The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 22, 2020, 10:58 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Something DEFINATELY changed. This has a whole new feel to it, doesn't it?
No, it most definitely does not. It has exactly the same feel as the last panic and the one before that and the one before that...
Quote:
Because the ammo isn't available or otherwise demand has driven the cost up past the point of being so economic.
If the goal is planning ahead, then this is all being done before there are availability issues.

In that case, it makes sense to me to spend money stocking up on what I will actually need (ammo) instead of spending it on conversion barrels.

If I'm in the middle of a panic and haven't stocked up, then it still doesn't make sense to me to buy a gun and conversion barrels. I would buy a decent gun in a caliber I can find ammo in and then spend all the rest of the money I have allocated on ammo. Again, spend as much of the money on ammo as possible and as little as possible on other things.
Quote:
Also, currently I've been seeing Conversion Barrels going for about $90-$120 online lately, so I'd like to know where you can get 1000 let alone 2000 rounds of 9mm Luger for that price at any given time of the year, much less currently.
The comment I quoted was about buying two conversion barrels and the specific firearm was not mentioned. So it's not a given that conversion barrels that cheap would be available. But let's go with those numbers anyway. That's $180 to $240 for two barrels.

Yes, going back to early in the current presidency when the ammo prices were really low and supply was really high, it is accurate to say that one could get "1000 to 2000 rounds of 9mm Luger" for the cost of 2 conversion barrels. Especially if one were to wait for a sale and buy in bulk--which would be the smart thing to do. I went back through some of my records and found a purchase from 2017 where I got a case of Federal 9mm FMJ ammo online for just under 16.5 cents a round on sale and free shipping to boot.

So for a little less than $165, I bought 1000 rounds of ammo. I don't remember the details of the sale, but assuming it would have allowed buying in less than case quantities at that price and still with free shipping, I could have gotten around 1450 rounds for $240.

The key is keeping an eye out for good deals, buying in bulk when they come around and always keeping a good stock on hand. You can really save a lot of money that way--and it's a significant stress reducer to know that you can keep shooting as normal regardless of supply/demand variations.
Old July 23, 2020, 08:18 AM   #27
TX Nimrod

Quote:
I you were around when Obama got elected it was the same thing. It hit rifle ammo harder then....
I was “around”. I had no trouble finding 9mm ammunition then, although the choices were limited. Primers, powder and bullets however.....

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old July 23, 2020, 08:29 AM   #28
seanc

Quote:
It has exactly the same feel as the last panic and the one before that and the one before that...
Wrong. Previous panics were driven by fear of confiscation or impending bans on future purchases. This cycle of panic buying is based on actual chaos in the streets.

Last edited by JohnKSa; July 24, 2020 at 12:40 AM. Reason: .
Old July 23, 2020, 10:23 AM   #29
pete2

My idea of the 9MM and the .223/5.56 always being available is that when it hits the fan, the U S military uses 9MM and 5.56, that will be the only ammo available except what you already have on hand at the time. When it hits the fan the mfgs will only be producing ammo for the government.
My 2 cents, but I'm right on this.
Old July 23, 2020, 11:23 AM   #30
Mike38

Quote:
My idea of the 9MM and the .223/5.56 always being available is that when it hits the fan, the U S military uses 9MM and 5.56, that will be the only ammo available except what you already have on hand at the time. When it hits the fan the mfgs will only be producing ammo for the government.
My 2 cents, but I'm right on this.
When people say 9mm will always be readily available, I assume that's what they mean. That, and stored / hoarded in homes. If 'It' happens, and one is forced to scrounge for ammo, chances are better that you will find 9mm and .223 more often than something like 10mm and .270.
Old July 23, 2020, 11:56 AM   #31
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Sure is nice to have a Glock 32 and a Glock 23 with 357 Sig barrel, options.
With a couple of exceptions, all my Glocks were originally chambered in 40 S&W for that very reason. A lot easier finding one of three calibers than being limited to only 9mm. Nothing like 650 ft/lb out of a Glock 35 shooting 357 Sig.
Old July 23, 2020, 12:13 PM   #32
jmr40

Common ammo is the 1st to sell out, and 1st back on the shelves later. If you're looking for any ammo right now you planned poorly.

Winston Churchill
Old July 23, 2020, 01:35 PM   #33
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
With a couple of exceptions, all my Glocks were originally chambered in 40 S&W for that very reason. A lot easier finding one of three calibers than being limited to only 9mm. Nothing like 650 ft/lb out of a Glock 35 shooting 357 Sig.
Maybe you should consider a Glock 40 then. Then you'd have a 6" barreled 10mm, 40s&w, 9mm, and 357 Sig!

BTW, my custom G20L I developed back in 2004, long before anyone thought of one, produces a blistering 1,579fps and 925ft/lbs of ME with a 165grn bullet and my 'nuclear' Power Pistol handloads!

Old July 23, 2020, 01:49 PM   #34
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
Nothing like 650 ft/lb out of a Glock 35 shooting 357 Sig.
I don't have a 357 Sig barrel for my Glock 35 ...

At least I've got one for the 22 and 23.
Old July 23, 2020, 02:05 PM   #35
KyJim

Quote:
For the prices of 2 conversion barrels, if you wait until the prices are good, you can buy 1000-2000 rounds of 9mm.

If the goal is always to have ammo on hand, I think it makes more sense to spend money stocking up on ammo than on buying conversion barrels. Remember, even after you buy the conversion barrels, you still have to buy ammo--why not spend all the money on ammo?
Or you could just buy One Gun to Rule Them All --- a Medusa Model 47.
Old July 23, 2020, 03:03 PM   #36
stinkeypete

Mike nailed it, above. When the Zombie ‘PacoLips comes you can scrounge 9mm ammo of of just about every zombie with a kydex holster, every abandoned home or whatever that you shelter in. Not to mention sniping at outlaw mall ninjas from 300 yards with your 30 cal rifle and shopPing that way. Rick with his Python seems to have his Hollywood Cowboy merit badge as he never seems to run out of .357 Magnum.

TV plots seem to imply that reloading ammunition is something only a maladjusted genius with a mullet can figure out. It’s actually about as hard as making a tasty egg sandwich.

Just because it’s sold out doesn’t mean you can’t buy a set of dies and start cranking out your own tonight.
Old July 23, 2020, 04:22 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

The one that gets me...

If people are shooting more or more gun owners getting some stock...okay.

BUT
-If you are trying to stock up to have a lot of 9mm range ammo (and 9mm is the one that is truly gone bananas)...silly time to do that. In fact, I'm unloading my range ammo to put what I'm getting at double I paid for to buying more in the future. For example, I just sold 5 boxes of 9mm CCI Blazer 147gr for $100 yesterday. Outrageous, but it was bought the day I listed it. When it cools, I'm half way to a 20 box case of expensive FMJ like CCI Lawman or Federal TSJ.
-If you are trying to stock up for fear of life and death, Gold Dot and HST have be available this whole time and at the SAME price. I've now maxed my HST store for life. If you truly believe the world is getting desperate (I for one find this silly as the entire world is experience financial issues which is actually a good thing to be sharing a crisis)...spending $20 on Federal Champion (worst ammo available)...what's the point?

Today I just bought 200rnds of normal priced Gold Dot 223 62gr. In times of trouble, should be the most sought after round. In fact, it's 55gr FMJ range only ammo that is in and out of stock at cabelas on a minute by minute basis.

So whatever the rationale if it's panic buying, it isn't logical.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; July 23, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old July 23, 2020, 06:24 PM   #38
SHR970

Quote:
COSteve wrote: That's why many of us who reload don't bother with the 9mm.
And before BOTH of the last panics I pointed out that even though bargain 9mm is cheap if you are set to reload and stocked on components you wouldn't be left out in the cold. Scrounged brass is easy enough to aquire. Lots of powders work; maybe not the best but they work. Small Pistol Primers are something you should have plenty of. Bullets, even plated round nose are better than NOTHING. It doesn't take much space to store 500 or 1000 just because.

During the last 2 panics I was still shooting when everyone else was dry.
Old July 23, 2020, 06:29 PM   #39
smee78

And this is another reason why I diversify my collection. I love going out and shooting my guns and right now I go shoot what I can find without dropping the quantity of my stash.
Old July 23, 2020, 06:34 PM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
Maybe you should consider a Glock 40 then. Then you'd have a 6" barreled 10mm, 40s&w, 9mm, and 357 Sig!

BTW, my custom G20L I developed back in 2004, long before anyone thought of one, produces a blistering 1,579fps and 925ft/lbs of ME with a 165grn bullet and my 'nuclear' Power Pistol handloads!
Hmmm, I was thinking about that too with my 20SF just a tad later than you maybe. That path led me to a 8.5" 9 x 25 Dillon barrel (still have another 20SF in 10mm with fully-supported 6" barrel). How about a 65 gr inceptor doing 2400+ fps and 850 ftlbs KE?

Did you split a few cases?
Old July 23, 2020, 10:22 PM   #41
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR970 View Post
During the last 2 panics I was still shooting when everyone else was dry.
The funny thing is that hardly no one was dry. Everyone gun owner I know ended the ammo drought with more ammo stockpiled than ever before. People who’d have a couple boxes of ammo previously now had a case of .22 and numerous boxes of every caliber they owned.
Old July 24, 2020, 12:39 AM   #42
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Wrong. Previous panics were driven by fear of confiscation or impending bans on future purchases. This cycle of panic buying is based on actual chaos in the streets.
Accepting for the sake of argument that the general REASON for the panic is different, I would argue that it still FEELS exactly the same.
Old July 24, 2020, 03:44 AM   #43
Cosmodragoon

I thought it was common knowledge by now that 9mm and .22LR are the first to go in a crisis. I've developed two rules:

1. Diversify. Try to have a different gun or conversion barrel for a gun you like in a variety of calibers.

2. Keep a reasonable amount of ammo on hand. Whether it's a crisis, an oppressive law, the rumor of an oppressive law, or a bad election; we've seen a lot of runs on ammo over the years.

While I've had to limit recreational range trips, I've been very happy to have been prepared throughout the current crisis. The only inconvenience was toilet paper, paper towels, and family members who don't want to "rough it".
Old July 24, 2020, 11:38 AM   #44
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Accepting for the sake of argument that the general REASON for the panic is different, I would argue that it still FEELS exactly the same.
Yes.
I thought I had replied with almost that exact statement yesterday, but apparently not.

Cause != Effect

This started for a different reason than usual, but the panic buying and hoarding feels the same.
Old July 24, 2020, 12:21 PM   #45
Hawg

Quote:
Today I just bought 200rnds of normal priced Gold Dot 223 62gr. In times of trouble, should be the most sought after round. In fact, it's 55gr FMJ range only ammo that is in and out of stock at cabelas on a minute by minute basis.

So whatever the rationale if it's panic buying, it isn't logical.
People buy the most of what they can afford. It's not illogical at all.
Old July 24, 2020, 02:23 PM   #46
agtman

Quote:
So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"
Another reason to own a 10mm, even if you own 9mms and/.40s.

As far as revolver ammo goes, I've seen plenty of boxes of .41 & .44 Mag, and .45LC.

No .38 Spec. or .357 Mag though.
Old July 24, 2020, 02:43 PM   #47
jimku

I have over 1,000 rounds each of good defensive 357 Mag, 380, 12 gauge 00 buck and slugs, and .22 mag on my shelves. And 5,000 rounds of .22LR. And at least 500 rounds each of .44 mag, .41 Mag and 38 Special. Much of it I waited a month or more to be notified that it was back in stock. Much of it I back-ordered. I also have a good stock of 45 Colt from my cowboy action shooting days, which are capable of doing a job on a bad guy in a pinch. I have no need for 9MM or 10MM because I don't own one and never will ... but why is off-topic for this thread. Point of this post is that ammo is available if you are willing to wait for it. I will also say that I haven't bought a single box of it at my LGS's because they NEVER have any ammo I want. As for my rationale all I'm going to say is it is not panic and that it is totally logical.

Last edited by jimku; July 24, 2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old July 24, 2020, 04:01 PM   #48
chaim

Quote:
1. Diversify. Try to have a different gun or conversion barrel for a gun you like in a variety of calibers.

2. Keep a reasonable amount of ammo on hand. Whether it's a crisis, an oppressive law, the rumor of an oppressive law, or a bad election; we've seen a lot of runs on ammo over the years.
This, exactly this...

I don't get the question on this thread...

You would see a lot more posts (from those of us around long enough to really remember the past shortages/runs) along the lines of 9mm being the first to disappear. The only place you'd see people talking about 9mm being available when nothing else is, would be those strange gun forum dystopia dreams some have of civil war when they talk of government stockpiles of 9mm and 5.56 making it the only ammo available. How? I'm not sure. If everything is banned (or gone), what do they envision? Having government forces recognize you as one of the good guys, and things are so bad that the troops/federal law enforcement enlist you as an ally and give you ammo? Or worse, taking it off the bodies of dead feds/soldiers in some civil war? Both very unlikely scenarios, so we are back to, anyone who has been paying attention knows that 9mm is the first to disappear.

So, back to the themes of many of these answers...

Either spend a few bucks when ammo is available again and stock up for the (inevitable) next shortage, or buy guns in a few calibers, including a few less popular calibers that are less likely to disappear so fast. Or, like me, do both. In pistols I have 9mm, .380, .45acp and .40S&W, in revolvers I have less variety, but I have .45LC, .357mag and .38spl. I also have a small stock of 9mm, .40S&W and .38spl (plus .45LC and .38/.357 reloading components). If you stock up on ammo, 9mm is probably easiest since it is the cheapest, and being a tad smaller, it takes up a little less space than .45 or .40S&W.
Old July 24, 2020, 05:08 PM   #49
jimku

Please read th 2nd amendment ... carefully.

Last edited by jimku; July 24, 2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old July 24, 2020, 05:29 PM   #50
Drm50

Record background checks and a big percentage of 1st time buyers. I would suspect 9mm to be #1 pistol ammo and 380 second. 45acp, 38sp and 357 honorable mention. Long gun is 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO, 30/06 and 30/30. Shotgun Slugs and Buck shot in 12 & 20g. And let’s not forget the most useful the 22lr. Think there are several hundred presently quasi popular cartridges, some fairly common but now days they are making so many different ones cartridges like 300Sav, 35Rem, 32 Win and HVs like 243, 270 ect can be hard to come by.