The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 17, 2009, 02:20 PM   #451
margiesex

I appreciate both sides of the argument - just trying to let others know of a site I was not aware of until last week. Maybe in a crunch it will help out someone.

And, frankly, if you have a favorite load/gun/match, whatever coming up - you may want only that special load and you may like to have it at any price.

For example (and not to belabor the point) I shoot 230 grain JHP's in my Gold Cup - either Remington Golden Sabers or Winchester JHPs. I have some fella in New York that has hooked me up with some in the past - I heard from him 3 weeks ago that he had some, but the price was unreal (twice what I bought the last group for) - but I ordered 300 anyway. Why? 1. I can always use them; 2. It may be a while (I still have items on order from last year) before I could get them again; 3. My firearm functions flawlessly with them; 4. They make a jim dandy looking load; and 5. (Which may be more important to me) I keep open a line of communication and business that I may need in the future.

Plus, he runs a small (and I mean small) attic like business - so I feel good if I can help him out.

Yeah, I know, to long an answer, but.....

God bless you all.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both - and soon!
Old June 17, 2009, 03:11 PM   #452
verti89

Well...I think i just got screwed. The site is a pretty cheaply made one and the ordering is not up to par so hopefully no one steals my CC#. Plus I accidentally ordered 3 'orders'. It says limit of 2k per customer then it says the price per order s like $46. what exactly did my 140 bucks just buy me? surely not 6k primers?? if so Im sure i will be able to make some of my money back by reselling them. Well I may have got screwed but there are worse things to get screwed over. oh well live and learn
Old June 17, 2009, 07:13 PM   #453
ragsxd

my local gun shop has primers.he limits to 1000, that way eveyone can get some.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:52 PM   #454
impalacustom

Lester is an A1 guy, give him a call if you have any questions and he will help you out, there aren't many places where you can talk to the owner anymore. I have bought quite a few things from him and found his prices to be reasonable for what I bought. Remember Bruno's is a Benchrest kind of place and he has what is needed plus he tries to keep custom stuff in stock.
Old June 17, 2009, 11:23 PM   #455
Doodlebugger45

Same thing around here. It's no big deal to get most primers you need at most of the good stores at fairly reasonable prices ($31-$34/1000). Not always, but usually. A pretty good selection of powders usually. Bullets can be a problem for certain calibers. New brass can be a big problem for certain calibers, but it's getting a little better as well.
Old June 18, 2009, 12:15 PM   #456
Unclenick
Staff

Davec,

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's more likely to be a swing in prices. As I mentioned in my last post and Mike restated more completely, the Rifleman article failed to consider the changed baseline for military demand outlined in the earlier Army Times article I linked to. That baseline may be with us for a spell, but at some point all the hoarded primers will gather enough dust that their owners will start to consume them faster than they replace them. At that point we may actually be treated to some discounts for a time. I hope so. It is especially likely to happen if a change in the party in control of the House or Senate occurs in the next election. But even absent that, if nobody comes trying to take them away, people will tire of their panic and it will fade and they will begin to munch on their excess reserves.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 18, 2009, 10:31 PM   #457
Colorado Redneck

primers and bullets

I just got a couple thousand primers (1000 @ of large pistol and large rifle) and a bunch of bullets from Midway. Didn't rip me off either. Shippped the day after I ordered and they came in three days later.
Old June 19, 2009, 10:23 PM   #458
B-Maxx

I Don't Believe it!!!

I actually found 2lbs of Varget and 1000 large rifle primers at the store today! It has been ages since I have seen either of these items in stock anywhere. Must be my father's day gift from the reloading gods.
Old June 19, 2009, 10:44 PM   #459
Unclenick
Staff

I don't believe it either. You'd better send that stuff to me to double-check and do some testing just to make sure you have what you think you do?

Actually, there have been an increasing number of posts to suggest there is finally a slight easing of the shortages. It may go up and down a few times before it is over, but I think there may be a dim light, at least, at the end of the tunnel now.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 19, 2009, 10:44 PM   #460
Leewhiskey

Found some today...

Got 2k of each small and large rifle as well as an 8 pounder of Varget at Scheels in Eau Claire this evening. 34 per box of primers and 160 for the varget. Still had plenty of primers in stock (all flavors except magnums), all were remington. They also had a pretty good stock of powder. They were limiting how much you could buy, but I was just happy to get a little at a fair price.
I hope that all these "profiteers" on gunbroker get stuck with the millions of primers they've accumulated and have to take a loss when supplies come back.
Old June 20, 2009, 04:17 PM   #461
kscardsfan

I seem to recall everyone saying we'd never live to see gas below 2.75 or 3.00/gallon after it hit $4+ last summer; and last time I filled up I paid 2.51/gallon and around christmas I paid under 1.50/gallon. This is a temporary spike and the prices will come back down to a reasonable levels soon enough, we just all need to be patient. I'm no expert, but I have seen enough of these pricing events in the last few years that I can't help but believe that the same thing will happen.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:32 PM   #462
Dan The Sig Man

Oh how I LOVE getting product in-stock notifications from Midway USA about an hour or more LATE... I got one about 15 mins ago, and when I contacted Midway USA the lady said that product sold out an hour before I even got the Notification. How BS is that for ya. Yes it was Primers, and yes I know the whole demand thing, but you would think that it would notify a little sooner... Nice work Midway USA.
Old June 24, 2009, 07:42 PM   #463
gbcop

I'm good on pistol powder, so I thought I'd share with everyone else who is in need of Unique powder. Just received an e-mail that it's in stock. Unknown how much they have, or anything else. Just passing along information.

http://www.natchezss.com:80/product....dID=HPUN1&src=
Old June 25, 2009, 09:02 PM   #464
.50FAN

Watching the markets

Hey, kscardsfan, y'gotta remember that there is an unlimited (as far as we know, discounting T.Boone Pickens & Algor) supply of petroleum, and when the price goes up high enough, there'll be all you can buy. Not so with gun-stuff. Some panic-hoarders have distorted the market, but it'll catch up. I plink w D.Eagle .50, because I enjoy making loud noises. But it ain't cheap, so I reload, and keep a stock of primers "in the back room." Before the end of 2008, after the election my primer source moved the price from $29/1000 to $30/1000 and told me to buy what I'd need for the year at that price (3,000~3,500rds/year) and reckoned the price would jump after 1/20. So I bought all he had (two cases) and now I'm ready for FOUR more years. Simple math and politics, not hoarding. Now those primers are $45/1000. A better investment than gold, but I'm not selling....neither my primers OR my gold.
Old June 26, 2009, 03:38 AM   #465
kscardsfan

.50 fan, as much as I envy you and your chosen hobby (rock on!! ), I have to disagree with you. While we might or might not (not a geologist, don't know the future) have unlimited supplies of petroleum, we only have a finite supply of gas/diesel at any one time. They change the blends between summer and winter, add differing amounts of sulphur to diesel, retool refineries, etc. The strategic petroleum reserve that Pelosi and the other liberals wanted to tap into to relieve gas prices last summer or the year before is the most potent example of this. And before any one asks about my qualifications on this, my family and friends are all in the oil field, specifically in the exploration (drilling) side of the industry. Next to my copies of shotgun news and guns and ammo are my dad's copies of world oil, off shore engineer, and hart's e&p (exploration&production). He also reads the wall street journal, not sure why though, he's too cheap to do anything in the stock market . Also, like ammo, the military is using massive amounts of fossil fuel in the war right now; so once supply catches up to demand I think we'll see things normalize again, but for now we'll just have to live lean and wait for sunnier days to come back lol. (yes, I'm a captialist pig and profited from high energy prices, but I didn't get any kind of discount at the pump or on my electric bill lol)
Old June 26, 2009, 01:47 PM   #466
nickl405

Primers

I need small pistol primers and cant seem to find them anywhere. I've checked cabelas and a few other shops in my area as well as online. I'm located outside of philadelphia anyone know where I can get some?
Old June 26, 2009, 02:16 PM   #467
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hey .50 Fan,

Back during the 1992-1994 primer shortage prices went up a helling. People were screaming bloody murder about paying as much as $40 per K.

A LOT of people also said that we would NEVER EVER again see primer prices as low as we had, that prices around $40 were here to stay because gun owners had proven that we were willing to pay that much.

Bravo Sierra.

Prices stayed high after the flow of primer started to improve.

For awhile.

By late 1995 early 1996, though, the manufacturers had caught up and prices were back down to VERY close to where they were when the shortage started to take off.

As I've said before, a year or two ago I considered myself VERY ill used if I had to pay more than $14, and it wasn't uncommon to find them under $10 per K.

Prices are going to stay high for awhile.

Then a couple of things are going to happen. People are finally going to realize that maybe, just maybe, the 250,000 primers they have in their basement might be just a skosh overkill, panic sales will slow down, the military demand for ammo will slow with eventual resolution of the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the manufacturers will once again start engaging in something called free enterprise where they try to sell more than their competitors, and that little exercise very often leads to lower prices.

The price on primers is going to drop. It's just going to take awhile.

Trying to compare primers to petroleum is silly. It just doesn't work.

I filled my gas tank with primers the other week and blew two cylinders out through my hood.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 26, 2009, 05:02 PM   #468
Alleykat

If you can find small rifle primers, they'll do just fine. I use small rifle primers, exclusively, for 9mm reloading.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:24 PM   #469
choicesmade24

I would be willing to trade 1000 for small rifle primers
Old June 26, 2009, 08:36 PM   #470
rn22723

trade? hope you have a haz mat contract to ship them?
Old June 26, 2009, 11:37 PM   #471
johnwilliamson062

Primer supplies

Well ammunition seems to be loosening up a little now. I am wondering if any of you guys "in the know" have any idea when I will start to see shelves with primers. I have everything else for reloading and would love to get started...
Old June 27, 2009, 12:56 AM   #472
Bud Helms

Another merge.
Old June 27, 2009, 06:25 PM   #473
Preacher13

Quote:
If you can find small rifle primers, they'll do just fine. I use small rifle primers, exclusively, for 9mm reloading.
Thanks for the info on the primers.

Last edited by Preacher13; June 28, 2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old June 29, 2009, 01:52 PM   #474
Mello2u

I'll believe it when I get the primers in my hand, but . . . . . . Midway took my order for Winchester Large Rifle Primers today and confirmed it by e-mail too.

I got an e-mail notice of a "Product Arrival" that I had requested. The time stamp was 1:07 P.M. today. I called as soon as I checked my e-mail at 1:40 P.M. The person taking the order said that they were out of stock. I said I just got the notice. So she checked again and found they were in stock.

I've been looking for these for about 4 months.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 29, 2009, 11:40 PM   #475
bignz

The solution to this primer madness, that works for me at least (and I just shoot about 100-150 small pistol primers a week) is to order from Cabelas. They advertise 0-1, 1-2 or 2-4 week backorders. They are always several weeks longer than what they state (at least for me). But still, I always have one on order working its way through the backorder. As soon as one comes in I order another and the world keeps on turning. By the time I get through one box of 1000 I always seem to have another at the door. I just hate the hazmat fees as it takes so much of the cost savings out of reloading. I just can't find any at the local shops, but that's really my only problem (hazmat) during this shortage.