The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 18, 2013, 08:05 PM   #101
cookie5

My kids started shooting at an age where I had to hold the gun and they pulled the trigger and now they are adult shooters that handle a gun safely! what is your young one going to hunt? Probably some lesser recoiling cartridge. They grow up fast! Good job Dad!
Old August 18, 2013, 11:13 PM   #102
JD0x0

Also remember that most of these cartridges offer "reduced recoil" loads. You're obviously going to sacrifice velocity/energy and trajectory, but there will be less recoil. I still think the .270, in a decent weight rifle (8-10lbs w/ optics) wouldn't be too much for a 13 year old but everyone is different.
The .270 has about 13.8 ft/lbs of recoil with a 130 grain load in an 8lb rifle. And 11ft/lbs in a 10lb rifle. That is fairly mild. It's no 22LR but it's also not going to knock a small person's socks off.
Old December 12, 2013, 11:04 PM   #103
hogheaven

What is a good, cheap first hunting rifle for a 13 year old?

I would go with a remington 700 over any of the brands you listed. A remington 700 adl can be had with a cheap scope as a combo for around 400 new. There is so many upgrades and extras made for remington actions. Also as far as caliber goes you should go with .243 it is plenty to do what you are talking about especially with the ammo available today. The ballistic silver tips made by Winchester are probably the nastiest factory round at a reasonable price..if you just have to go more expensive HSM loads Berger bullets at howling velocities...242 is super fun to shoot but plenty to kill just about any species you will encounter in the northeast.
Old December 12, 2013, 11:53 PM   #104
Devdev08

I'm 15 and looking to buy my first hunting rifle here soon thinking of a savage 11 trophy hunter xp in .270 but not firm on the caliber yet now as long as I can convince my mom I should be fine already mad I have a mosin nagant
Old December 13, 2013, 01:44 AM   #105
Kimbercommander

I am coming into this alittle late and have not been able to read all the posts yet however I would like to think most kids would benefit as a shooter in general if they start out with a single shot. Makes them concentrate a bit harder on that first shot seems like to me. The NE handi rifle is a great first weapon. Plus the benefit of being able to buy other barrels and just swap them out. All the handi rifles I have ever had a chance to shoot were more then accurate enough for hunting out to 500 yards or so. ( Im saying the weapon is capable not always the shooter). You can get one for under 300 bucks most of the time atleast around where I live. And they are chambered for most all the popular chamberings. As far as what to hunt with that depends on what you are hunting. The .270 is just about a perfect north american big game weapon. However I know that this round isnt quite as good as a beginner weapon. I know I dont feel recoil when I am hunting and about to dispatch my animal. However I do believe that for every shot to be taken in the field 1000 should procede it to prepare for the moment. All three of the rounds you have listed are more then capable on large deer and some may even believe a .243 is good for elk. But most will agree its where you shoot them more then what you shoo them with. Good luck, shoot well and kill quick.
Old December 13, 2013, 08:49 AM   #106
kutz

Ruger American
Old December 14, 2013, 02:22 PM   #107
tahunua001

this thread is several months old, somehow I think that any further information given will no longer be monitored by the party which made the initial inquiry.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:24 PM   #108
albordeau

first deer rifle for 13 year old

I would recommend a Savage Hog Hunter 308. .308 is fine for all gun needs and surplus 7.62 Nato ammo makes inexpensive practice ammo.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:50 AM   #109
HiBC

One other option.

The one thing you would need is someone with experience and a good eye.

There are a lot of overpriced junk used guns in racks of pawn shops and at gunshows,etc.

But it is also quite true that among the community of shooters there are a lot of men getting long in the tooth,they have more than one safe full of good,solid guns.They do not own the junk on the pawn shop shelves.They own good guns,well cared for.

Some of those guys have daughters married to crack heads,or pot head sons who ,due to their use of marijuana,are "prohibited persons",etc.

There are a lot of men with 27 long guns,24 of them have not been fired in 5 years.

They are 60 some years old,and one of their nightmares is dieing and having all the guns go to pawn shops to pay for bad habits(No,I do not have this problem)

I'm thinking if you show yourself as a sane,mature young gentleman and get to know some older gentlemen..with your folks help,maybe join a 22 smallbore group if you can,you might find an old guy dragging something out of his safe for you.

Hidden away are a lot of well crafted,safe and sound 7x57 mauser,6.5x55 mauser,Rem 721,rem700,Win 70's,Mark 10'sSanta Barbaras,Rifles like JC Higgins built on commercial mausers Harrington Richardsons,Rem 788's,do not turn up your nose at a Savage 99 in 300 Savage.Husquvarnas...
IMO,I'd rather choose from these than newer econo guns.A lot of them might have a decent k-4 Weaver on them.In the 60's and 70's a lot of men spent a month's pay on a '98 mauser,having the bolt bent,scope mounted,restocked,Douglas barreled,etc.These guys won't sell that rifle to a pawn shop because it means something to them...but they know market is not over $300.

If the same knowledgable gentleman helps you,you might get a $75 or $100 deal on a used Leupold 2.5X,.3X,0r 4x scope on ebay.Lifetime guarantee still applies,no problem.

even some of the cut down military stock econo-sporter jobs are a sound hunting rifle for a young man.

I killed my antelope quite dead this year at 297 yds using an old Lyman Alaskan 2.5 x.Its on a 1903A4 Springfield copy I made that I shot 3 consecutive 3 shot groups that went 2 1/2 in at 300 yds.Then prone,sling,cheating on a sandbag I put 3 into 3 1/2 in at 350 yds.I'm old,stiff,blind,and a bad shot.They quit making that scope about 1954.

For $75,you can get a Denver made Redfield,a Lyman All American...Think low,fixed power,quality brand.

The important element in pulling this off has to do with being the sort of grown up responsible,pleasant,trustworthy young man that an older gentleman would want to pass on the tradition of hunting and shooting to.

Alright,I'll tell you a sneaky trick.There is a book"The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark.Get a copy.Carry it around with you as you read it.Read it in the barber shop.Read it in a coffee shop where old men with 3/4 ton pickups drink coffee and talk about rain.

Say "Sir,please,and thank you". Don't touch tools or guns without permission.

Rake some leaves,mow some lawns...and be patient.You see a man with a good looking bird dog or two,offer to pick up poop.

What I am telling you is true.

One more thing that will help,now,remember;it may be your best bet to come up with a firearms mentor.That might be your dad or uncle but it might not be..I do not know you or your family.
As an adult,I would be very selective about the responsibility I take if I help a young man like yourself aquire a firearm.It is your job to develop trust and live up to it.
A good step,actually a mandatory step,go to the Firing Line home page,the one where we sign in.Look up at the top bar,slightly left,you will see "firearm safety".Go there.Make a point of memorizing and understanding Mr Jeff Cooper's four rules of gun safety.Soak that up real good.Be able to say and explain them.
Put them into practice,every time.
It matters to an adult if you first,do not touch without permission.
It matters if you ask the weapon be cleared before it is handed to you,then ask the proper way to check it yourself,and check it.
It matters to an adult if you pay attention to your muzzle,and it matters if you do not.
Before they can feel right about helping you to get a gun,they have to trust that safety is a habit with you.

I think if you can grow that sort of relationship with folks like you read here,your $500 dollars will take care of you.

Last edited by HiBC; January 2, 2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old January 2, 2014, 08:07 AM   #110
ATPBULLETS

Wonder what the OP got...?

Tags
deer , good , hunting , rifle