The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
cmcffpm

What makes a scope good 4x scope

I have read many threads on this site and others about scope recommendations. My question is, what makes a scope a good scope. I have a 10/22 and would like a good quality, fixed 4x scope. What do I need to look for, or how should the scope look when I look through it. I have never owned a scope and would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Old November 13, 2008, 06:32 PM   #2
sholling

Let me just cut to the chase and point you at the best deal in a 4x for a rimfire. Natchez has a Weaver Classic 4x32 shotgun scope on clearance. It's a $200+ scope on sale for $80. These are awesome on a 22!

What you're looking for in a scope is clarity of glass, sharpness of the image at the rated distance (50-60yds for rimfire), brightness in low light, reliability, and repeatability of adjustments. A rimfire scope (and some shotgun scopes) have their lenses set to provide a parallax free image at 50-60yds. A center fire scope is set to 100 plus.

Let's give you some reading to do.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rational_glass.htm
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm
Old November 13, 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
kayakersteve

Good??

First of all, welcome to TFL - Sorry nobody has replied. I am partial to Burris and Leupold and think they both offer a variety of fixed power scopes. They are going to be higher priced, of course. Cabelas has a line called ?Alaskan? that would likely fit the bill at a reduced price. They are durable; I have one on my Mossberg 835 and it kicks like a mule - Scope is holding up fine! Here is a picture of it:

Old November 14, 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
hoytinak

Sorry I can't help you as I'm looking for a decent 4x scope to put on my Mini-14 so I wanted to get on this thead. I'm not looking to spend more than $200 and would like a compact but fullsize would be ok if not too big for the Mini.
Old November 15, 2008, 06:25 AM   #5
thallub

Quote:
Sorry I can't help you as I'm looking for a decent 4x scope to put on my Mini-14 so I wanted to get on this thead.

IMO: The Leupold FXII 4x33 is the best 4X scope out there. Have an almost new Zeiss 4X and the Leupold beats it in low light. Have the Leupold 4x33 on one of my guns plus an additonal scope as a spare: That spare scope will go on an AR 15 i'm picking up on Monday.

The Leupold FXII 4x33 usually retails for $269. Pay a little more and get a lot more scope.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s.../fx-ii-4x33mm/