The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
FoMoCowboy

300 WIN MAG costs

okay, so i have 2 full boxes (40 total) of 300 win mag--27 loaded and 13 fired fired.

what does a box of these go for? i believe they are 150 and 180 grain pills, but they could be mixed in the box.

i'm considering putting them up on the local classifieds, either in trade for a fair amount of .308 cartridges or for straight cash.

i'm fairly confident that .308 win's are less expensive than these .300 mags. so i'm thinking along the lines of 3 boxes of .308's for these 2 boxes, or probably letting them both go for $50. am i on the right track in terms of cost?

otherwise i'll probably just pull the bullets and use them myself and sell the primed (and 13 spent primed) cases, in which case, what would 27 primed and 13 spent cases go for?

Thanks
Old April 5, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
kraigwy

I was at our local hardware store, they had 300 WM Rem 180s for $27 a box. And this is an out of the way place. I'm sure I could beat that in Rapid City or Gillette.

So that would lead me to believe that $50 for a box and (less then) half, would be a bit steep.

Don't know, the only 300s I use are ones loaded up for my 1000 yard 300 WM.

I think your best bet would be to take them to a gun show and take your best shot in what ever trade you can fine.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 5, 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
elkman06

As always, take advice for what it cost you. I personally wouldn't give you much for them. Several reasons.
1. they might be mixed...just brass to me. If I don't know exactly what I am buying, I will not pay much and then I will pull them apart as I don't trust them.
2. I can reload them for around 10 bux a box assuming I have the brass so wouldn't make sense for me to spend more than that.
3. Why would I pay close to new price for an unkown? If I can buy new...re: guaranteed..ammo from a major manufacturer, why would I pay near that for yours?
Not trying to be sarcastic,,just realistic.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old April 12, 2009, 03:39 AM   #4
FoMoCowboy

Quote:
As always, take advice for what it cost you. I personally wouldn't give you much for them. Several reasons.
1. they might be mixed...just brass to me. If I don't know exactly what I am buying, I will not pay much and then I will pull them apart as I don't trust them.
2. I can reload them for around 10 bux a box assuming I have the brass so wouldn't make sense for me to spend more than that.
3. Why would I pay close to new price for an unkown? If I can buy new...re: guaranteed..ammo from a major manufacturer, why would I pay near that for yours?
Not trying to be sarcastic,,just realistic.
elkman06
Thats kind of what i figured...

I'll probably just pull the bullets and save the powder (i keep random/spilled powder in a pill bottle for my survival pack) and sell the brass.

Thanks for the insight!