The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 16, 2008, 08:20 PM   #1
brendon_corbitt

AK suppressor

So I have an AK-47 built off of a romanian parts kit that I would like to suppress. I'm assuming any suppressor made for 7.62/.30 cal would work. The end of the barrel is threaded under the muzzle brake (left had thread) and I was wondering if there where any companies that make suppressors that would work with those threads so I wouldn't have to make any modifications to my AK? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:48 AM   #2
Beretta686

Call Bryon at Major Malfunction. Here's his website:

http://www.major-malfunction.com/

If it's out there he'll know about it.

He knows alot, has unbeatable prices and is a fellow Cav officer, so you can't really go wrong.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 17, 2008, 11:02 AM   #3
brendon_corbitt

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out
Old March 24, 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
LiquidTension7

The AAC 762-SD is a great can. You'd have to mount the QD flash hider, but that's no big deal - clean the threads and apply a little Rocksett. You really don't want a thread-on can on anything that is going to be putting out a high volume of fire. Cans get VERY hot very fast and you don't want to have to keep tightening the thing back on after every mag.
Old March 24, 2008, 08:36 PM   #5
douglasschuckert

I agree. AAC's cans are good. 'good' being the operative word.

You can use any .30 cal can out there. I would use SWR's .30 can. Its going to be the quietest one out there. (ANY .308 can will work).

If you've never shot a suppressed rifle caliber before, you're going to be VERY disapointed in the performance unless you're shooting subsonics (with sub's the AK isn't going to cycle reliably). On a M4 a VERY good can will make the 5.56/.223 report that of an unsuppressed .22LR. A silenced .30 cal (7.62x39 - AK or 7.62x51 - 308 - same bullet, different powder loads) will sound like a .22LR but with the additional sound of someone throwing a thick phone book on a hard surface (plus the deeper echo).

Either way, you're ears are still going to ring, people will still know what the sound was, and you're still going to be disapointed expecting more of what you see in the movies. The ONLY thing a suppressor does on a long-gun is to help hide the shooters location.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old March 27, 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
brendon_corbitt

Thanks for the info everyone, it's given me a lot to take a look around at. I know what I'm getting myself into as well, I shot an M-4 with a can on it (no idea what type) once in the sandbox so I know how loud rifles really are suppressed. But thanks for looking out for me.
Old March 28, 2008, 05:56 PM   #7
LiquidTension7

Subsonic .308s are really quiet with a good can. AAC demo'd some subsonics at the last Silencertest.com shoot. I think the guy said that it's 18" low at 100 yards...

As stated above, your AK probably won't cycle. Subsonic hand loads in my AR won't cycle the action either.