The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2004, 09:43 AM   #1
j0hnlewis

Ruger M77 Mark 2 25-06 Reload Problems HELP!

I've had this rifle for about 5 years(military and don't shoot much as I used to) and I can't get better than 1 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I've reloaded about every variation I can think of, mostly adjusting the seating depth. It seems It doesn't matter where I seat the bullet in relationship to the lands it still shoots the same (I've always heard seating depth is the most important adjustment). Its a standard wood stock so I just ordered a Hogue Pillar bedded stock and leupold rings which I will lap before I reinstall the weaver 15x scope. I was curious if anyone had one of these rifles or a starting load procedure and load development plan I might try. I already perform all the machining procedures on the cases except neck turning, and I use redding neck sizer, with hornady seating die toped with a micrometer. I also have the stoney point OAL guage. Any suggestions?
Old October 20, 2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Hanged if I know, but you are not alone.

I had one several years ago and it was not particularly accurate, either. It would do better than 1.75" but I never got it down to the magic MOA. A friend fought a M77 7x57 for a long time and eventually gave up and had it rebarrelled to .280. On the other hand, my 77V .22-250 is quite accurate.

I don't know where you should go next.
Old November 3, 2004, 03:24 AM   #3
lassie

John
stop worring about how deep the bullet is and start using some other powders
with your fired cases only neck size but not all of it to the shoulder.
(3/4's of it)
load 5 sets of loads in lots of 3 (15 loads)using the same primer & bullet in all of them and only change to five different powders.one of them will be better than the rest of them.
Old November 3, 2004, 08:09 PM   #4
HSMITH

Loosen the action screws, tighten them center first just snug, then rear then forward, again just snug. Shoot a group. Tighten just the center screw leaving the other two just snug, shoot a group. Loosen it and tighten the rear screw and shoot. You get the idea, see if it want's a little different stock tension by trying to try different combinations. If the barrel isn't floating put a couple thickness of cardboard, matchbook covers and business cards work well, under the action screws to space the action up out of the stock until the barrel is free-floating and shoot it. If the barrel is floated already put a couple thicknesses of the matchbook covers under the barrel in the tip of the forend until it gets snug when you tighten the action screws and shoot it. Usually you can find something that will help the gun out with the above tricks.
Old November 7, 2004, 09:44 AM   #5
Black wallnut

Does your rifle shoot better with factory loads or are your groups just as large? If your groups are better with factory ammo then you have a reload problem, if they are the same then you have a rifle problem. Some Ruger's just don't shoot good groups, almost all can with the correct tuning.
Old November 11, 2004, 08:40 PM   #6
j0hnlewis

.75moa

I finally found a good load or I've got rid of the problem. I purchased a Houge rubber stock (pillar bedded version), although the barrel is not free floated it still shot 3/4 in groups at 100 yrds with 75gr v-max loaded with about a max suggested load of IMR 4350 and I was in awe and disbelief. I might try the match book trick to free float the barrel but I'm sort of hesitant considering it took me this long to finally get it to shoot. I'll probably just focus on hitting where I aim now Thanks for all the great suggestions!!
Old January 22, 2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

Hsmith

Sir:
I think HSMITH has it!

Last edited by Harry Bonar; January 22, 2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: unnecessary remark