The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 23, 2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Wendyj

New Marlins

Local gun store has the new Marlin 45 colt and 44 mag on sale for $459.00 plus a $75.00 rebate. I've got one of the new 336 that looks parkerized and needs to be refinished with a good bluing. Haven't shot it yet so will wait on cosmetics. The 45 and 44 are blued. Stocks fit up nice. Any issues with the 45 if anyone has one. Would fit in my scabbard and go with my vaquero since I reload for it. Stock seems a tad short on the 45. That extra 1/2 of rubber on the 44 makes lop just perfect.
Old June 23, 2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Dranrab

That's a great price!
Old June 23, 2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Wendyj

Yeah it is and I sure want the 45 colt before they sell out. Looks like the 44 is selling quicker but I'm partial to the 45
Old June 23, 2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Targa

I would have to give one a go at that price.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Time to buy if someone is procrastinating.

You can bump up a 45 Colt to near a 44 Mags speed.

I to like the Colt cartridge better.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Wendyj

I really like the 45. I load mellow for the vaquero but have run some hot Ruger only loads through husbands blackhawk. Not sure what the Marlin can handle as far as reloads.
Old June 23, 2017, 07:50 PM   #7
hammie

You're more knowledgeable than I am, and it would be presumptuous for me to offer advice. It sounds like you already have your answer if you like the .45 colt, want a companion piece for your vaquero, and are set up for reloading the .45 colt.

However, I've always had a question, which is relevant to your thread. In a rifle, would hot loads, the colt's tiny rim, and thin brass be more likely to cause extraction problems? If I correctly recall, the .45 scholfield's rim was made larger to forestall potential extraction problems in the scholfield revolver. With the .44 magnum/.44 special, you would be less likely to have extraction problems. I have had extraction problems with the .45 colt in double action revolvers, but everyone says it is my poor technique (and they're probably right). Hopefully, someone using the .45 colt in a rifle, can share their experience. Maybe it's not a problem. It's something I've always wondered about.
Old June 23, 2017, 08:27 PM   #8
ThomasT

hammie I can't help on the rim part but years ago Brian Pearce sectioned 44 mag and 45 colt brass and the 45 brass was just as thick as the 44 brass. So it should be a non issue.

And if you are ejecting your brass from a revolver with the barrel pointed down you are asking for the case to jump the extractor. I have had it happen with 38 specials when i first started shooting before I learned to point the barrel up when kicking out empties.
Old June 23, 2017, 09:59 PM   #9
hammie

@ratshooter: Yes, I know..., but sometimes I get careless and tilt the gun. I know it's me, but with the .45 colt length and the thin rim, I still have a case infrequently jump the star. But again, I'll claim the fault. In any case, I now only shoot .45 colt from single actions.

I wasn't worried too much about the case heads, but instead, I was wondering if there would be much difference in "spring-back" between the .45 colt and .44 magnum with hot loads (and consequently harder extraction). I'd just like to hear from someone who shoots .45 colt from a lever action and see if they've ever had extraction problems. I'm probably obsessing over a non-issue.

WendyJ likes the .45 colt and is already set up for it, and so I think the colt would be the best choice for her. However, if I were starting with a clean sheet of paper, I'd look for a ruger vaquero or flat top in .44 special, and get the .44 magnum marlin.
Old June 24, 2017, 04:07 PM   #10
DaleA

I've always been against getting a rifle in a 'pistol' caliber because you'd be carrying a RIFLE yet you wouldn't be getting RIFLE performance out of it...

And then you mention a Marlin lever action in .45 Colt to go with your Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt and my inner cowboy came out and said 'Boy, that would be way cool!!!'

I'd say go ahead and get the Marlin in .45 Colt and if it doesn't work out for you, heck they'll be a ton of folk that would take it off your hands for what you paid for it. (Maybe even me if you catch me at a weak moment.)

Quote:
Brian Pearce sectioned 44 mag and 45 colt brass and the 45 brass was just as thick as the 44 brass. So it should be a non issue.
As far as brass goes perhaps some folk are remembering the older 'balloon head' .45 Colt brass. 'Balloon head' brass would be weaker than modern brass but I don't know when they quit making it. This reference says they were still making it in 1954. Please note I am not an authority on this subject. There are many here on the site that can provide REAL information on this subject.

https://www.google.com/search?q=45+c...=1498338066543
Old June 24, 2017, 05:13 PM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
In a rifle, would hot loads, the colt's tiny rim, and thin brass be more likely to cause extraction problems?
Quote:
hammie I can't help on the rim part but years ago Brian Pearce sectioned 44 mag and 45 colt brass and the 45 brass was just as thick as the 44 brass. So it should be a non issue.
From what I've read (not experienced), it's the "tiny rim", not the thickness of the brass per se, that causes extraction problems in some rifles chambered in .45 Colt.
Old June 24, 2017, 06:35 PM   #12
ThomasT

You may get better feedback on the 45 Colt in a lever gun if you looked around on the marlin owners forum. Check the subheading on 1894 guns. Here ya go.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/

I am on there a lot and don't remember seeing any negative reports on the 45 colt guns.
Old July 2, 2017, 07:30 PM   #13
northernlead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyj View Post
Local gun store has the new Marlin 45 colt and 44 mag on sale for $459.00 plus a $75.00 rebate. I've got one of the new 336 that looks parkerized and needs to be refinished with a good bluing. Haven't shot it yet so will wait on cosmetics. The 45 and 44 are blued. Stocks fit up nice. Any issues with the 45 if anyone has one. Would fit in my scabbard and go with my vaquero since I reload for it. Stock seems a tad short on the 45. That extra 1/2 of rubber on the 44 makes lop just perfect.
Just bought a marlin 1894,paid 650.You got a heck of a deal.
Old July 3, 2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Wendyj

What caliber did you get