The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 27, 2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Jiggy300

Conceal carry South Dakota.

Making a family trip to a couple places and have a question about carrying at places like Mount Rushmore. Is it legal? The info I have found is spotty but say yes in national and state parks. Just wondering if somebody from SD has some info.
Old June 27, 2017, 08:53 PM   #2
shootbrownelk

I was wondering the same thing....I have a Wyoming CC permit. Is it good in South Dakota.
Old June 27, 2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Jiggy300

Wyoming is good in SD, I have a Colorado permit.
Old June 28, 2017, 02:34 PM   #4
raimius

Handgunlaw.us is a great resource for info on these kinds of questions. I highly recommend it;
Old June 28, 2017, 03:02 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy300
The info I have found is spotty but say yes in national and state parks.
In national parks, carry is allowed in the park generally, but is prohibited in "federal facilities," i.e. most buildings. Additionally, local state laws regarding no-go areas apply, and park-operated vehicles may also be off-limits. More info here.

Carry in state parks is strictly a matter of state law. Check the website Raimius posted.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Jiggy300

I looked at both sites and my understanding is I'm good to carry. Next question is that when I'm at Rushmore I am fine but what if I go into the gift shop, is that considered a federal building?
Old June 28, 2017, 05:45 PM   #7
Gary Slider

The buildings must be posted. If it doesn't have signs you can enter it. Not all buildings in the National Parks are owned by the feds. Been in 10 or more National Parks in the 3 last years and never had any problems seeing the buildings that were posted. The signs were very prominent and at every entrance. I have not seen one in an outside area but have heard that some parks posts areas in the outdoors where Rangers will give talks to visitors. Again if they do that it has to be posted.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old June 28, 2017, 06:20 PM   #8
FITASC

The Federal buildings will definitely be marked on the door. Those run by concessionaires may or may not be - the building might be Federal and the vendor subleasing space
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 29, 2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The applicable federal law is 18 U.S. Code § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities.

First, note that it says "in," not "at" or "near" or "in proximity to."

Then note that the law defines what "facility" means:

Quote:
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
I wouldn't knowingly push the point, but in general the souvenir shops are run by private concessionaires, so the employees are not federal employees. Therefore, even though the building may be owned by the federal government and leased by the concessionaire, it shouldn't fall under the purview of the law. A park office or ranger station, on the other hand, is manned by federal employees and would fall under the law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/930