The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2020, 10:01 PM   #1
markr6754

135gr 40S&W Frangible Bullets - First Shots

First ladder test shots:

Okay, so I checked out all of the load data I could find for Sinterfire bullets. The two 40 S&W bullets with load data are 105gr and 125gr...nothing for 135gr. The data lists Universal w/125gr Sinterfire bullets, starting 4.7gr and up to 5.3gr. COL of 1.125”

I started my loads at 4.3gr, and 1.140” COL, loading 10 rds and moving up 0.1gr increments to finish at 4.6gr, just under the starting load for the 125gr Sinterfire. However, this is a really long bullet, and seating to 1.125” puts the ogive below the case mouth. I loaded to keep the smallest bit of bearing surface to the case mouth. Pulling these rounds apart can only be done with an impact bullet puller as there is no surface for a cam lock puller to grab. Still, I had 40 rounds loaded for this trial.

The chamber of my SA EMP lets me load these bullets out to 1.155” if needed, and still cycle flawlessly (dummy rounds), so I knew that 1.140” would be fine. But it really wasn’t, at least not at these charges.
No chrony, so I’m loading for accuracy and cycling, not velocity.

4.3gr - SA EMP doesn’t cycle, most cases fail to exit the firearm. Softer than a mouse fart. I had to manually eject the 1st round, and numerous whole, unburned kernels of Universal fell of the case.

4.4gr - Slight increase in slide action, a few cases ejected, and a few chambered the next round...still feeling mouse farts.

4.5gr - Some rounds fully cycle, some rounds fail to eject...sorta a gerbil fart, counting on 4.6gr to become actual starting load.

4.6gr - nope, this isn’t the base load either. Most rounds fully cycled, cases appear clean, most accurate load, and best cycling of the ladder, but still not a reliably functioning load. I’m thinking of starting at this charge weight, laddering up to 5.0gr and doing two ladders - one at 1.140” as shot today, and another seated to 1.135”, knowing that the bearing surface may be wholly inside the case. If this is so, I may need a bit more crimp to ensure there isn’t an edge at the case mouth.

Stay tuned.
Old August 20, 2020, 10:16 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

Very interested in this. Recently bought a box of .40 S&W frangibles but haven't yet gotten around to loading any. Look forward to seeing how this turns out for you.
Old August 25, 2020, 09:26 PM   #3
huntinaz

They shoot point of aim?
Old August 26, 2020, 08:29 AM   #4
markr6754

Yes, out of my Springfield EMP 3” barrel. I came really close to removing the red completely out of the bullseye target. Just that bit of hanging chad. But, as I was also coaching a new shooter we were only 5 yards at an indoor range.
Old August 26, 2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Hammerhead

I like the frangibles a lot in 9mm and 45 auto.
Very accurate and soft shooting.
Old August 26, 2020, 10:07 PM   #6
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
I like the frangibles a lot in 9mm and 45 auto.
Very accurate and soft shooting.
Right now my loads are too soft shooting. The 4.6gr rounds I loaded at 1.140” shot point of aim and almost cycled my Springfield EMP. I’m trying again at 4.6gr and 1.135”, I really don’t want to load shorter than that if I can get reliable cycling with a bit more powder.
I almost have my wife convinced that I need a Labradar, but I only have $400 in the kitty...so I need to scrounge another $175 from somewhere.
Then I’ll be able to load for velocity rather than function and accuracy.
Old August 29, 2020, 10:40 PM   #7
markr6754

My first trial loads for these bullets with Universal proved interesting. I started with the load for 125gr bullets and stepped down. 4.3gr to 4.6gr at 1.140” shot well, but none of them cycled my Springfield EMP 3”, though the 4.6gr load came close.

This time I increased the ladder, starting with 4.6gr, working up to 5.1gr, with an additional 5 rounds of 4.6gr seated to 1.135”. The original 4.6gr load still failed to cycle, but all higher loads cycled well, as did the 5 shorter 4.6gr rounds.

I’d previously conjectured that proper functioning would occur at 4.8gr. This was true, though the 4.6gr, 1.135” load also functioned well. Nonetheless, the 5.1gr load was awesome.
Any of these rounds would serve my needs, but I could use the 5.1gr load for carry. I’ll load more and test for accuracy, though these bullets fly true.
Old September 5, 2020, 07:25 PM   #8
JRR

Was wondering if you actually weighed these bullets? The box might be mis-labled.
Old September 8, 2020, 12:09 PM   #9
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Was wondering if you actually weighed these bullets? The box might be mis-labled.
JRR, I always check the weight of new (to me) bullets. I generally want to know how much variation there is in them. They are fairly consistent, leaning towards a bit light. They are also .399" vs .400" which makes them a lot easier to load. Very little flare needed on the cases.

Of my 40 S&W bullets, they are lightest and tallest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-S&W Bullets Compared 1.jpg (96.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 40-S&W Bullets Compared Height.jpg (70.4 KB, 8 views)
Old September 8, 2020, 04:34 PM   #10
Grey_Lion

Have you fired some into a thick stack of wet paper to see how they open up? How large is the exit/ end of wound track? Pictures please as I'd like to see how they stack up to my own JHP's.
Old September 10, 2020, 01:12 PM   #11
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Lion View Post
Have you fired some into a thick stack of wet paper to see how they open up? How large is the exit/ end of wound track? Pictures please as I'd like to see how they stack up to my own JHP's.
Sorry, Grey. These are plinking rounds only. Also, I’m distance challenged...indoor range only, 20 yds max, paper targets. We can’t all live in Texas.

You can check videos at https://Sinterfire.com/media/videos

Here’s a pic I took... left round seated 1.140”, just where my Springfield EMP likes it. Right round seated to Sinterfire spec 1.120” (well past ogive). Bare boolit on the right...see the very long profile.

Another pic showing comparison of other 40s I have on hand.
Old September 17, 2020, 12:32 AM   #12
markr6754

I’m ready to move on to other powders for these 135gr Sinterfire projectiles. Got out and shot my latest proof rounds with Universal shooting 4.8gr at 1.135” COL, and 5.0gr at 1.140” COL, both with CCI 500 primers.

Based on previous testing using 4.8gr Universal at 1.140”, recoil and full cycling weren’t quite there. Seating .005” deeper made a significant difference with solid performance, and a good recoil, and clean ejection and lock back. Still, I’m not comfortable seating these projectiles past the ogive, thus the purpose for 5.0gr Universal at 1.140”. All of the positive comments remain true, with just a slighter increase in felt recoil.

I started tonight’s shooting running 165gr JHP RN from Everglades Ammo, over 7.3gr of CFE-Pistol, seated to 1.125”. It was harsh, quite an unpleasant load. I’m not sure what lead me to select this recipe...it was an unnecessary test of 40 S&W power that I hope to never repeat. I’ll have to try those rounds in my Beretta PX4 Storm to see if a longer barrel can tame the load, otherwise, I’ll be pulling out my Hornady Cam Loc Bullet Puller for the second time this month.