The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
BoogieMan

9mm Largo

I inherited a Llama Extra 1911 clone in 9mm Largo. Its a relatively hard round to come by and the only rounds I have found are old merc primed cartridges.
Anyone know where or who may have modern rounds available? This is the only gun I have that is chambered for this round and although the gun looks good it is the victim of a very poor refinish job that has left the gun very loose. So its not worth it to invest to much into ammo.
A little infor I found on the firearm: http://www.9mmlargo.com/extra/index.htm
Old April 4, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
MacGyver

I've heard of this round but never actually seen one. Don't know that I've ever physically laid eyes on a pistol chambered for it. This website has it for sale, although it is 60's production ammo and so it is corrosive.

http://www.longmountain.com/ammunition/9mm-largo/

Another option that seems available is to load your own. Starline has new brass available on their website.

Other than possibly getting lucky at finding a few boxes at a gun show those are probably your best options.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
lee n. field

Yep, I think you're going to be learning about handloading.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 4, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
gyvel

CCI was offering a Blazer load for Largo a few years back. You might find some NOS if you look around.

A word of caution: DO NOT try to chamber and fire Winchester 9x23 rounds in your gun if they should by some misfortune chamber. They are way too powerful.

Quote:
I've heard of this round but never actually seen one. Don't know that I've ever physically laid eyes on a pistol chambered for it.
The Astra 400, and many Llama and Star pistols are chambered for it, as well as the original Bergmann-Bayard military pistol for which it was initially developed.

Last edited by gyvel; April 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
Yep, I think you're going to be learning about handloading.
Handloading shouldn't be a difficult proposition; Brass is easily made from .38 ACP, or you can trim the Winchester 9x23 brass back to make Largo rounds.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
EdInk

My LGS has some 9mm Largo ammo but it's just old loose stuff. I don't know where you will find new production ammo for it. Hornady will occassionally do runs of oddball and/or antiquated calibers but I don't recall ever seeing any 9mm Largo from them. Your best bet is probably an Internet search.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #7
gyvel

I think it was Federal Ordnance a few years back that was selling 9mm Luger stainless conversion barrels for a lot of the Spanish guns. Unfortunately they went out of business, but the barrels still turn up occasionally on eBay or Gunbroker, e.g., and generally they function OK.

I have a couple real old Star Model 1921s that I got 9mmP barrels for and they feed and function just fine, even out of the old longer magazines.
Old April 4, 2012, 11:20 AM   #8
BoogieMan

Thanks guys some great suggestions. I will search for the CCI. I havent been able to hit a gun show in some time. Never seen one in Jersey and everytime in in NC its the week after or before one of the shows. Missed the PA show last year.
The gun only has sentamental value it wont make an 8" group at 15yds. Very sloppy.
The largo loads I have are from the 40's and seem to be fairly hot loads, I will sometimes get a pinhoal through the brass just above the groove. Maybe 1 out of 10 shots.