The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 25, 2019, 01:25 AM   #1
AERacing1813

NFA tax stamp question

Before I send off my paperwork to obtain an SBR, I just want to make sure I have everything I need. I've looked around google and I find a lot of different things, I'd like some feed back from someone who's been in the similar situation

So, I'm looking to purchase an SBR off a friend of mine, he's selling as an Individual, I'm buying as a individual, no trust on either of us. will be purchasing it with cash, and bill of sale. State we live in is Arkansas.

SO...
I believe I just send in the 2 copies of the form4 (1 for ATF, 1 to return) to the listed address on top of it, along with passport photos paper clipped to both copes sent to the ATF, and mail off the CLEO pages to my local county sheriff? I read to do payment by credit/debt card that way the payment can be tracked compared to a money order, so thats my plan of payment.

- I also got my finger prints done at the local police HQ just incase since theyre free (FD-258), I got 2 copies, who gets them, if any?

Am I missing anything? from what I find on google, what I have should do, I just want to double double check before I send it off, and I don't really want to bother the gun shops more then I already since they're not making any $ off me this time

Thanks once again guys!!!
Old February 25, 2019, 11:37 AM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
AERacing1813 Before I send off my paperwork to obtain an SBR, I just want to make sure I have everything I need. I've looked around google and I find a lot of different things, I'd like some feed back from someone who's been in the similar situation
Although instructions are on the Form in detail, the instructions on AR15 are better: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/W...ons/17-465636/

Quote:
So, I'm looking to purchase an SBR off a friend of mine, he's selling as an Individual, I'm buying as a individual, no trust on either of us. will be purchasing it with cash, and bill of sale. State we live in is Arkansas.
1. Is it a rare SBR?
2. Is it a factory SBR?

I ask because it's the same $200 whether you make your own (a Form 1) or transfer (via Form 4).
If the seller was the maker, he was supposed to engrave his name and location on the firearm. That diminishes the value for most. If a factory SBR it will be engraved or marked by the manufacturer.
If the seller didn't engrave that gun don't buy it.

Quote:
SO...
I believe I just send in the 2 copies of the form4 (1 for ATF, 1 to return) to the listed address on top of it, along with passport photos paper clipped to both copes sent to the ATF, and mail off the CLEO pages to my local county sheriff?
Correct. Be aware that ATF recently changed the address you mail to....so use their current forms.

I never recommend mailing Forms to any local CLEO, always to the head of state police. Silencer Shop does the same.

Quote:
I read to do payment by credit/debt card that way the payment can be tracked compared to a money order, so thats my plan of payment.
I highly recommend paying by personal check. I have had no less than ten Form 4's kicked back because the bank clerk mistyped the CC number.

Quote:
- I also got my finger prints done at the local police HQ just incase since theyre free (FD-258), I got 2 copies, who gets them, if any?
Read the instructions again. (ATF get them)
Did you use that PD's cards or order your own from ATF?
That's important because ATF wants the NFA Branch ORI, not your local PD ORI.

Quote:
Am I missing anything? from what I find on google, what I have should do, I just want to double double check before I send it off, and I don't really want to bother the gun shops more then I already since they're not making any $ off me this time
Random googling rarely gets you the correct info.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 25, 2019, 07:58 PM   #3
AERacing1813

Dogtown Tom:

1) The web link provided from AR15.com i actually never came across, really helpful thank you!

2) the gun is the LWRC IC-PDW, to my knowledge it's a factory SBR as it's identical to what LWRC offers minus the optic I'd be getting. My buddy is a EX-Swat member for the local PD (injured on duty, no longer serves), he actually got it off the local gun shop's owner a few years ago which is a class 3 dealer here in town.

3) The address on the top of my forum printed from the ATF's sight is in Portland Oregon.

4) Payment, I already put my CC # on the form I guess I'll see what happens, it seems to be a hit or miss on what people say, but I do like the idea of knowing when they got it due to the withdraw on my statement, I think I'll stick to it and see.

5) The fingerprints I got done at my local police HQ. I actually was talking to an officer a few days prior about his form1 build... he wasn't sure if I needed them for the form4 or not, but recommended to get them done just incase. local police HQ cards worked fine for him.
Old February 25, 2019, 08:52 PM   #4
dogtown tom

Quote:
AERacing1813

5) The fingerprints I got done at my local police HQ. I actually was talking to an officer a few days prior about his form1 build... he wasn't sure if I needed them for the form4 or not, but recommended to get them done just incase. local police HQ cards worked fine for him.
ATF wants you to use the standard FD 258 cards with the ATF NFA ORI. If you use the local PD cards with local PD ORI you run the risk of the FBI returning your prints to the local PD. ATF usually catches wrong ORI's on FP cards and pastes over a correction tab. But if they miss yours, you're going to be waiting a very, very, very long time for your tax stamp.

So do this before you send in your FP cards.....put the correct ATF ORI over the local PD ORI.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 20, 2019, 04:16 PM   #5
R.FORTE

is there a consultant that can assist with this process?