The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2018, 04:38 PM   #1
The Rattler

Stripping Finish Inside Shotgun Forestock

I was looking for a project and bought a 1937 16 gauge Winchester Model 12 shotgun. The wood furniture was quite beat up, and I am refinishing it.

I stripped the buttstock, including the butt end that is covered by the butt plate. I’ve also stripped the exterior of the forestock. I decided to strip the interior of the forestock for the sake of uniformity and to give it protection from moisture. I am having a heck of a time, however, stripping the interior of the forestock.

The impediment is the small size of the opening. I have refinished 2 12 gauge pump shotguns, and while it took longer to do so, I eventually got the interiors of the forends sufficiently stripped to apply new finish. I recall there being larger openings in those 12 gauges than in this 16 gauge. I’ve read that Model 12s are not simply 12 gauges with a 16 gauge chambers. The materials are custom sized for 16 gauges. Hence, the smaller opening for my gun.

To strip, I use Citristrip and brush it off when it’s ready with an Industial Strength scrub pad, gradually working down to a Medium scrub pad, followed by steaming. The problem here is that I can’t scrub the interior of the foreend using a scrub pad and my finger for pressure. The opening isn’t big enough to get my finger inside far enough. Instead, I’ve used the small end of a nylon gun cleaning brush with a handle. I’m not getting enough pressure on the scrub pad.

I don’t know what Finish was originally used on the forestock interior, but it is black, maybe even a paint. Whatever was used it is different from the finish on the exterior. The same black finish was used on the butt end, but at that location there was nothing obstructing my hand from applying pressure to the scrub pad. The butt end was more difficult to strip than the finish on the exposed part of the wood, but I got enough off to be comfortable applying new finish to it. That isn’t the case for the interior of the forend.

I have the same problem on the other end of the buttstock that is inserted into the receiver. It has the same black finish, but I’m afraid of applying enough pressure to remove it for fear of damage that could prevent a proper fit of the stock back into the receiver.

I will very much appreciate any ideas about what I should do.

Thanks.

Last edited by The Rattler; September 10, 2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 11, 2018, 11:54 PM   #2
Scorch

Go down to Harbor Freight, they sell a big bag of different size tubing brushes. I have used the brushes for various cleaning jobs, but never stripping, but see no reason they wont work.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:26 PM   #3
The Rattler

Thanks, I’ll do that.

I appreciate the response.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:47 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Dip it. Use a foil roasting pan then rinse in plain water(I'd be think garden hose). Use a toothbrush if any brushing is required.
DO NOT DUMP THE RESULTING SLUGE DOWN A DRAIN!
Old September 12, 2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Don Fischer

I wouldn't bother refinishing those part's. I'd just blow some new finish in there in case there's a bare spot of wood. Who's gonna see it?
Old September 15, 2018, 09:53 AM   #6
The Rattler

Thank you for all of these replies.
Old September 15, 2018, 11:19 AM   #7
tangolima

When stripping finish with paint stripper, you don't need to press down and scrub. It is not sanding. Instead the chemicals should do the work for you. You just need to scrape the residue off the wood.

Plastic is no good for that task. The stripper melts it. Wood or strong card board works best for me. In your case, a wood dowel of proper diameter may work.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk