The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 10:34 PM   #26
guns and more

I'm not a fan of the 20 ga. If you get her the youth model, it will have the recoil of a 12 ga. (due to the light weight.)
I'd say get her a .410 or just go with the 12 ga. and smaller loads.

A while back I recommended a 20 ga. for a lady friend, she bought the youth model for the fit, and she hates shooting it.
Old September 16, 2009, 01:13 AM   #27
dabigguns357

I'll agree,let her pick the shotgun.My wife and i went through this back last year.I took my family on vacation and while there a friend took us out to the range with he and his wife,while there my wife expressed some interest when she saw my friends wife shooting.Next thing you know both women were out shooting shotguns and then i heard some thing that made my jaw drop,she loved it so much she wanted her own shotgun

After testing both a 20 g and a .410 she choose the .410 youth model,now she keeps it by the bed as her go gun if i'm away.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:06 AM   #28
armsmaster270

My wife loves her Browning BPS Youth 20ga.
Old September 16, 2009, 02:15 PM   #29
Evyl Robot

Check out my wife with her 12-gauge Defender!

Old September 16, 2009, 10:32 PM   #30
David the Gnome

Well we're in luck because there's a gun show in town this weekend. I'll be taking her around the stalls and let her pick out one that fits her best. If we don't see anything we may order one of those CZ's.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:33 PM   #31
LanceOregon

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the 20 ga. If you get her the youth model, it will have the recoil of a 12 ga. (due to the light weight.)

I'd say get her a .410 or just go with the 12 ga. and smaller loads.

A while back I recommended a 20 ga. for a lady friend, she bought the youth model for the fit, and she hates shooting it.

Absolute nonsense!! Having a proper fitting stock is crucial to good shotgun shooting. If she is a petite woman, then a youth/woman's model shotgun would clearly fit her better.

A .410 is no where close to being either an effective hunting or self-defense round. And the ammo is way more expensive than 20 gauge ammo too. So the recommendation for a .410 is an extremely poor one to make.

Getting either the CZ 720 or Franchi 720 short stock models will be very easy shooting, due to their gas operated action. Both of these guns are 3" inch magnums, too. So one can get 3" magnum ammo with 12 gauge like heavy load performance if you want to.

--
Old September 16, 2009, 10:45 PM   #32
roy reali

.410?

Quote:
A .410 is no where close to being either an effective hunting or self-defense round. And the ammo is way more expensive than 20 gauge ammo too. So the recommendation for a .410 is an extremely poor one to make.
I couldn't agree more. Great reply!
Old September 17, 2009, 05:47 AM   #33
darkgael

As fond as I am of the .410 bore, it is not a good recommendation in this situation - for the reasons already cited. It's an expert's gun, not a beginner's.
Pete
Old September 17, 2009, 07:31 AM   #34
b.thomas

Remington 20 gauge 1100 youth model would be perfect!
Old September 17, 2009, 03:39 PM   #35
LanceOregon

Quote:
Remington 20 gauge 1100 youth model would be perfect!

Except that Remington has unfortunately discontinued production of that shotgun and no longer makes it.

So finding one is not going to be easy. I checked gunbroker.com, and there is one used one in real nice condition for sale there for $500

I own 4 Remington 700 rifles myself, and have mainly been a big fan of Remington products over the years. But the decisions that the company has made lately in discontinuing good products, and coming out with new products of rather dubious benefit and design, really has me wondering about the folks that are now calling the shots there.

--
Old September 19, 2009, 08:57 PM   #36
David the Gnome

She ended up picking the Remington 870 in 20 gauge. I'm going to take her out next weekend and shoot some clay pigeons. Should be a lot of fun.