The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 24, 2018, 01:48 PM   #1
DaleA

No Constitutional Carry for Oklahoma-Governor Veto

I was cheered up by a post a few weeks ago that even in this difficult climate something like 'Constitutional Carry' in Oklahoma was receiving support.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595338

That post was made after the OK House passed the bill. It still had to be passed by the OK Senate and signed by the OK Governor.

Well their House passed it 59-28, their Senate passed it 33-9 and then their Governor, Republican Mary Fallin vetoed it.

So no 'Constitutional Carry' for you Sooners.

Personally I am stilled a little bit cheered to see some evidence that it isn't all anti-gun out there. The bill, after all, did get fairly robust Senate and House support.

The story is here:
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...=4461526240457
Old May 24, 2018, 04:56 PM   #2
mehavey

Quote:
House passed it 59-28, their Senate passed it 33-9
Unless somone tells me different, that's on override majority on re-vote
Old May 25, 2018, 10:38 AM   #3
thallub

Quote:
Indeed it is an over-ride majority. But barring a miracle there won't be an over-ride attempt.

1. The OK housed passed Constitutional carry on April, 23, 2018.

2. The OK senate passed Constitutional carry on May 2, 2018.

3. The OK legislature adjourned on May 3, 2018.

4. The OK governor vetoed Constitutional carry on May 11, 2018.

Republicans in the OK legislature have played games with Constitutional carry for over seven years.

1. Fact is they don't want to fire the 60 employees in the OSBI who handle concealed carry permits.

2. They don't want to lose the permit fees.

3. The head of the OSBI is Backdraft Bob Ricks: Ricks is opposed to Constitutional carry.

Recently talked with our house member. There is a chance the legislature will reconvene when/if the medical pot vote passes in June. If that happens there is a small chance of an over-ride attempt then.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Oklahoma needs 60 people just to handle carry permits? I'm absolutely certain that my state's firearms unit at the state police doesn't have half that many people assigned to it, and they handle a LOT more than just carry permits.

Citizens of Oklahoma should be outraged that constitutional carry is being held hostage by 60 employees who probably aren't even needed.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:18 AM   #5
gshayd

Back in the day in Texas after the citizens voted to have Concealed Handgun License the governor decided that the citizens were not responsible enough for concealed carry and said "She wouldn't mind so much, she said if these trained shooters were required to hook their pistols to chains around their necks. That way, others could say, "Look out, that one's got a gun!" She wasn't just parting company with the people who disagreed with her. She ridiculed them." When she came up for election she got kicked to the curb and ended up doing Doritos Commercials. Oklahomans ought to kick this lady to the curb or if recall exists in Oklahoma do that.
Old May 29, 2018, 05:58 AM   #6
RETG

I would guess the state will issue close to 90 percent of the permits they currently issue.

I know from talking with the local sheriff, the number of permits issued by the local county sheriff here in Teton County, Idaho remained almost the same after Idaho passed the so-called funky constitutional carry law a few years ago. (I say funky cause to carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle still requires a permit...go figure.)

People still want to travel to other states with their handguns, especially to neighboring states, and where I live, I can almost throw a rock into WY. And to do so, they need a permit. Wyoming's permitless carry law is the same as Idaho, you must be a citizen of the state.

I would be curious as to how permits issuance in other permitless carry states are after the permitless carry was enacted.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG
People still want to travel to other states with their handguns, especially to neighboring states, and where I live, I can almost throw a rock into WY. And to do so, they need a permit. Wyoming's permitless carry law is the same as Idaho, you must be a citizen of the state.
Not just neighboring states, either. My idiot state doesn't recognize any other states' permits, and even so once I get past a couple of adjacent states I can drive almost coast-to-coast on my home state permit. I think all the states that have gone to permitless carry have retained their permitting system for this reason. I wonder if there are statistics available for whether or not numbers of permits issued dropped significantly after they went permitless.

There are other nuances, too. IIRC, Maine went permitless a year or two ago but they require a Maine permit to carry in state parks and (by extension) in Acadia National Park. In fact, I haven't been to Maine for well over a decade, but I recently obtained a Maine permit just because I'd like to go back to Acadia one of these days.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:09 PM   #8
RETG

Yes, some of the permitless states do allow more freedom to carry into some locations with a permit vs. without. I believe AZ has some restrictions on permitless carry that does not apply to a permit holder; and many in ID do not realize that although, a resident over 21 can carry concealed while walking down the street, they cannot get into their vehicle and carry concealed. It's really a stupid restriction, but it is there.

Besides, you do need a state issued permit to be legal in a GFSZ in your state.

As for actual stats from the state in regard to issuance of permits before/after the permitless carry was passed would be interesting. The sheriff I know says it is basically the same.

I know some people, myself included, get a permit to avoid NICS checks when purchasing firearms and it is so darn easy; especially for someone like me.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.

Last edited by RETG; May 29, 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:42 PM   #9
TDL

Quote:
Well their House passed it 59-28, their Senate passed it 33-9 and then their Governor, Republican Mary Fallin vetoed it.
Quote:
Looking at my handbook, they'd need 68 in their house. The other pro second amendment bill she vetoed was voted initially at 92-1 and veto overturned 86-3. so it started with veto proof majority and lost some support. The one on carry started out without a veto proof majority and is almost certainly would get less not more on a revote.