The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Loupgarou

What revolver is this?

I just read an open thread that identifies a K-frame revolver as a Combat Masterpiece shipped in 1956. The help given to the OT in that thread reminded me that I've never truly identified this K-frame that I bought used some ten years ago at a gun show. The grips are aftermarket of course. The serial number as it appears on the frame is an H topping 8***7 with an additional 7 under the five digit number. I would appreciate any ideas or insight you could share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W .38 Spl. web.jpg (98.4 KB, 112 views)
Old September 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

If it's stainless steel,,,

If it's stainless steel,,,
It's a Model 67.

If it's nickel plated,,,
It's probably a Model 15.

Or it could be a "pre" model 15,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Dragline45

Open the cylinder and on the crane should give you the model number.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Loupgarou

It's nickel plated so it's a model 15. Thanks.

The only numbers on the frame inside the crane are the ones I described in my original post: a letter H atop the five-digit serial number and below that a number 7. The swing out "arm"of the crane has the same five-digit number engraved on it.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

Quote:
The only numbers on the frame inside the crane are the ones I described in my original post:
Since it doesn't say "15" in the crane area,,,
It is a Combat Masterpiece,,,
Not a Model 15.

S&W started using model numbers in 1957,,,
Before that the gun was called the Combat Masterpiece,,,
After that the gun was called the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Loupgarou

Ok. Thanks Aarond. So mine is a Combat Masterpiece pre-model era, and therefore was made prior to 1957.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:18 PM   #7
carguychris

Three minor points...

1. A non-model-numbered K-38 Combat Masterpiece will have either the so-called 5-screw frame or the 4-screw frame. The 5th screw- the first to be phased out- was a large screw at the top of the sideplate next to the hammer. The 4th screw- the second to go- was located under the front of the trigger guard. (Re: the other 3, if you can only see 2 small sideplate screws, that's because the 3rd one is at the rear under the grips.)
  2. The serial number can tell you the build date of a postwar S&W target revolver with a great deal of accuracy. The serial number is located on the butt; you will have to remove the grips to see it.
  3. Speaking of grips, they are aftermarket, and appear to be Hogue Monogrips. The original grips- called "stocks" in S&W-speak- were probably checkered walnut Magna stocks with high top horns, gold S&W medallions, and diamond center escutcheons around the screw holes. The RH panel would have had the numerical portion of the serial number stamped inside it, minus the "K" prefix which this gun would normally have. Magna stocks were hand-fitted to individual guns in this era because the finishing process made the grip frame shape slightly irregular; in the 70s, S&W changed the frame finishing process to eliminate the hand fitment, and stopped numbering stocks to guns. Your gun might have originally had oversize Target stocks, but I understand that these were rarely used on the early-production Combat Masterpiece line; if you have them, they're probably worth as much as (or more than!) the gun.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:24 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The numbers on the crane and the adjacent frame are assembly numbers and have no meaning once the gun is finished.

Jim
Old September 6, 2012, 04:48 PM   #9
KyJim

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, I don't have any of the model number on the crane of my revolvers but I found one. You'll see some numbers on the top row which don't really mean anything to us. The last line says "14-2" which is its model number. The Model 14 in the photo is the blue SW .38 special with adjustable sights. The "-2" indicates it is the second iteration of the revolver after SW started using model numbers. Before then it was known as the K-38 Target Masterpiece. SW continued to use model names like Combat Masterpiece (Model 15), Combat Magnum (Model 19), etc. with some guns for a number of years along with the model number. I usually refer to the model number if a gun has one and the model name if the gun doesn't.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...thumbnail0.jpg
Old September 6, 2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Loupgarou

Thank you all again for your shared knowledge and expertise on these guns.

Due to my lack of knowledge I mistook the assembly numbers for the serial number, KyJim.

Carguychris, the serial number is K 23***6. And it is a five-screw model, large screw next to hammer, fourth one in front of the trigger guard. So it's one of the earliest non-model-numbered.

My photo is old, I no longer have the Hogue grips on it, as I later replaced the original walnut Magna stocks, which are just as you mentioned, down to the diamond pattern checkering.

This is great; now when friends ask me about this gun I'll have an answer. You guys are great. Thanks again.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:24 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
Carguychris, the serial number is K 23***6.
K210,096 – K231,255...1954
K231,256 – K266,154...1955

The 5-screw frame was officially retired in 1955, but IIRC collectors have found that most K frames that letter to 1955 have it.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
Loupgarou

1955... I didn't realize until this thread that my K-frame was quite that old. I thought it was made a few years later. But whoever had before me certainly took good care of it. It looks great, it's accurate, dependable and still a pleasure to shoot.