The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 6, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Phxdog

Non-ported compensator for S&W 500 Mag?

Smith & Wesson offers a non-ported 'end cap' for the 460 magnum. I have often wondered why something similar is not offered for their 500 magnum. A brave (crazy?) soul on another forum modified a 460 blank to fit his 500 magnum (see below - edited).

This is how I did it:
Face the back of the compensator . . . a little bigger at .550 inch. It locks up snug in my revolver and it looks factory but it’s not!

He seems to be happy with the results, is still alive, and has all his fingers. Any thoughts from you Smiths?
Old November 6, 2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

500 Smith

Sir:
Enlighten me - how are the 500 Smith bbls secured - are they "tensioned" like the Dan Wessons were - or?
Harry B.
Old November 7, 2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Phxdog

H.B.-

I was not very clear . . . here are some picts that should help explain. He purchased the blank compensator made for the .460 Magnum (made by S&W), and had a gunsmith or machinist make a few changes to fit his 500 mag. He only machined the insert, no barrel modifications were made. The blank 'end-cap' (as S&W calls them) is attached via the allen screw like the original.

Would you shoot this thing?

Pdog.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Harry Bonar

500 Smith

Sir:
Thanks! Evidently the 500 bbl. screws to the frame in a normal threaded way and the end configuration is fastened another way. That's a pleasant suprise. I had thought it was a tensioned bbl. like Dan Wessons were.
Harry B.
Old March 20, 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
laea7777

I was wondering about this exact thing and found this thread googling.

I want to try firing my S&W 500 8 1/2" without the compensator but I think the muzzle blast may wear the protruding portion of the barrel shroud. This 'end cap' is exactly what I need. Any news on whether S&W ever offered one for the 500? I don't know why they would make this for the 460 and not the 500.

In case anyone's wondering, the reason I want to see if I can handle this cartridge without the compensator is mainly out of concern for my hearing. I read somewhere that even with foam plugs and ear muffs, you can still sustain permanent hearing loss with a round that blasts as much as this one does. I also read from numerous sources that a compensator increases decibels around the muzzle. Additionally, if I ever have to use it to defend against a charging bear, I probably won't have time to put ear muffs on.

I went to S&W's website and could not find an end cap for either the 460 or the 500.

I am aware that this thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.
Old September 9, 2009, 08:58 AM   #6
wyobohunter

Bumping an old thread

I would still like to get a blank compensator or "blank endcap" for my 500 S&W. My reason differs from the original poster as I'd like to handload some shotshells for the occasional Grouse/Ptarmigan while backpacking. I just got off the phone with S&W, they actually carried them for a very short time but they were a flop as far as sales go so they are no longer available. Does anybody know where to get one of these without having a custome job done at a machine shop?
Old September 28, 2009, 11:26 AM   #7
jjdeneen918

I just heard back from S&W too, via email. I found this posting via googling.

They no longer sell the blank end-cap.

Hopefully someone is sitting on a pile of new old-stock 460 end caps who would be interested in selling them...hopefully

anyone....
Old September 29, 2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Crosshair

A word of caution. My friend tried shooting his 500 S&W without the brake with some of the ammunition I loaded for him.

No problem with the 300 grain loads loaded to 50 AE specs.

Shooting the mid-range 400 grain loads was, according to him, "A very bad idea." That muzzle brake is there for a very good reason.

Last edited by Crosshair; September 30, 2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 30, 2009, 12:46 AM   #9
jjdeneen918

I intend on shooting this revolver (assuming I can obtain a blank end-cap) in 45-colt.

If I were hunting, I'd be loaded with 460, ported end-cap configuration.
Old March 22, 2022, 04:36 PM   #10
Mrproffitt

I’m new here and have searched the net until I’ve came to this site. I have a 500 Magnum and wanted one of these “blank end caps”. I’ve taken the measurements and the part is being made. What I’m wondering is, how well does it shoot after this is installed? Anyone have experience with it? My 500 is a 4” barrel with wood grips and I’m looking to get rid of some of the sideways muzzle blast. I know this thread is OLD as dirt, but I’m surprised there’s no more information available anywhere. Hopefully I can post pics of the entire process once I have the new end cap from the machinist and start fitting it to the barrel.
If you found this as I did, the ONLY way to have the Blank End Cap is to have it made. 460 and 500 both.
Old March 23, 2022, 08:11 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The last reply to this thread before yours was almost thirteen years ago. The original participants are mostly gone, some to their final reward. It is best, in this situation, to start a new post to get current readers to check it out and then include a link to this thread as background if you want them to see the photos. You will be more likely to get a useful responses that way.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle