 ^^ Or even two or three, maybe four.
Old January 22, 2018, 10:03 AM   #30
Jim Watson

That's better.
Some lots of powder from Elephant in Brazil were quite good, the rest passable.
Too bad they folded.
Old January 22, 2018, 12:39 PM   #31
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If the Reenactment Powder is anything like Reenactment Musket Caps? IMHO The previous powder owner made out very well in his sale.

Truthfully: I know nothing about Reenactment Powder/s. But I have experienced such CCI Caps in the distant past. i.e. which was the cause of my mounting Mag Spark nipples on my 58 _54's & 45 Green Mtn __Quicky Twist Barrel.

Such is life:
Written above Makes my write Moot.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:07 AM   #32
toot44

the add doesn't say you can push a ball in front of it. i for one would shoot the awful PYRODEX, be fore i wold ever use it.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:13 AM   #33
Hawg

CCI musket caps are junk. They are very weak. I use RWS musket caps. CCI #10 and #11 are the best percussion caps out there(IMO) If you can find some of the old CCI 6 wing musket caps they're as good as RWS but leave the 4 wing alone.
Old February 6, 2018, 10:20 AM   #34
zipspyder

Quote:
the add doesn't say you can push a ball in front of it. i for one would shoot the awful PYRODEX, be fore i wold ever use it.
From the GOEX website:

"Also suitable for recreational round ball muzzleloaders, where it performs nicely at low pressures".

Not sure what ad you were looking at?
Old February 7, 2018, 08:52 AM   #35
toot44

Hawg, how about the NEW musket caps that don't have any WINGS on them at all? have you tried them?
Old February 7, 2018, 10:28 AM   #36
Hawg

I haven't seen any CCI musket caps without wings. I have some RWS musket caps without wings but they're probably 20 years old.