The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 30, 2020, 07:45 AM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
The .22 short is the "weakest" of the 3 rds. There are manually operated firearms that will chamber and shoot all 3, but the short typically does not generate enough omph at the breech to cycle a .22 autoloader that was not specifically intended to shoot shorts.
When I was a kid my brother bought a strange .22 rifle from Montgomery Wards (or maybe Westurnauto), that was an autoloader, had a strange elastic Red carry strap that would roll-up into the butt stock. We shot mostly .22 Shorts in that rifle inasmuch as they were commonly available and cheaper than Longs and Long Rifles. In short, the action functioned with all three. I think the brand name was "Western Field" or maybe "J.C. Higgings"...it was in the Fifties and I am not sure now.
Old September 30, 2020, 11:14 AM   #27
Drm50

When I was a kid everyone had a 22. For plinking around shorts were popular because you could by two boxes of shorts for almost same money as one box of 22Lr. The prices in those days were competitive, unlike today’s monopolies. The short and standard velocity cartridges were both cheaper than HV 22s. The semi autos required HV to work dependably so they ended up being the “standard” 22 cartridge and cheapest because of sales volume. The makers charge premium for standard velocity 22Lr. It’s sold as Target and Sub Sonic.
Old October 1, 2020, 05:16 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

As a kid shooting gophers from my dads bolt action I almost always used shorts. They were cheaper and you could fit more of them in the tube. I still have that rifle and it’s amazingly accurate, even with my old eyes at 25 yds with original steel sights it’s easy to shoot as many founds as you please into a dime size group. Dad bought this rifle in 1947 and the only way he could afford it was shooting jackrabbits for the bounty, plus it helped put meat on the table for seven kids.
Old October 1, 2020, 11:06 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

If you can remember when shorts were less expensive the .22 long rifle, you must be as old as I am.
Jeepaholic
Old October 1, 2020, 10:27 PM   #30
langenc

And some yrs ago, when available( 22 LR), the clerk at WM would ask "is this for a handgun." NO 22 long RIFLE would be my answer.

When the old man at the hardware would sell me 22 ammo -1955 or so, at
65 cents a box, I had choice of what length-price did vary somewhat.
Old October 1, 2020, 10:44 PM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc
And some yrs ago, when available( 22 LR), the clerk at WM would ask "is this for a handgun." NO 22 long RIFLE would be my answer.
They still do that. It's because the law says they can sell rifle ammunition to people age 18 and older, but they can only sell handgun ammunition to people age 21 and older. The law doesn't know or care that it's the same ammunition. If you tell the clerk it's for a handgun, the next question is "Are you over 21 years old?"

My answer to that is, "Seriously?"
Jeepaholic

Tags