The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 20, 2019, 09:37 PM   #1
ECM4

USPSA matches- new shooter

Trying to find some local matches. Never been to one and want to go just watch one and get into trying matches at some point. Longtime shooter just never shot in competitions. Looked on the USPSA site to find local ranges and matches. Found some ranges within a couple hour drive that has matches but can’t find a list of when they have them. Anyone shoot matches in WV, Eastern Ohio it Western PA?. Always something I wanted to get into but never done it.
Old November 21, 2019, 02:50 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...to find local ranges..." You need to look for local clubs not ranges.
You go to these sites?
https://uspsa.org/matches
https://uspsa.org/find-a-club
Keep in mind that there's a lot of running around so being sort of fit, helps. And that nobody will be judging you or your score. None of the shooting games are practice for anything. None are exactly practical either.
You will find that most competitive shooters will go out of their way to help a new shooter. I've found that at at any kind of match no mater what the flavour. CMP JC Garand shooters will lend you their rifle. Both IPSC and USPSA shooters will too. You will meet some of the very best people you'll ever meet at shooting matches.
Old November 21, 2019, 04:08 PM   #3
ECM4

Thanks for the reply. I was at the find a club page. After I posted this post I found their Facebook page and got some information. I must live I bad spot for this. Not many close. Rayners Range in Blue Rock oh would be my closest. Pretty good drive to get there but might have to go to one. Is it normal for people to just go watch and not shoot? Kind of want to just see how one runs before I actually try one.
Old November 21, 2019, 05:06 PM   #4
Crunchy Frog

With any shooting discipline I think it’s a good idea to go and watch. It usually doesn’t cost anything and you can get a feel for the game and the community by just hanging around. Don’t be shy, let folks know that you have an interest.

Look at Steel Challenge if there is a match in your area. That’s a great way to get started in competition shooting.
Old November 21, 2019, 11:01 PM   #5
Jim Watson

IDPA ain't bad.
https://www.idpa.com/clubs/
Old November 27, 2019, 09:04 PM   #6
klcmschlesinger

Steel Challenge

I am shooting Steel Challenge and Shadow Hawk Defense in Hedgesville WV this coming Saturday, the 30th. Taking my son in law. He hasn't shot anything like this before so he may watch, and may be able to try it. We will see.

Agreed that most shooters are very welcoming. There are a few asses you will run in to, but that is the way it is with everything.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old November 28, 2019, 07:12 PM   #7
scroadkill

and practiscore.com has a search for matches feature.. and search for scores feature.

sign up - search for scores at matches in your area and see who is shooting and where.. most matches are the same weekend each month.

then sign up and shoot the next one. ask the local shooters who are doing well in their division and see where they shoot - what matches they find fun.. and ask if you can squad up with them. exchange numbers and ask then to txt you when registration opens. you will need to keep an eye on practiscore for a while until you learn the routine.