The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 19, 2018, 03:52 PM   #51
Scorch

Quote:
Who makes the classic American game hunting rifle?
Quote:
Every manufacturer, everywhere, makes that exact rifle.
No, not really, because the OP said
Quote:
CRF action with a fixed extractor and slick bolt
3 position bolt safety
And when you put in both CRF (which eliminates Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Sako, Tikka, actually most rifle makers) AND 3-position safety, you are left with a pretty scant field. Let's see . . .

Winchester Model 70 Classic
Ruger Hawkeye
Kimber 8400 or 84

I can't think of any others right off the top of my head. There are possibly a couple more. But the list gets small pretty fast!
Old September 19, 2018, 04:00 PM   #52
Dano4734

45/70 with those magnum Buffalo Bore. Twisted this old guy up like my fishing line. Very quickly I started reloading my own to keep from becoming a knot. A marlin lever action

Last edited by Dano4734; September 19, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old September 21, 2018, 04:59 AM   #53
Nathan

So, what do you think...Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5x55

The only problem is they are a bit rare....they also made it in 275 Rigby, but that is even more rare!
Old September 21, 2018, 06:27 AM   #54
jersurf101

Winchester
Old September 21, 2018, 11:47 AM   #55
chemcal

American Game Hunting rifle(with 0pen mind)

a model 725 Remington in 30-06 or 280; exquisite rifle!
Old September 21, 2018, 04:16 PM   #56
Scorch

Quote:
Quote:
So, what do you think...Ruger Hawkeye African 6.5x55
Nice rifle, Just about everything you said you were looking for. I'm not a fan of iron sights on my rifles nowadays, I put the money towards better glass.
Quote:
they also made it in 275 Rigby, but that is even more rare!
Now that gets my interest. I owned and hunted with a Ruger M77 in 7X57 for many years (7X57 is the metric designation, .275 Rigby is the British designation). It killed deer, hogs, jackrabbits, ground squirrels, coyotes, you name it.
Old September 21, 2018, 07:38 PM   #57
BBarn

The Hawkeye is a very nice gun and the African meets most of the OP criteria. I'm not sure about the safety however. If you want a safety that blocks trigger movement in one safe position, and blocks trigger movement and locks the bolt down in the second safety position, the Hawkeye meets that criteria. However I, if you want a bolt mounted safety, a safety that directly blocks the striker, or a safety that permits bolt disassembly without tools, I believe you will need to look elsewhere.
Old September 22, 2018, 08:32 AM   #58
LineStretcher

As to the question in the subject line, there are basically 3, Winchester, Remmington and Savage. Walk into any hunting camp and you'll find them. As for the one classic that everyone drooled over, that would be the Weatherby Mark V. Caliber preference varies all over the board but in all my years of hunting, it really didn't make a huge difference. Each hunter knew his rifle simply because very few had more than one.
Old September 22, 2018, 10:19 AM   #59
Nathan

Quote:
However I, if you want a bolt mounted safety, a safety that directly blocks the striker, or a safety that permits bolt disassembly without tools, I believe you will need to look elsewhere.
I think the Ruger locks the striker in position 3...
Old September 22, 2018, 10:28 AM   #60
Nathan

Pick from 3

Quote:
As to the question in the subject line, there are basically 3, Winchester, Remmington and Savage. Walk into any hunting camp and you'll find them.
I have looked those over. The pre-64 Winchester model 70 was the classic, right? Why? And it was based on the classic hunting rifles of early Africa hunting made from sporterized military Mausers.

What do these all have in common? Great mid range calibers like 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 30’06, 270 win....bolt safety, controlled round feed, fixed ejector

Quote:
As for the one classic that everyone drooled over, that would be the Weatherby Mark V. Caliber preference varies all over the board but in all my years of hunting, it really didn't make a huge difference. Each hunter knew his rifle simply because very few had more than one.
I agree...Mark V 257 Weatherby!
Old September 22, 2018, 12:23 PM   #61
BBarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think the Ruger locks the striker in position 3...
The safety tab combined with the notch in the striker appears that it might prevent the striker from moving forward more than about 0.1". However I'm not sure the geometries of the parts are actually suitably designed to overcome the very strong striker spring used, especially given a small running start of the striker. It's not easy to test the reliability of the striker notch/safety tab without permanently altering the safety, so I haven't tested it myself. Don't get me wrong, I like and use a Hawkeye myself. I'm just attempting to accurately represent the design.

Winchester's bolt shroud mounted safety is considerably different in the details, but the Ruger design does offer functionality that is somewhat similar, if not completely suitable. Though I greatly prefer the Winchester M70 safety and trigger design over the Ruger, I always seem to find Rugers instead of Winchesters when I'm looking for a hunting rifle. So I've hunted mostly with the Rugers; with success, and without incident.
Old September 23, 2018, 07:17 AM   #62
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I have looked those over. The pre-64 Winchester model 70 was the classic, right? Why?
No....it IS a classic but it is not THE "Classic".....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_70

Jerry

Last edited by Nunya53; September 23, 2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old September 23, 2018, 09:36 AM   #63
Nathan

BBarn,

I completely agree with your sentiment. I was just pointing out the Ruger’s capability. I have looked at one closely, but not been able to adequately determine if it works. Being a Ruger, i’d assume it works. It does engage with a flat spot to the striker and it does have a detent to hold it there.

I too prefer the Winchester setup, but the few super grades I have handled were a bit rough and wobbled in the bolt. Kimber executes this safety better.

Kimber are fine guns in my opinion, but there is so little action and barrel metal on them. The are probably safe and balance well, but I don’t think I could shoot that accurately at that weight. It would make me another whiner on the web about accuracy....