The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #1
marineman

Display pieces

I figured this was the most accurate place for this, anyone here buy guns in non-firing condition just to use as decorations around the house or is everything you own fireable? Bidding on a set of inoperable shotguns now to hang on the wall, just wondering if I'm alone there?
Old December 7, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
armsmaster270

I only have operable firearms. I do not display deactivated weapons it invites break in's.
Old December 7, 2012, 03:17 AM   #3
couillon

No, all are functional, but I just can't afford to shoot some of them. Portuguese Kropatschek in 8x60R and Swedish Rolling Block in 8x58RD for example. So yes wall hangers.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
tahunua001

all of mine fire. the oldest gun I own turned 100 this year and she still makes semi regular range visits with me.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I made a floor lamb with a Damascus barreled shotgun and a table lamb from a flint lock pistol. Wife wanted them in my office and not the living room
Old December 7, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Years ago, Interarms had so much stuff they couldn't sell that they turned a lot of them into lamps. Old rolling blocks became floor lamps and old Italian revolvers became table lamps. They made rather nice displays and most were in such poor condition that they were small loss as guns.

I once knew a man who had some old junk revolvers chrome plated and displayed under glass on blue velvet in a sunken coffee table. He figured any intruders would go for the shine and not look for the concealed room where he kept some very good stuff. I don't know if it would have worked, since AFAIK he was never burglarized

Jim
Old December 8, 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Personally I don't have any that are just "wall hangers" but that's not to say that there isn't a market for them. I've known several men over the years who wanted something like that to hang on the walls of their restaurants and bars - decorative pieces. I once bought a collection that had a few in it - mostly old damascus barreled shotguns that were missing parts, pieces. I put them out at a gun show I was at - a fellow came along with his young son looking for "projects" he could work on with his son as his sone really was getting to like guns - especially older ones. He was a nice fellow and his son was a very nice kid - reminded myself of me when I was his age with his interests. I ended up giving him three of them as I could tell he didn't have a whole lot of money to spend. They were thrilled. He later sent me some photos of one that they had "fixed up". He'd helped his son refinish the stocks and re-blue the metal, etc. Even though I hadn't charged him anything for them, I got my payment just seeing the results and knowing that they had done some father/son bonding.

Just don't go overboard on what you pay for them. Most of 'em are worth more in "parting out" IMHO than as a assembled gun.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 8, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
1 old 0311-1

I got a REAL old flintlock as a wall hanger. Looks good.
Old December 9, 2012, 05:32 AM   #9
BigRick

No interest at all in wall hangers. Especially Camel Guns, old Enfields, or caplocks.

Old December 10, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
ronz

Just bought one yesterday an old parker shotgun but wouldn’t have gotten it if it wasn’t functional but don’t think I will be able to resist shooting it but would more than likely be only once and only a couple of shots
the wife was with me when we bought it I asked her what she thought
She said “it would look good above the fire place” so it really didn’t matter if it worked or not it’s a decoration just a little better decoration if it works and a little better yet if you shoot it
Old December 10, 2012, 12:20 AM   #11
johnm1

I just can't do it. I bought a Steyr M95 Long Rifle as a wall hanger. It had been decommissioned by drilling the chamber. I just couldn't let it stay the wall hanger I bought it for. It now shoots and pretty well at that. Now I have to do something with the parts left over from the donor/parts rifle.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

Um... not intentionally... all of mine must be shootable

I do have an old glass fronted case full of grandpa's & great grandpa's shotguns... AFAIK, all are "shootable" but most are damaskas barreled, so I wouldn't shoot them... I guess they are decoration, being in an antique glass front case, but not intentionally... I also collect antique pocket guns, & have some in obsolite chamberings ( like 30 rimfire ) on those, I had my machinist buddy make rifled chamber inserts, so they can shoot 22 rim fire, & I do shoot those with Aquila Colibri's... I have an old bottom break S&W, that I made functional after I bought it in unfireable condition... I have never shot it, even with the lightest of 22 rim fire, because of the fragile design... however, I don't display that one, it's more a safe queen
Old December 12, 2012, 05:32 PM   #13
DennisCA

BigRick (and others) I agree:

I prefer to collect shooters - not wallhangers
Old December 12, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
I prefer to collect shooters - not wallhangers
Why not both?

It's real, but it's not terribly old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rocksmasher.jpg (44.6 KB, 33 views)
Old December 12, 2012, 07:35 PM   #15
MJ1

;)

- David Hackworth -
Old December 12, 2012, 09:45 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

B/c of my involvement in local Firearms rights issues it is a little difficult for me to play the "I don't have any guns" card. I keep all but the basics off site now, but no way to stop a lot of people from knowing the gun I open carry is at my house.

There are always those glass cabinets with space for a half dozen guns on craigslist. I have considered willing one with replicas, de-milled, etc. for looks.