The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2019, 08:01 PM   #1
bspillman

Has the XD fallen out of favor?

I’m seeing them for sell often in my area and even new ones are going for less than 400. Have they fallen out of favor to gun owners/ lovers.
Old May 7, 2019, 08:27 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Maybe people got wise to the fact it’s croatian designed and made pistol with springfields name stamped on it carrying a 300% price increase due to “Springfield” being on the side.

I personally never liked them. In part because my Glocks fit all my needs. Also in part because of the above. Springfield had and still has absolutely nothing to do with the gun’s design or manufacturing but they aren’t upfront about it at all.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 7, 2019, 08:53 PM   #3
GarandTd

I never liked the way they look.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:02 PM   #4
JERRYS.

i'm not a grip safety on a glock type gun kind of guy.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Nathan

Hush your mouths! I really like mine. I would sell my M&P and Glock first. Have you tried the mod2 guns?
Old May 7, 2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Maybe people got wise to the fact it’s croatian designed and made pistol with springfields name stamped on it carrying a 300% price increase due to “Springfield” being on the side.

I personally never liked them. In part because my Glocks fit all my needs. Also in part because of the above. Springfield had and still has absolutely nothing to do with the gun’s design or manufacturing but they aren’t upfront about it at all.
People knew about the XD was a redesigned HS2000 since the beginning of its inception.

Reece was ALWAYS upfront about where the XD came from and why. If in part you're dismissive of the XD and in favor of Glocks because of the "300% price increase", then I guess you don't know how much markup Glocks are.

The main driving reason the XD seems to fall out of favor is the simple fact the market has been flooded with similar firearms. Beretta, S&W, Ruger, and many others have joined in on the fray for market share on that platform. To top it off, the market in general has cooled off considerably since Trump's election. I've seen ALL makes suffer from a buyer's market.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 7, 2019, 09:15 PM   #7
Nathan

Quote:
If in part you're dismissive of the XD and in favor of Glocks because of the "300% price increase", then I guess you don't know how much markup Glocks are.
...and you don’t understand the relationship between cost and price....none. Objects are sold for what the market will bear. Cost is what it costs to deliver to the market?
Old May 7, 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
TxFlyFish

They are affordable and hugely popular...I certainly don’t feel like their popularity has diminished
Old May 7, 2019, 09:29 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
...and you don’t understand the relationship between cost and price....none. Objects are sold for what the market will bear. Cost is what it costs to deliver to the market?
I know NOTHING about the relationship between cost and price? I just explained exactly your assertion of how objects are sold for what the market will bear. They used to be in high demand. Their going prices were much higher than what they're going for today. I also stated how competition drove down the the market demand for XDs. That, in turn, drives down prices. I never said anything about COST other than another poster saying he doesn't favor XDs because of his dubious claim of a "300% price increase, when Glocks have a huge markup in of themselves.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 7, 2019, 09:33 PM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
You are right....I need to read better!

Feel free to delete my posts!
Nah. All is well and good. I ain't exactly perfect in the reading comprehension department, myself.
Old May 7, 2019, 09:47 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Have always been pleased with my XD40 Sub Compact. It's been reliable, accurate, and even fun to shoot.
What difference does it make where it's made? Croatia isn't some third World slave state. It's a republic in Europe with a very high standard of living! Their form of government sounds very much like Great Britton.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2019, 10:22 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFlyFish View Post
They are affordable and hugely popular...I certainly don’t feel like their popularity has diminished
I think saying "hugely popular" is a bit of an overstatement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2019, 05:03 AM   #13
JJ45

They may not be hugely popular but I have an XD Service 9 and an Xdm Compact 3.8 9mm with over 1000 rounds through each with NO malfunctions of ANY kind. Not a lot of rounds, some may say, but they are not the only weapons I shoot.

The only other auto pistols I have that are as reliable as these XDs are my PM Makarovs. Curiously, they are both foreign designs but 99% of my firearms are US made.

Obviously, there are other pistols that compare well to these two
Old May 8, 2019, 05:20 AM   #14
jmr40

I had one briefly. Compared to Glock or any other striker fired gun with a plastic frame they are probably pretty close in quality. But being SAO with no active safety they will never be approved for most LE agencies. People buy and use what they see in cops holsters.

It probably doesn't cost any more to build a Glock than any other plastic gun, but that has nothing to do with the cost to consumers. If someone likes the XD and can get it for 1/2 the price of a Glock they will probably have a good pistol. But there are design features on the XD that I don't like and a Glock is easily worth double the price to me.

I don't like the grip safety on a 1911. It would be a better gun without it, but I'll tolerate it on my 1911's since it is just part of the traditional design. My 1911's are just range toys anyway. But I won't tolerate a grip safety on any other gun, especially one so poorly designed as the one on the XD.

Winston Churchill
Old May 8, 2019, 07:31 AM   #15
precision_shooter

Quote:
People knew about the XD was a redesigned HS2000 since the beginning of its inception.

Reece was ALWAYS upfront about where the XD came from and why. If in part you're dismissive of the XD and in favor of Glocks because of the "300% price increase", then I guess you don't know how much markup Glocks are.

The main driving reason the XD seems to fall out of favor is the simple fact the market has been flooded with similar firearms. Beretta, S&W, Ruger, and many others have joined in on the fray for market share on that platform. To top it off, the market in general has cooled off considerably since Trump's election. I've seen ALL makes suffer from a buyer's market.
Glock never offered their pistols under any other name except Glock. I know full well about the markup from mfg, then you have the markup from retailers. It’s called capitalism and I’m fine with that.
Springfield can’t design nor produce a pistol that is not 1911 pattern so they bought a well designed Croatian-made gun, slapped their name on it, and yes increased the price 300% over what the same pistol sold for when it was known as the HS2000. Glock designed and still mfg their own guns, to which EVERYONE has tried to immigrate or approve upon their base design somehow. Remember when s&w got sued for making an exact copy of Glocks design? A lot of people don’t, but this is why you have the M&P line. You say Springfield were upfront, and maybe they mentioned it at some point. We will just have to agree to disagree about what being “upfront” is... Anyway, I digress. You seem to like the XD, I don’t and stated why. You, nor anyone, have to agree with my view.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; May 8, 2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old May 8, 2019, 08:59 AM   #16
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
Glock never offered their pistols under any other name except Glock. I know full well about the markup from mfg, then you have the markup from retailers. It’s called capitalism and I’m fine with that.
Springfield can’t design nor produce a pistol that is not 1911 pattern so they bought a well designed Croatian-made gun, slapped their name on it, and yes increased the price 300% over what the same pistol sold for when it was known as the HS2000. Glock designed and still mfg their own guns, to which EVERYONE has tried to immigrate or approve upon their base design somehow. Remember when s&w got sued for making an exact copy of Glocks design? A lot of people don’t, but this is why you have the M&P line. You say Springfield were upfront, and maybe they mentioned it at some point. We will just have to agree to disagree about what being “upfront” is... Anyway, I digress. You seem to like the XD, I don’t and stated why. You, nor anyone, have to agree with my view.
I bought my HS2000 back around 2001 online for around $280 plus shipping and transfer. If you look on gun.deals.com there are new XD9 pistols selling for under $300, starting at about $280 plus shipping. https://gun.deals/product/springfiel...barrel-161-299 Even though these guns come with only one mag that's hardly a 300% mark up. Also Springfield has a very good warranty that covers shipping. When I bought my HS2000 not so much. I had used parts sent to me for repairs because the importer didn't have new parts.
Old May 8, 2019, 09:10 AM   #17
Siggy-06

I really liked the new grip on the Mod 2, especially in the subcompact model, but the trigger was complete mush. I would have walked out the door with one if the trigger was better.
Old May 8, 2019, 09:15 AM   #18
precision_shooter

Never said you couldn’t find a good deal on an XD. But by and large, I see the XD selling for $550-$600 for a sub $300 pistol. 300% in my example may be an over-exaggeration, but the fact remains of a ridiculous price hike once Springfield put their name on it. The HS2000, depending on model, caliber, barrel length, sold for $215-$300 before Springfield bought them. Big price increase from $215-$550+. People didn’t and still don’t seem to care because it says “Springfield” on it, and to them that’s worth the money. To me, it’s not.
Old May 8, 2019, 09:24 AM   #19
IdaD

I don't have any particular aversion to them but I do tend to think Glock and M&P are the two polymer striker gun lines that stand out from the crowd a bit, while the XD is more back in the pack with the others. It's not great when you're most notable feature is the GRIP ZONE.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 AM   #20
lee n. field

There's a subset of folks that seem to get bent totally out of shape by the affront of the existence of the Springfield XD.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 8, 2019, 11:09 AM   #21
precision_shooter

Quote:
There's a subset of folks that seem to get bent totally out of shape by the affront of the existence of the Springfield XD.
And another subset that seem to get all bent out of shape because there is a subset that doesn’t like their beloved XD.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:24 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But being SAO with no active safety they will never be approved for most LE agencies. People buy and use what they see in cops holsters.

Is that why you never see a Glock carried by a police officer?

You really need to look around more!
http://www.shootingrangeindustries.c...45-colt-m1911/
Old May 8, 2019, 11:27 AM   #23
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And another subset that seem to get all bent out of shape because there is a subset that doesn’t like their beloved XD.
Just like Sig, CZ, Kimber, S&W, Colt, and any variation on a 1911.
Old May 8, 2019, 01:03 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post

I believe he is making a distinction between the XD and the Glock based on the amount the striker is cocked at rest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Lohman446

Quote:

A Glock and most other striker fired guns, at rest, does not have the striker under full tension. In theory it cannot go off due to mechanical failure because there is not enough tension on the striker to ignite a primer. A XD, and some others, have the striker fully tensioned when at rest. In theory a mechanical failure that allows the striker to go forward could cause an accidental discharge.

Is it a meaningful distinction? Probably not. Is it a distinction that matters to selection committees? I'm sure Glock (and most other striker manufacturers) makes the difference abundantly clear when given the chance to a committee

Last edited by Lohman446; May 8, 2019 at 02:05 PM.