The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2018, 01:45 PM   #51
RC20

Quote:
Just drilling barrels makes holes that are often not perfectly straight. All barrel manufacturers seem to have barrel straighteners on duty.
My understanding is the bulk makers (Savage) do straighten barrel.

I don't believe the good custom barrel makers do (maybe the real low cost ones on EABCO, forget the name)

Each process has its good and bad points.
Old March 9, 2018, 09:56 PM   #52
Unclenick
Staff

I once bought a Shilen barrel that was part of Brownells standard contour barrels. I shortened it for an early try at a Scout rifle and immediately noticed the bore wasn't concentric with the outside. So, I called Shilen, and they apologized and fixed it by recontouring. But the original contour had no runout, so it hadn't been straightened.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 11, 2018, 02:09 PM   #53
Yosemite Steve

I think I'll keep the barrel I have.

100yds.

The left side is the first three shots fired from a fresh barrel.

The right side is the second three shots fired 10 minutes later.

They were 180 SST's with half grain shy of max load of Superformance. I have been sitting on these rounds since just after hunting season. I still have another 30 rounds left. I did not mess with turning the cases to put the bevel in the same spot. Just fired them. I am just going to stop farting around with this gun. I have the ammo I need to purchase meat from the wild for a few years.

I really appreciate all of the advice and valuable knowledge I have gained this winter. I have some loads to play with for my Win 94 and aside from that will be hanging it up for a while. Spring is here and I have much to do with work and my family. You all are great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180311_123707.jpg (107.3 KB, 175 views)
Old March 11, 2018, 06:46 PM   #54
JeepHammer

Can't complain about that right side group!
Old March 11, 2018, 07:10 PM   #55
Yosemite Steve

Even the left side is barely over an inch. Overlap them and 5 are inside an inch.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:19 PM   #56
RC20

Right side is very nice.

Left side is more than good for hunting!
Old March 11, 2018, 07:25 PM   #57
Unclenick
Staff

It wouldn't surprise me if the upper right hole in the first target was from the cold, unfouled barrel. I always find it useful to do a ten shot break-in, clening and cooling completely between each shot so that I know where my cold, clean barrel zero is and can compare it to where subsequnt shots fall, just in case I find myself in a situation where the difference matters.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:57 PM   #58
Yosemite Steve

That was shot #2. #1 was on the horizontal line and #3 was just above it. I suspect that the flyer was a bad trigger pull.

I have found that almost every first shot has been right on the bullseye. It doesn't seem to matter what bullet.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:19 PM   #59
JeepHammer

In the military (a long time ago) we would shoot, fouled barrels, let the rifle cool, return optics to base zero and fire to check, then clean.

Before we went into the field we fired fouling shots and checked zero again.
The first 1 to 5 shots never quite hit the x mark.
Some were wild, some were close but not quite...

I understand that some police clean & shoot, clean and shoot so they are always on zero with a clean, oiled bore.
I have to assume this is because they store rifles, then have no time to foul before they might have to take a life & death shot.

On the range it's 3-5 warm up (fouling) shots before the real shooting begins...
With arthritis shooting the boomers sometimes has me flinching before we get to the real shooting, so I perfer the lesser recoil rifles.
Getting old isn't for sissies!
Old March 13, 2018, 10:14 AM   #60
RC20

Key is, know your barrel and how to set it up for whatever the use.

Of my target rifles, one shoots spot on no matter what, it does shift a bit as it gets more fouled but not dramatically and you can see it moving and adjust.

The other 2 a fouling shot but often I don't as even the first one is pretty close and if its off and the other 4 are on, I call it good (or shoot a 6th)

I shoot higher recoil guns (308, 30-06 and my beloved 7.5 Swiss)

Fortunately the shoulder is good even if the hands hurt a lot more these days.

When I go shooting, its for a full day most times, so upwards of 8 hours at the range.

By the end of that, if the loads are hotter I have to force myself not to clinch up. Not a flinch but not conducive to good shooting.

I have good butt pads now and can compensate by shooting the lower velocity round late in the day.
Old March 13, 2018, 11:00 AM   #61
JeepHammer

With broken in barrels, mine didn't take many shots, but I have that ONE rifle that takes several...
If you own enough rifles, you will find that ONE barrel!

I got a shoulder/neck busted up pretty bad in the military in my mid 30s, I rebounded pretty good from that, but loosing muscle mass as I age has compounded issues along with arthritis.
The doctors told me it was coming, I just figured I would do like I always do and power through it.
I was wrong.
I went from being told I'd be in a wheelchair to walking without cane or crutches most times, I chopped wood, dug fence post holes, put up hay, built buildings...
I figured it was mind over matter... Matter caught up with me!
Old October 15, 2018, 01:09 PM   #62
Yosemite Steve

After all the fuss with this gun last winter I learned quite a lot. This particular gun has some pitting and copper fouls rapidly. After 1 fouling shot it seems to really hold it's group (.5 to 1.5 MOA) for the next 15-20 shots then declines. Last weekend I took my hunting guns out to see how they are firing. My freshly cleaned Savage was shot once to foul it. The second shot was at a 2 lb. tannerite container at 400yds. I did not shoot a third shot.
Old October 15, 2018, 01:48 PM   #63
RC20

That is what counts is finding what works and then you are good.

JH: I wound up with ruptured disk and one bulged. The Doc said if I behave myself, ok, if not.......

Fortunately I am old enough to have listened. Doing ok, never back to what it was but I recently ran into a project that took a lot of upper body and no lifting or bending. Having a lot of fun with it.
Old October 15, 2018, 06:54 PM   #64
Mobuck

Quote:
Kind of short for .30-06
Probably 90% of the 30/06 factory barrels sold in the last 50 years are 22".
Old October 16, 2018, 07:01 AM   #65
Unclenick
Staff

Yosemite Steve,

I've had a couple of barrels like that, one Savage, one GI. I solved it in both instances with firelapping. It takes some courage to put the first abrasive bullets down the tube, but once you've done it a couple of times it ceases to be intimidating and you appreciate how much harder the gun is to foul and how much easier it is to clean. My GI barrel (on a Garand) wasn't quite as bad as yours. Accuracy deterioration took about 35-40 rounds to get bad. As Murphy's Law has it, that's right in the middle of the 600-yard prone slow fire phase of the National Match Course. It also took about four hours of patch after patch of Sweet's 7.62 (the strongest copper remover available in the 80's, though the modern chelating copper removers are much better) to get blue patches to stop coming out. After firelapping I could shoot regular High Power matches of 80 rounds plus sighters with no accuracy loss and cleaning afterward was a breeze. I used the NECO system. It'll take sharp edges off rust pits, too.
Old October 28, 2018, 11:57 AM   #66
Yosemite Steve

Unclenick, I might play with that post hunting season. Right now though, I seem to have it right where I want it and don't want to open a new can of worms. Hitting a 4 x 6 target at 400 yards on the first attempt was very rewarding. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten on this site from you and from a long telephone conversation with a local legend, Doug Wells. If you don't know him already, you should!
Old October 28, 2018, 05:49 PM   #67
RC20

Agreed, done' mess with success. To many fiddle and ........

My aftermarket barrels are good for no more than one shot to get lined in.

One does not care cold or hot, puts em all the same place.

Barrels are the most interesting and least understood aspect of guns, despite its really what a rifle is all about.