The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
drklude

Lead Bullet Question

I just got a box of .358 LSWC from Missouri Bullet Company. Up until now I had been loading only plated bullets. I adjusted the depth for the LSWC, but noticed that the seating die was scraping lead off the sides of the bullets. Nothing major, just a slight shaving.

I tried putting slightly more bell in the case mouth to give the bullet more space to seat, and that seemed to solve the issue. After a run through the crimp everything seems back to normal.

I just wanted to double check that this all makes sense. I didn't have any issues with the plated bullets, and I thought the .358 LSWC being a thousandth bigger might have been the cause.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2013, 10:20 AM   #2
TATER

Your thought process is linear and rational
You increased the bell so you knew it was not the seating die, it was the case its self ..I think you mis-typed.

Last edited by TATER; May 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. Lead is a lot softer than copper and scrapes off more easily. However, take a magnifying glass and look at the case mouths of ammo loaded with jacketed bullets, even commercial ammo, and it's not uncommon to see a thin ring of shaved copper there. To avoid the problem completely you need to bell cases adequately and to burnish the wire edge left by your chamfer tool. It was pointed out to me, I think maybe by Bart B, that a broken screw extractor (e.g., an E-Z Out), with its left hand spiral, can be spun clockwise in a bore with a drill to do the burnishing. Since this doesn't stress the screw extractor significantly, the cheapest ones you can find are good enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 15, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
drklude

Sounds good. I figured I was heading down the right road, but I wanted to check with people who have infinitely more experience than myself.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
check with people who have infinitely more experience than myself....
That greater "experience" is simply (and directly) correlatable to greater number of mistakes.
Old May 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Quote:
check with people who have infinitely more experience than myself....

That greater "experience" is simply (and directly) correlatable to greater number of mistakes.
There's a WHOLE LOT of truth in that right there.....^^^
Old May 18, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
drklude

Haha can't argue with that, I've already made a few mistakes myself, nothing serious, but I'm glad to help others avoid them if possible.