The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2000, 10:59 AM   #1
416Rigby

Hi, Guys

I am a relative neophyte in the realm of sporting guns. Having been a rifleman all my life, I have yet to learn about the finer points of shotgunning.

I am contemplating the purchase of an o/u for the field and perhaps sporting clays, and I have narrowed it down to 2 models:

1) The Beretta Silver Pigeon;

2) The Browning Citori Lightning;

The folks at my local gunshops seem to be divided on the issue.... some say go Browning, some swear by the Beretta.

Which gun do you guys think would be my best bet between these two models?

Thanks for the input.

------------------
Private gun ownership is the capital sin in the left's godless religion. Crime is merely a venial mistake.

Check out these gals: www.sas-aim.org
Old April 1, 2000, 06:33 PM   #2
K80Geoff

Both are good guns, get the one that feels best to you.

The Brownings have always seemed clunky to me, I prefer the Berettas. But there are dozens of Browning owners who probably think I'm all wet.

Try to shoot examples of both, then get the one that feels best to you. I would suggest going to a gunfitter to have the gun fit properly one you decide.

Geoff Ross
Old April 2, 2000, 03:15 PM   #3
2shots

416Rigby,
The Beretta will weigh about a pound less than a similar Browning and won't be as tall. Beretta's are often criticized for the shape of their grips; they are more severe compared to Browning and cramp some shooters' hands. Both are robust guns. I shoot two Berettas, a 12-gauge 686 Onyx with 30'' barrels and a 20-gauge 686 Silver Pigeon with 28'' barrels and a straight grip. But I'm seriously looking at a Browning for my next clays gun.

[This message has been edited by 2shots (edited April 02, 2000).]
Old April 2, 2000, 03:38 PM   #4
Josh D

I haven't shot either, but I have a friend who swears by a Beretta O/U, with a zebra stripe stock nonetheless, and he shoots a single under barrel on it 75% of the time.

Darn good with it, he's only 17 and is beating 50 and 60 year olds who have shot all their life.
Old April 6, 2000, 12:46 AM   #5
Arizona Eric

Handle both and pick one. They each have a distinct feel, I went for the Browning and never looked back, my buddy took the Beretta and never looked back either. Each are fine guns, but the Browning felt more "natural" to me.
Old April 7, 2000, 02:25 AM   #6
blades67

That is a tough choice. If it were mine to make, I would choose the Beretta. I just like the way they feel in the hand and on the shoulder.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old April 9, 2000, 07:12 PM   #7
El Chimango Pete

Whichever (and I have a Berettta 20 but the Browning Citori will do fine) - the 'fit' and feel of a shotgun is much more important than in a rifle - its the shotgun's "sight" as you aim with your body-gun combination
Peter Knight