The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 23, 2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Gbro

Specialty Tools?

I was in Hog Heaven yesterday disassembling my GHD Victory S&W.
That was until i removed the cylinder pawl. When i heard the spring go, it was a Ooh-OOHoo.
I did the lighter fluid and compressed air thing to clean it the rest of the way.
Sure would of liked to break it down further, but it took a while to reload the pawl as it was.
I think this was the 1st cleaning for this old gun.
Just curious, are there specialty tool for this kind of work?
I just couldn't justify pulling the trigger mechanism.
I was so impressed with the beauty of the workmanship, I would like to go in again someday.
Old February 23, 2008, 07:32 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There aren't too many S&W specific tools but here they are:

Number ONE: The book "The S&W Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen.
This is THE S&W gunsmithing book, and was written as a training aid for new gunsmiths.
It has EVERYTHING you could possible want to know about the mechanics of the S&W, including 100% disassembly, inspection of individual parts, fitting new parts, etc.

Looks like Brownell's is out of stock on it, so check Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe...r=all_products

2. You "can" buy a S&W rebound spring tool, but many just just a small Phillips screwdriver:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0SPRING%20TOOL

3. S&W specific screwdriver set:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...%20SCREWDRIVER

There used to be a special clamp used to remove ejector rods, but it's no longer in production.
For now, use a padded vise to hold the rod, and three EMPTY cases to support the ejector.
Full details on this are in the book.
Old February 23, 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Gbro

Thanks D,
I will look for the book.
I spent my career working on hydraulic equipment. These big clumbsy finger's were out of place in that revolver.
Old February 23, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not going to disassemble a gun to check, but I think the Victory Model still had the old type hand spring, a coil spring in a vertical hole in the trigger, and a machined lever that operates the hand. When the hand is just pulled out, the lever tilts and the coil spring can take off. They are a something of a nuisance to put back in but not as bad as the new ones with the MIM trigger.

Most of the newer books on S&Ws don't even mention that hand spring system or the two old style hammer blocks.

Jim