The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 16, 2020, 05:10 AM   #1
Brit

What makes a house safe?

In this time of Covid-19, mask wearing shopping, we seem to have forgotten the age old statement, ones home is ones castle.
My house is the end home of a block of 5 town houses. Seperated from my next door by a solid concrete block wall, that extends to the roof.
You can enter, and exit via a lift up garage door, or a sliding patio glass door.
All alarmed via a monitored alarm, that on showing an electronic breach, has the Sherrifs Dept. dispatched. The only time this happened, in 15 years, had a knock on the front door within 7 minutes.
If entry had been a real breech, to get to my wife and I, upstairs, would nesitate climbing 14 stairs. And after six of those, heads would be viable!
Sisteen rounds of 9mm 147g Federal HST in a Glock 19 4th gen. pistol awaits.
Two cell phones charging every night.
Max alcohol consumption, ever, two small glasses of red wine, around 5 PM Supper time, ever consumed. So alert Grandad of 84 years behind those night sights, 75 year old wife, would most likly sleep on!
How safe do you feel? In your Castle.
Old July 16, 2020, 07:33 AM   #2
Skippy

......presuming an 84 year old grandpa and his 75 year old wife can get up 14 stairs faster than two or three 18 year olds. Otherwise your plan is about as good as you can do. Whatever the threat, well laid scenario plans tend to fall apart pretty quickly. But we should still make them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 16, 2020, 08:01 AM   #3
TXAZ

Ultimately, if you feel safe in your castle that’s what matters.
There will always be a dedicated attacker who will find a way to get through most any defensive measures.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 16, 2020, 08:45 AM   #4
ghbucky

2 big dogs backed up by an XDM 9mm in the night stand. If I have enough forewarning, there is a 12ga locked and loaded with 00 in the safe.

But the dogs were the cure to car pilfering 11 years ago, and haven't had any problems since.
Old July 16, 2020, 09:28 AM   #5
TBM900

Feelings are irrelevant
And why even mention a gun?
What does that have to do with securing a home?
Guns and alarms are only for AFTER someone attempts or makes entry

(the same applies to carrying a gun BTW - if you have to use it then likely you already failed)

The goal should be to not make your home a target to begin with
And to make it utterly unattractive to a criminal BEFORE they consider entry
Countless “studies” have been done in which the criminals themselves are asked what deters them
The answers most always fall back to making them just move on to an easier target
(again same for personal crimes)

One thing I will say based on my LE background
I will never have an alarm that goes to a 3rd party, including police
There are great inexpensive DIY system that will notify you directly
Then you can make the determination as to what if anything is done
Old July 16, 2020, 11:23 AM   #6
Pahoo

Location, Location, Location

Quote:
How safe do you feel? In your Castle.
On a scale of 0-10, I'd say an 8. WHY ????
1) Location of my State
2) Location of my County
3) Location of my City
4) Location of my Castle
6) Location of my Defenses

Be Safe !!!
Old July 16, 2020, 12:37 PM   #7
CDW4ME

Live in a "good area".
Security system.
Guns and the ability to use them.
Large dogs to serve as deterrent and warning.
GSD and Bullmastiff sleep on our bedroom floor or in den, they move around at night.
Old July 16, 2020, 01:32 PM   #8
Double K

1. Nothing valuable left outside in sight if possible.
2. Motion detector lights.
3.Locked gate and locked security screen doors.
4. Ring front door bell or comparable.
5. Dogs that bark, mine aren't that big but they go berserk when someone is outside let alone inside.
6. Glock 19 with night sights and a 32rd magazine.

Last edited by Double K; July 16, 2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old July 16, 2020, 04:10 PM   #9
stinkeypete

1. I know the names of my neighbors on my block and and behind my house. I know the names of their dogs, too.
2. We all have agreed that if anyone hollers, everyone comes running. We keep an eye out for each if anyone goes on vacation.
3. Big dog with a big woof.
4. Guns locked in safe, ammo separated. My biggest fear would be stupid teenage kids getting in the house and getting their hands on a firearm thus becoming armed idiots.
Old July 16, 2020, 05:48 PM   #10
FireForged

I have very solid entry points and security glazing on the windows that dont already have ornamental iron. I have 2 large dogs and a firearm that is always handy.

Crime can certainly occur anywhere but if someone is going to invade my home, its gonna take a minute. I feel safe but I still keep my eyes open
Old July 16, 2020, 07:59 PM   #11
Mainah

Big dogs were part of my plan for years. I enjoyed the protection that they provided, and the companionship. But my experience was that they required a lot of work, vet bills, and presented civil liability concerns. And I could only count on reliable protection work for 7 or 8 years from a dog that lived for at least 12 years.

I'm not saying that dogs aren't effective. It's just a more complicated solution than I'm seeing described here.
Old July 16, 2020, 08:58 PM   #12
GarandTd

I don't think of my dog as any kind of security solution. He does aid in security, but it's just a bonus.
Old July 16, 2020, 10:35 PM   #13
Henry400

First of all, you have to know we are back here. We're on the back portion of a 12 acre flag lot that sits a quarter mile off the road out in the middle of dairy farm country. You cannot see our home from the road, and cannot even see it until you have driven about 2/3 of the way up the driveway, a tree-lined gravel path that appears just like a pasture access road. By that time, you have already passed the lower gate and trespassing signage.

The house and a little less than 3 acres is fenced in with 4-board and cattle fencing with a remote controlled gate. We do have an alarm system. We do have a large Airedale Terrier. We do have various firearms options close at hand. We also sit in such a manner that we can see pretty much anything that comes around the curve and up to the fence. You either have to crash the fence or climb it. 4-board may be easy to drive through, but not 4-board with 4" grid cattle fencing.

Are we worried? Not really. Anyone coming up to the front door did not come accidentally, and if you were not expected, you can expect trouble. We are not required to retreat, therefore, you probably should unless you are invited in (not likely).
Old July 17, 2020, 02:56 AM   #14
Brit

TBM900.
(the same applies to carrying a gun BTW - if you have to use it then likely you already failed)
I carry a Glock 19 every day. When I sleep, it sits next to me. And I know about threat assesment! Spent 5 years on the doors of Clubs in Liverpool England.
4 of those on the Cavern Club, of Beatles fame. I was stabbed there, twice.
Reference the 14 steps to our bedroom level. That would be forced entrance, then the invaders climbing those nice carpeted stairs, to incombing 147g Federal 9mm rounds.
Loved the many replies to my post! The dog pictures, awsome.
Old July 17, 2020, 09:48 AM   #15
ghbucky

Quote:
I'm not saying that dogs aren't effective. It's just a more complicated solution than I'm seeing described here.
My dogs ages are deliberately spaced. I have 2 'on rotation' if you like. My oldest dog is declining and likely has a year or 2 left. The younger dog is in her prime. We will get a pup after my older dog passes. They both provide immeasurable joy in our lives.

In the pre-covid world, I traveled on a regular basis. My job description is 100% travel. So, the dogs also provides a visible means to show the world that this house has 2 large and noisy protectors.

They are not front line. They are early warning. To any determined attacker, a dog is a speed bump, but at least we will have warning that something is going terribly wrong.
Old July 17, 2020, 10:33 AM   #16
Double K

If your not a dog person than your not and you'll always lack that barrier. To me even small dogs if there alert barkers can be a real asset in home security. I like Rat terriers, Jack Russell's and miniature pinchers, they don't eat much but nothing happens inside or outside at my place without them alerting me anytime of the day. Would I rather have a couple of full size Dobermans absolutely! I just don't want the wear and tear on my floors and the food bills of full size dogs.
Were down to 2 right now but 3-4 is better especially if you have go outside for a night time seek and destroy at 2am!
Anyone ever seen the level of craziness from a pack of 4 Jack Russell's when they're wound up?
Old July 17, 2020, 10:35 AM   #17
7.62 man

My house is safe because I don't flaunt my wealth.
I live in a lower/middle class working people neighborhood you can tell who has money & who doesn't. If you make your house look like you have money or expensive things laying around, your house will get broken into. The guy next door as soon as he moved in started fixing up the place to make it fancy looking & he was driving new trucks. He got broke into almost every week until the neighborhood thieves figured out he was faking having money.
I drive an old beat up looking truck & keep my good car out of sight in the garage. I have yet to be broken into.
I have dusk to dawn lights & motion detector lights where needed. I put a few of the cheap driveway alarms in areas that need monitoring like my detached garage.
If you make your self look like you have money, your are making your self a target.
Old July 17, 2020, 02:45 PM   #18
stinkeypete

7.62Man- you are a man after my own heart. Not that it's not nice to have nice things, but to me a vehicle is perfect when it reaches that stage where it's completely reliable or you know the little faults and exactly how to fix them- but you don't worry about a door ding in the parking lot, scratches from bushes, mud from going hunting or deer blood on the paint... or a ding on the hood from where you lose control of the canoe for a moment...

I impress people with my dog- who is a little pheasant flushing machine even from 18 months old. Now he's two and a half and bird crazy. Gotta work on that this October- he's a bit TOO eager and overchases.
Old July 17, 2020, 03:25 PM   #19
SIGSHR

As an Old Soldier I look at likely avenues of approach, and of retreat, burglaries and B&Es are usually very quick " in and out" operations. And defense in depth, slow them down, wear them out. And as a technosaur I look for low tech rather than high tech solutions. They often require developing careful habits and SOPs, perhaps training other members of the household. Seems to me boards with spikes would make an invader think twice, tripwires to knock them off their feet, a door left ajar with a sandbag or other heavy weight perched on it. Crude, but they embody the KISS principle.
I recall a TV program (yes, I know) in which the good guys dealt with the villain's guard dogs using drugged meat, a hypodermic needle gun in another.
And as noted home defense plans must involve the whole household, perhaps deciding who will be the defenders and who will shelter in place.

Last edited by SIGSHR; July 17, 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old July 17, 2020, 04:07 PM   #20
Double K

This is not my video but it's illustrative of what Rat terriers are like, there just big enough to really raise hell and still be somewhat harmless, 2-4 of them will command the full attention of several strangers without a doubt. I like to hunt deer with a bow, a couple of them can find a wounded or dead deer in a matter of minutes usually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQMVwnkvzc
Old July 17, 2020, 05:00 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR View Post
As an Old Soldier I look at likely avenues of approach, and of retreat, burglaries and B&Es are usually very quick " in and out" operations. And defense in depth, slow them down, wear them out. And as a technosaur I look for low tech rather than high tech solutions. They often require developing careful habits and SOPs, perhaps training other members of the household. Seems to me boards with spikes would make an invader think twice, tripwires to knock them off their feet, a door left ajar with a sandbag or other heavy weight perched on it. Crude, but they embody the KISS principle.
I recall a TV program (yes, I know) in which the good guys dealt with the villain's guard dogs using drugged meat, a hypodermic needle gun in another.
And as noted home defense plans must involve the whole household, perhaps deciding who will be the defenders and who will shelter in place.

I think I’ve seen that first part in a movie too. It’s called Home Alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 18, 2020, 06:51 PM   #22
Mainah

Quote:
I think I’ve seen that first part in a movie too. It’s called Home Alone.
Thanks, now I have to clean beer off my screen from laughing.

Quote:
Seems to me boards with spikes would make an invader think twice, tripwires to knock them off their feet, a door left ajar with a sandbag or other heavy weight perched on it. Crude, but they embody the KISS principle.
Okay, but what if your house catches on fire and first responders have to navigate all of that?
Old July 19, 2020, 05:46 AM   #23
Brit

Setting traps is a sure way of getting yourself in trouble. A small dog, who sleeps all night, unless disturbed is a good extra early warning system.
6 am, not a sound from outside. House closed up tight, great life this retirement!
Old July 19, 2020, 07:10 AM   #24
Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Setting traps is a sure way of getting yourself in trouble. A small dog, who sleeps all night, unless disturbed is a good extra early warning system.
6 am, not a sound from outside. House closed up tight, great life this retirement!
Agree, "boobies traps" are illegal in most jurisdictions. If an innocent party (utility worker, government employee, inspector, appraiser, child, etc) is injured by one, it would be near impossible to avoid conviction.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2020, 07:52 AM   #25
SIGSHR

I was thinking in terms of traps you set up before retiring and take up on rising. I agree too much reliance on traps-technology-creates a false sense of security, a Maginot Line mentality, and nothing takes the place of alertness and mental preparation.