The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 1, 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
TJHell

USC To UMP

I'm thinking bout' doing a HK USC to UMP conversion and was wondering some simple questions about it?

1. How hard is it to get all the parts, and what parts do I need?

2. What would be an average ballpark cost of this conversion?

3. Could i do this myself? (I have very little gunsmith experience, but do have some technical know-how)What tools would i need?

4. Does anybody recommend any particular brand or place to get all these parts from?

5. How difficult would it be to get this to turn this into an SBR?(Is it even Legally Possible?)
Old September 1, 2008, 02:04 PM   #2
RsqVet

It is possible but I'd not try one myself as there are more than a few minor details that can get annoying when it comes to fitting it all together, esp if you are not an HK armorer and don't have tons of extra bits and pices sitting around.

A quick and easy google search will get you much information on this and places that can / have done this.

As to SBR, that is possible IF SUCH weapons are allowed in your state. Best place to find this out would be the NFA forum here or locally look around and see if you have any Class III FFL's around in your state, these guys would know. A class III dealer is a dealer who can sell NFA wepons (SBR's, machine guns, silencers et. al.)

If allowed the procedure is you do all your paperwork with the ATF and get your approval BEFORE you modify the gun into a SBR configuration.

On an imported weapon going the SBR route has the advantage that you remove the need for 922 parts compliance. If you do not go SBR you must consider 922 as your weapon is still "sporting" and you need to comply with the parts count to keep it legal as it's imported after the ban.

Again google is your friend to get more info on all of these issues; and don't be confused much of it is clear as mud.

Tags
conversion , ump , usc