The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Rapid firing a semi auto shotgun.

Okay am a serious about this question.

Do semi auto shotguns have the same firing rate?

I am thinking mainly about a benelli, remington 1100, mossberg 930.

If you were to take theses shotguns and time how fast you could empty 6 rounds, would the difference be insignificant or noticable?

George Orwell
Old March 2, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

In most cases, and for most humans, the action operates faster than you can pull the trigger.

There are a few extraordinary people who can actually pull the trigger faster then the action can function, but they have names like Ed McGivern and Jerry Miculek.

Some guns like the old Browning A5 seem to operate rather slowly, and some newer guns make a big deal about faster operation, but for the average human, it won't make any difference.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
amd6547

I don't know about the Browning auto 5 "operate rather slowly"...I once watched my shooting bud fire five rounds through my Remington model 11 as fast as he could pull the trigger...all five empties were in the air at the same time, this using 00 buck. It was incredible to see, and all the pellets seemed to hit the target at 25yds. He still hasn't stopped trying to get me to sell it to him.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
6x6pinz

There are a number of manufacturers that claim to be the fastest but how fast is fast? You are the limiting factor along with how accurate you would like to be doing it.

Of my shotguns I don't feel any are faster than my Saiga but it is the only one I can do this with (not my video) I can only do it with the 5 rounders,still have not mastered doing it with my drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7rBPgBKCyE