The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 29, 1998, 12:59 AM   #1
Clay Whitehead

How many different shooting disciplines are you folks involved in? I can see IPSC and IDPA posts. Is anybody shooting anything else? This need not be just handgun. Tell us about your matches!!

Old November 29, 1998, 09:09 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Till recently I was IPSC and CAS. Would like to also try IDPA and three gun matches.
Old November 29, 1998, 05:54 PM   #3
motorep

3 gun - like IPSC only the courses are designed to be shot with rifle, pistol, & shotgun or some combination of those.
Old November 29, 1998, 09:19 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Clay,

Running Deer even though I'm no good at it. You get to fire three shots offhand at a large wooden silhouette of a deer. The distance is about 125 yards and the target is moving at about 8-10 mph (est.). I've never timed it but its probably no more than 12 seconds with which you get to shoot.

The rifles used varies from traditional hunting rifles (bolt, lever, pump, semiautomatic), surplus (M1 Garand, Mauser 98k, Enfields, Moisin Nagants), paramilitary semiautomatics (AR15, HK91, AKs, SKS, etc.) and highly customized with the fanciest being a scoped Mini30 with match barrel, muzzle break, glass bedded and vented (for rapid cooling) thumbhole stock.

Gary
Old November 29, 1998, 10:46 PM   #5
Michael Carlin

Competition is an opportunity to test one's training and skills. The person you really compete with in shooting is yourself.

I shoot NRA service rifle, USPSA, bowling pins (when I can find one), NRA convention pistol both rifle and pistol, and have shot international military competitions with the USAR combat rifle/pistol team.

I would really like to see some high power rifle, and bullseye pistol posts here. Have hesitiated in posting these as there seems to be limited interest. I you are reading this and have interests in these, say so!

yours in marksmanship

michael

------------------

Old November 29, 1998, 11:13 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement. That's exactly why I shoot running deer. It helps me with engaging moving targets with a rifle and it's a lot of fun. Use to do Trap Shooting, but that was before college.

Stay Safe,

Gary
Old December 4, 1998, 11:48 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

I shoot a lot of Shotugn events. My favorite is the two man flurry events, particular the one formerly run by Sporting Clays Magazine which travelled around the countrywith the Chevy Tahoe Wildlife Challegne promotion.
I also shoot 5-stand, trap and Sporting Clays.

My wife and I shoot in the GSSF events (in fact, her picture will be in the Glock Annual for 1999 in relation to GSSF Shoots) and we shoot in the Sportsman Team Challenge.

We just competed in the Grand National Waterfowl Hunt, which was a 5-shot duck hunting competition and we are planning on attending the Governor's One-Shot Turkey Shoot next spring.
Most of the people I hunt with find a way to make that a competition too. We find more ways to bet on a hunt than the local country club memebers do on a round of golf. (deer: Largest by wieght, smallest by weight above a minimum, largest rack, highest B&C score, longest tine, most worn back teeth. Upland birds: Most birds, lightest bird, heaviest bird, longest wingspan, longest tailfeather, best shot percentage. Turkey: Longestbeard, heaviest bird, longest spur, longest spur& beard combo, Biggest difference between beard and spur length...etc,etc, etc).

I don't really get to compete in IPSC much anymore and I haven't actually competed in an IDPA event yet, but my regular day at the range is kinda like an IPSC and IDPA event anyway, because of the way I like to shoot.

Competition is a great way to enjoy the shooting sports.

------------------
-Essayons