The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 29, 2017, 06:35 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Hi Point 10mm carbine is coming

Never had a desire to own a Hi Point carbine, but since 10mm carbines aren't common or this low price, it's peaked my interest.

https://youtu.be/ZJVQmXVHwW8?t=938

Any of you gentleman interested in a Hi Point 10mm carbine? How about a 10mm Hi Point pistol?
Old October 29, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
MarkCO

I love 10mm, I won't shoot a blowback in a 10mm.
Old October 29, 2017, 06:59 PM   #3
stagpanther

Hmmm--I said a while ago if they ever came out with one I'd be in--I was actually considering building one. What I REALLY want to do is get and barrel it to 9 x 25 dillon. ; )
Old October 29, 2017, 07:54 PM   #4
MTT TL

If they could strengthen the receiver up I'd be more interested in a Keltec 2000 version. I think right now the 10mm would pound one their current receivers in to oblivion in short order.

HiPoint continues to unimpress me with their lack of innovation. For a low end, cheap shooter it is normally tough to go wrong. But 10mm is more of round found in higher end guns and the ammo is pricey.

"Cheap" and "10mm" are not often found in the same paragraph so I am unsure what the market will be. 10mm will make a decent hog gun though.
Old October 29, 2017, 08:34 PM   #5
ttarp

I might be up for one, hard to say really. I have plenty of faith in Hi Points tendency to overbuild things to an absurd extent, so a blowback 10mm doesn't scare me, but since I would likely just use it as a plinker I would probably pass.
Old October 29, 2017, 09:16 PM   #6
roashooter

Never had a desire for anything in 10mm....
Old October 29, 2017, 09:16 PM   #7
K_Mac

My father-in-law has a .40 that weighs just about as much as my pickup! He does have a variable power scope, light, laser sight, and vertical hand grip on it. I'm afraid a similarly equiped 10 mm would require more time at the gym for me to operate. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun to play with though...
Old October 29, 2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

If HighPoint would use GLOCK MAGAZINES I'd be much happier.

Every HP rifle I've shot has been 100 percent reliable and accurate.

Since they make a .40 HP carbine I don't see why not a 10mm. Just increase the slide weight and recoil spring.

Now if it can be converted to 9x25 Dillon....

Deaf
Old October 29, 2017, 09:44 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I have plenty of faith in Hi Points tendency to overbuild things to an absurd extent, so a blowback 10mm doesn't scare me
The felt recoil in a blowback is what worries me.
I won't be buying one.
I won't buy one of their 40s either.
Old October 29, 2017, 10:01 PM   #10
Screwball

Really wanted to see a .45 or 10mm SUB-2000... just because. The tube design shouldn’t be that hard to modify.

Just can’t see why KelTec never got around to it... keeping just 9mm and .40.

For the Hi-Point, is it a single stack like the others? Like mentioned, it would be just a lot more accepted if they used Glock magazines.
Old October 30, 2017, 01:12 AM   #11
Model12Win

I wish Hi Point would join the rest of us in 2017 and bring out a model with double column magazines... Glock magazines would be nice. They'd sell a lot more guns, just don't see why they refuse to do this. It's crazy.
Old October 30, 2017, 02:02 AM   #12
MTT TL

Quote:
I wish Hi Point would join the rest of us in 2017 and bring out a model with double column magazines... Glock magazines would be nice.
I think the original intent was to stay 50 state legal. Now that they are a part of the corporate gun empire it is simply a cash cow for them in the product life cycle.
Old October 30, 2017, 02:38 AM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
I think the original intent was to stay 50 state legal. Now that they are a part of the corporate gun empire it is simply a cash cow for them in the product life cycle.
The original intent was to avoid non-compliance with the Clinton AWB. Now that that's been gone for 13 years and counting, I don't think that Hi Point offering doublestack model pistols and carbines would be a bad move for business as most of the states do not have hi capacity magazine laws and those that do can still get the single stack models HP makes. Those states have a high enough population that it's worth continuing to make them.

Then the rest of the country can buy the doublestack HP's, which would entice people Model12Win to actually buy one.

I can say personally, I don't like the single stacks mags, but I like 10mm enough that I'd be willing to deal with that in order to get a 10mm Carbine.
Old October 30, 2017, 04:14 AM   #14
HiBC

I'm not fascinated.
I could see a 10mm carbine...but IMO,some form of locked breech,like a revamp on the M-1 carbine would suit me better.
Blowback delivers diminishing returns. A 9x18 Mak PA-63 might be at the top of the blowback weight/power pistol selection.A 9x19 blowbacks slide gets you in the Canick zone.Yet the Shield is 9x19 at what? 21 OZ?And economical.

I have fired the old 07 Winchester blowback semi-auto in .401 Win. The forend on that rifle is a thin shell. A massive bolt extends into the forend .
The rifle works,but its heavy,it kicks like a mule,and it does not deliver that great of ballistics. But it is"cool" in a nostalgic way.Hi-Point lacks that.

Compare the .401 Win 07 to the Ruger semi auto 44 Magnum twin of the 10-22.

Now,something like a Glock mag locked breech AR upper....Or even a bennelli style inertial lock. Tokarev roller?

Last edited by HiBC; October 30, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old October 30, 2017, 10:27 AM   #15
OldScout

I had a 9mm Hi Point carbine. Can't say anything against Hi Point carbines. It was a blast to shoot and had no problems. But with the new 10mm, I would rather have some reports from those who get one before buying it. New firearms like anything else can have problems and be a big PIA. Also Hi Point has an excellent service Dept.
Old October 30, 2017, 10:52 AM   #16
Nanuk

If you are going with a carbine why not spend a little more and get a mechtech?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:32 AM   #17
TruthTellers

^ Because the Mechtech is just an upper. One would have to already own or buy a Glock 20 or 21 and if you always wanted the Mechtech carbine and Glock available at a moments notice you'd have to buy a lower, which will run about $150 or more.

So a lower and the upper would be about twice that of the Hi Point.
Old October 30, 2017, 11:58 AM   #18
Bartholomew Roberts

Let's take a cartridge famous for tearing up steel-framed pistols and chamber it in a zinc-alloy blowback carbine! What's the worst that could happen?

Besides, with what 10mm ammo costs, it will probably cost five to ten times the cost of the carbine to shoot it to destruction.
Old October 30, 2017, 12:57 PM   #19
Stats Shooter

I am in the process of an AR-.40 S&W build. I reload .40 S&W and have several pistols in that cartridge already.

The ammo for the 10 mm for a reloader isn't bad at all. Once you have the brass, it is very close in cost the loading for the .40 S&W, exact same dies also.

Initially I wanted to build a 10 mm. But there are a lot of issues with it. Not the cartridge, but trying to get systems designed for other cartridges to work well in the 10 mm. The 10 mm has a higher MAP rating of 37.5k psi vs the .40 S&W at 35k psi. Then, the longer case allows for MUCH higher velocity at the SAME pressure as the .40 S&W...allow for more pressure and the velocity difference is somewhere around 300fps relative to the .40. With a 180 gr bullet, the 10 mm has almost 45% more muzzle energy than a .40 S&W (440 vs 650 ft. lbs). That is a lot of additional stress on a firearm and auto-loading system that wasn't really designed for it.... not to mention the shooter.

So, what that means is that a 10mm needs to be somewhat re-designed to handle stresses well in excess of common 9mm or even .40 S&W carbines. And the blowback system is going to get beaten to death.

In the late 80's, H&K was contracted to make an MP5 variant in 10mm. They only made a few, and IIRC the system was failing after a relatively low round count due the blowback system.

Here is a more modern version, much beefier than the original as far as materials, and obviously not cheap.

My summary point here is, that a useful and reliable 10mm carbine may be out of the cost range that hi-point can/should operate in. And without some serious engineering to cut weight yet remain strong, caution should be taken when choosing a 10 mm in a carbine. It is a serious handgun round.
Old October 30, 2017, 02:26 PM   #20
Nanuk

Quote:
^ Because the Mechtech is just an upper. One would have to already own or buy a Glock 20 or 21 and if you always wanted the Mechtech carbine and Glock available at a moments notice you'd have to buy a lower, which will run about $150 or more.

So a lower and the upper would be about twice that of the Hi Point.
And 3 times the quality.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 30, 2017, 04:17 PM   #21
reddog81

The Hi Point sounds interesting. I have a Mech Tech CCU in 9MM for a Glock and would try out the Hi Point before buying another Mech Tech. Hi Point has a no questions asked return policy so I wouldn’t be too worried about damaging the gun. Additionally the Hi Point has a last shot hold open feature, comes standard with sights, and has a trigger.

My biggest concern would be the diminishing returns of the longer barrel. Looking at ballistics by the inch website shows a Federal 10MM 180 grain Hydro Shok at 1232 out of an 18" barrel and at 1069 out of a 5". That's an average increase of 12.5 FPS for each inch. For a 158 grain Federal .357 the comparable stats are 1719 FPS vs 1373 FPS with an increase of 26.6 FPS for each inch. The 10MM carbine would be a fun plinker, but the long barrel just doesn't produce that much of an increase in performance. FWIW I didn't see the Hi Point barrel length mentioned in any of the articles I read, but i'm assuming its around 16 to 18 inches.
Old October 30, 2017, 04:50 PM   #22
TruthTellers

Forget about the velocity increase from a pistol reddog, it's the total velocity from a 10mm Carbine that matters. That Federal ammo is not the hot 10mm that Corbon, Buffalo Bore, Doutbletap, and Underwood make.

Let's look at the Buffalo Bore stuff. 1573 fps with 180gr bullet is 989 ft/lbs in a semi automatic rifle that can hold 10 or 15 rds and much faster reloading than a .357 lever action or bolt action.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:19 PM   #23
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Forget about the velocity increase from a pistol reddog, it's the total velocity from a 10mm Carbine that matters. That Federal ammo is not the hot 10mm that Corbon, Buffalo Bore, Doutbletap, and Underwood make.
That's an important point. The problem though is, auto pistol cartridges are short. The 44 so/mag and 357/38 are a lot longer relative to their overal caliber. So in carbines you can go to a slower powder and really begin to utilize the longer barrel.

But auto pistol cartridges are short and best suited for a handgun and handgun magazine. The case water volume of a 10 mm is 24 gr and 38 gr for a 44 magnum.

A 10 mm is .40" and a 44 mag is .429". So the .44 mag is only 7% larger in diameter with 58% more case volume. So with a 200 grain bullet, I can pack the 44 with slow ball powder and get some serious velocity while the 10 mm is already full with a stout pistol load.

Which is why I like the auto pistol cartridges in sbr's but nothing over about 8.5" . But a 44 or 357 mag makse a fine deer lever action carbean.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:40 PM   #24
Deaf Smith

Does anyone here realize the FBI uses the MP-5 submachinegun in 10mm? It is also a blowback and they have zero problems.

Just again wish HP would use Glock mags!!!

Deaf
Old October 30, 2017, 05:55 PM   #25
ttarp

Quote:
much beefier than the original as far as materials, and obviously not cheap.
Beefier how? To my knowledge they build the same designs as Hk did, and don't have any arcane methods of imbuing strength that Hk didn't.

Its worth keeping in mind, the MP5's delayed blowback is significantly different than a simple blowback, more durable and pleasant shooting, and capable of handling larger calibers. And much, much more expensive.