The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2017, 11:39 AM   #1
bspillman

Choke tube question

I just bought a H&R turkey gun. The gun came with an extended full turkey choke. I also have a modified choke that is not intended to be extended. I can screw the choke in until it tightens but it sticks out the end of the barrel ever so slightly. Is this an issue?
Old April 19, 2017, 11:50 AM   #2
FITASC

Did you use the wrench to tighten it all the way? If so, and the flush chokes still sticks out, I would call the folks at RemlinH&R and ask them. An extended choke is supposed to stick out, a flush choke is not - as its names says, it is supposed to be flush with the muzzle - something in between is not right.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 19, 2017, 12:32 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Based entirely on the web site picture(that may not be the actual Pardner Turkey with the changeable choke.) it looks like it sit flush to me. Like FITASC says, best you call and ask. Kind of odd there's no email.
http://www.hr1871.com/about/contactus.asp
Old April 19, 2017, 12:33 PM   #4
bspillman

After looking at the two the extended choke has more threads on it.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Virginian

As long as it is screwed in as far as it will go and the base is not protruding into the bore it is not an issue. I have seen tons of "flush" choke tubes that protrude up to 1/8 of an inch out the front of the barrel. Will not affect the patters one bit.
Old April 19, 2017, 05:43 PM   #6
BigJimP

clean the threads inside the barrel with a solvent ( a tooth brush works pretty well ) ...and the threads on the flush choke.../ ...and then lube them with something like CLP heavily ...the point is to get the choke tube to thread into the barrel easily ...with just your fingers ( no wrench required ).

I suspect you have some grease or crud in the threads inside the barrel...